Dean Guitars 7 string design

• Thread starter Orsinium
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Orsinium

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am participating in an event at my school to create a design for a guitar for Dean Guitars. My group and I have decided to design a 7 string because we love them dearly. I thought it would be a good idea to ask none other than the seven string playing community what they are looking for when they want to purchase a 7 string. Here are a couple things I personally look for: Is it Affordable? Is it versatile? More color options? Pickup options? Scale Length? Tremolo? Neck-thru or Bolt on?

Let me hear from you guys!

P.S. If my group wins this event our guitar design will be made into a limited run of models so be on the lookout in the next year for a new Dean 7 string that is definitely going to be unique.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
1) Don't make it a Dean...

I joke... :lol:

But yeah, affordable sounds good to me. Not many people buy the higher-end Deans, from what I see.

No trem, IMO. Hardtail it. :D

Anything passive-routed. As much as I like EMG's, their huge-ass routes are a big turnoff for a lot of people here.

Scale length... 25.5 - 26.5 sounds good to me.

And I vote bolt-on.

Orsinium

Reaction score
I was trying to convince my team to go with some dimarzio's they are cheaper than emgs and have lots of tonal possiblities. Thanks for your input man every bit of it counts.

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Make it a Korina ML.

For no other reason then I've always wondered what one would look like.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
And for the love of god, if you DO use the ML shape, DON'T do the reverse V headstock. :rofl:

I say either use the 7-in-line Mustaine headstock, or try to make a 4x3 variant of it.

headstock-front_jpg.jpg

Thyrif

Reaction score
Yeah, make it classy, Dean already has too many idiotic "way out there" designs. The RC7 is nice though (although one could argue on the finish).
I'd also like it to be not too expensive, focus on tone and ergonomics. Fixed bridge, bolt on, Dimarzios, simple paddle or 4+3 headstock, maple board? And then make some cool shape that's still easy to play and not in the way. (Like the Iceman/Fireman or altered superstrat or something, not a V which are really hard to sit with)

For example, this one is just plain AWESOME:
iceman201k01hdr.jpg

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I think Ibanez would be pissed if they made an Iceman. :lol:

Why not a Soltero 7? There's only 4 single-cut 7's in the market right now, and only 3 are actually available world-wide, to my knowledge. And if you're going to do a Superstrat (which I really wouldn't be a fan of, because the market is SATURATED with them. :rofl:), I say try to make a basis around the MAB shape.

Thyrif

Reaction score
I think Ibanez would be pissed if they made an Iceman. :lol:

Why not a Soltero 7? There's only 4 single-cut 7's in the market right now, and only 3 are actually available world-wide, to my knowledge. And if you're going to do a Superstrat (which I really wouldn't be a fan of, because the market is SATURATED with them. :rofl:), I say try to make a basis around the MAB shape.

Haha, no I just meant an alternate shape. The Iceman was just an example I knew that turned out awesome! Singlecuts might also turn out great, if the access is good. Just be careful the woods-types don't make it too bassy with all that wood.

WiseSplinter

Reaction score
Not sure if this will fit with your plans, will probably be kind of niche, but what i want in my next 7 is:

1) multiscale, not too extreme, maybe 25.5 - 26.5, subtle but effective
2) natural wood finish, though only if you use nice woods (burl!)
3) fixed bridge
4) piezo
5) slanted BKP's to go with the fan

Probably won't be very popular but hey, a guy can dream right?

Maggai

Slayer of the gods
Reaction score
I like this guitar, except for the headstock. Sevenstring version of this would be sweet.
Hipshot bridge and some DiMarzios would be nice!

deceiverfmtbl.jpg

-42-

Nothing to see here
Reaction score
Yeah, just make this with a symmetric headstock (like the Flying V 7) and a white/cream pickguard. Dean has some classy shapes, they just ruin them with tacky paintjobs and headstocks. Not to mention that Korina is an awesome wood, non-superstrat 7s almost all seem to be br00tal shapes, and that the more passive routed sevens, the better.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

Reaction score
Do a Z shape. The world needs more explorer shaped 7s

25.5" scale, dimarzio d-activators. Transparent black finish with the mustaine 7 in line headstock. Hardtail.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Do a Z shape. The world needs more explorer shaped 7s

25.5" scale, dimarzio d-activators. Transparent black finish with the mustaine 7 in line headstock. Hardtail.

:agreed: to the Dean Z or a Zero 7. I forgot how awesome 7-string Explorers are. Hell, we have less Explorer 7s on the market compares to singlecuts. :lol:

Orsinium

Reaction score
Hey guys thanks for all the input it really helps to create the best instrument. What my team and I have so far for the design is probably going to be a 4+3 headstock we are hoping we can have multiple finish options one of which would be natural. The shape we know is going to have ultra access like the RC or JP musicman guitars and we are looking at maybe doing a carved slimmer version like an s series ibby or like an archtop, but anything is still game on the shape. I'm hoping we could have an option for pickups ofcourse their will be EMG's (sadly but everyone always seems to want them) and some set of Dimarzios (Crunchlab maybe if its not licensed to where JP has to approve it, or D-Activators or Tonezone). We were also throwing around the multiscale idea although were not sure how happy Dean would be were taking away all of Rusty's thunder haha. Really were just trying to create the most affordable and versatile instrument that people will be interested in.

Latest posts

')