Dean Guitars 2022

• Thread starter HeHasTheJazzHands
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Spaced Out Ace

Reaction score
It might, I can't really visualize it as it seems to me it will accentuate the length of the ML and make it look like the body is slimmer. But Random stars with Jackson, ESP pointy headstocks do look cool so it might work. I don't think I've ever seen an ML though without a split headstock.
I think the Jackson/Charvel, Kramer, ESP, etc. Stars with sharp headstocks look kind of off. The hockey stick variety works better in my opinion.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
dcrmletflsbg.png

Fishmans, Evertune, Ash body. 1800 bucks. Only 100 made.

I dunno. I kinda want it but I'm wondering if it wouldn't be better just waiting for it to show up on the used market since I already see I'm gonna have to swap some parts out...but goddamn that's pretty

I’d fuck with that

Kyle Jordan

Ace of Knaves
Reaction score
I'm like in the minority of people that like the shrimpfork apparently. :lol:

83_Elite-06.jpg.42fa0db6c42d9955f71faafd76d10618.jpg

I also like the new 6-in-line they introduced.

md24frmvor.png

...That's about it. :lol:

I like the split headstock, and the shimpfork. The inline I can do without.

I played a USA Vinman and it was a really excellent guitar, despite the crappy headstock. I would really like a Cadillac, even a Korean one, but every time I find one for a decent price I talk myself out of it. :lol:

I have hated Les Pauls and most Gibson or Gibson-type solid bodies for decades at this point.

If I were to get a large amount of extra fun money for some reason though, a custom shop Cadillac with the shrimpfork headstock would be bought. I’ve wanted one since seeing the “Me And My Wine” video when I was a kid.

Hollowway

Extended Ranger
Reaction score
I fucking love them assuming you have light tension. They're kinda finicky and unless you have heavy gauge strings you can't do the flutter thing too well but you can max them out both ways way more easily than a floyd and are great if you crank the hell out of your trem. They feel a lot more smooth to use than a floyd plus assuming you don't change string tension changing strings takes the same amount of time as a hardtail. Divebombs aren't as stable as a floyd in regards to tuning, you normally need to pull up to reset it after you drop pitch.

It's not a subtle effect since it's not based off of a strat trem but they are very very good at what they do, which is going apeshit with the bar. Plus screw in arm as a default and they're pretty easy to set up/modify. Definitely more expensive and less versatile than a floyd but a hell of a lot more aggressive and easier to live with.
Dang, I was going to respond with the opposite. You feel you can max them out both ways more easily than a Floyd? My Kahlers have far less pitch change than my Floyds. I think I can be way more crazy on the Floyd’s than the Kahlers. The Kahlers seem more subtle, because I can push the bar all the way down to the body and only have the high e string go down 1 to 1.5 steps.

Reaction score
I’d fuck with that

So I constantly make fun of the folks in here who demand a company make a guitar catered to their specs for next to nothing, and the "I'd buy it if this one small thing was changed..otherwise no" type folk..and now I am one

When I first saw that guitar in video I was ready to buy it on the spot, then I learned it was ash and I was already looking to see if it was for sale....and then..then I saw the price.

1800 bucks for a guitar I'll have to add locking tuners to and swap the pickups on? I'll already have to put a SD Triple shot on it..so we've already gone to 2k. Dean guitars are known for their V necks..so they put a slim C on this one...why?

I get it, they're trying to make this ML the bait to catch modern guitarists and get them into the shape. It's not really for people who are already ML fans. But considering I just bought a ML Select for 700 and spent about 300 customizing it..I have the perfect guitar with everything I want for half the price.

I'd honestly rather just buy two more Selects and mod them for 2K, which would make more sense because now my current one is my pride and joy and if anything happened to it I'd be devastated. Having a backup and a backup for the backup makes more sense than getting that ML just because I like the color.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
So I constantly make fun of the folks in here who demand a company make a guitar catered to their specs for next to nothing, and the "I'd buy it if this one small thing was changed..otherwise no" type folk..and now I am one

When I first saw that guitar in video I was ready to buy it on the spot, then I learned it was ash and I was already looking to see if it was for sale....and then..then I saw the price.

1800 bucks for a guitar I'll have to add locking tuners to and swap the pickups on? I'll already have to put a SD Triple shot on it..so we've already gone to 2k. Dean guitars are known for their V necks..so they put a slim C on this one...why?

I get it, they're trying to make this ML the bait to catch modern guitarists and get them into the shape. It's not really for people who are already ML fans. But considering I just bought a ML Select for 700 and spent about 300 customizing it..I have the perfect guitar with everything I want for half the price.

I'd honestly rather just buy two more Selects and mod them for 2K, which would make more sense because now my current one is my pride and joy and if anything happened to it I'd be devastated. Having a backup and a backup for the backup makes more sense than getting that ML just because I like the color.

If we picking nits I would be even more excited if it was a Z

TheBolivianSniper

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Dang, I was going to respond with the opposite. You feel you can max them out both ways more easily than a Floyd? My Kahlers have far less pitch change than my Floyds. I think I can be way more crazy on the Floyd’s than the Kahlers. The Kahlers seem more subtle, because I can push the bar all the way down to the body and only have the high e string go down 1 to 1.5 steps.

Oh weird, both the Burny LP and Hondo RR I had let me completely slack the strings and pull up as much as a floyd. I could actually dive so hard on the Hondo the strings would fall off the fretboard a little but that just might've been the nut. Maybe it's your setup?

In other news I got to fuck with a Bigsby yesterday and that was the silliest trem I've ever touched. Really subtle effect but it felt pretty good and usable, minus the fact that it held tune worse than those absolute shit tier jackson branded floyd specials.

Last edited:

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
In other news I got to fuck with a Bigsby yesterday and that was the silliest trem I've ever touched. Really subtle effect but it felt pretty good and usable, minus the fact that it held tune worse than those absolute shit tier jackson branded floyd specials.
I never understood the tremendous amount of nostalgia towards Bigsby's. It wasn't the first trem, nor was it even the most distributed trem during the heyday of rock and roll. It was the best design available for only a short time (Introduced in '52, Fender released his trem in '54). I guess "because Gibson?" even though Gibson had developed their own trem system that was superior in every way to the Bigsby by the early 1960's.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
I never understood the tremendous amount of nostalgia towards Bigsby's. It wasn't the first trem, nor was it even the most distributed trem during the heyday of rock and roll. It was the best design available for only a short time (Introduced in '52, Fender released his trem in '54). I guess "because Gibson?" even though Gibson had developed their own trem system that was superior in every way to the Bigsby by the early 1960's.

Bigsby trems are great, but they are really more associated with Gretsch than any other company. Gibson did some after-market work with them though.

USMarine75

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously
Contributor
Reaction score
Oh weird, both the Burny LP and Hondo RR I had let me completely slack the strings and pull up as much as a floyd. I could actually dive so hard on the Hondo the strings would fall off the fretboard a little but that just might've been the nut. Maybe it's your setup?

It's incredible for pitch vibrato, especially chords.

Slightly less usable for Vai and Satch shenanigans tho :lol:.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score

Just like a Floyd, the Bigsby needs a good setup - especially a well cut nut. Once you have the guitar dialed in, the Bigsby will stay in tune well and do its thing which is super distinctive - smooth pitch vibrato.

bostjan

MicroMetal
Contributor
Reaction score
Bigsby trems are great, but they are really more associated with Gretsch than any other company. Gibson did some after-market work with them though.
Gretch owned Bigsby from around 2000 until fairly recently. There are, I think, less than ten original Bigsby's documented prior to when Bigsby sold his stake to Tim McCarty (thus the Gibson connection). They (not the original pieces, but copies of the design) were certainly pretty rare, but not so rare you'd never see them, when I started playing. It seems like after Gretch bought the rights, there were suddenly ten times as many of them out in the wild.

Before 2000, I had a friend who had a Guild electric that had one, and I saw maybe two in stores on Epiphone semihollows, out of close to ten thousand guitars I had seen come through. In fact, I've met more people with six fingers than I've seen pre-2000 guitars with Bigsby's.

ArtDecade

Way Cool Jr
Reaction score
Before 2000, I had a friend who had a Guild electric that had one, and I saw maybe two in stores on Epiphone semihollows, out of close to ten thousand guitars I had seen come through. In fact, I've met more people with six fingers than I've seen pre-2000 guitars with Bigsby's.

My 50s Gretsch guitars (Jet and 6120) both have their original Bigsby trems. I bought these back in the 90s when no one wanted them. Heck, I was buying Ricks for 400 bucks through the late 90s. Then the Internet.

sell2792

Reaction score
How are Kahler trems?

Ive owned three guitars with Kahlers, ranging from the low end models (X-Trem?) to the USA models. I enjoy how smooth they are, and how easy it is to manipulate the bar. IIRC, you can also lock them down with an allen key to make them into a hard tail too.

AltecGreen

Reaction score
Should I assume the chances of not needing to import it from Japan are close to nil?

Pretty much. It's a moot point right now since there's no stock at the moment since these get made in batches and they sell out fast. There are a couple of the ML models she uses for sale right now as well as the Infinite (Japanese brand) that she uses occasionally.

Accoun

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would assume so. Japan gets a lot of cool stuff.

I wasn't sure if Dean was one of the companies to play exclusives for Japan, but I guess most Japanese bands aren't really popular enough in the West to warrant a worldwide release. Wata's Earthquaker Devices fuzz is probably the only exception and that's a different kind of product with different manufacturing. And yeah, that's still ignoring the aforementioned stock issues.

')