Dean Guitars - Why all the hate?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xiphos68

Reaction score
I played a Razorback one time that was made in Korea. It was cool as all could get out. But the neck felt bad, pickups weren't great, and I wasn't all about the tremolo. For all of that guitar you have to pay 1300$. Which isn't worth it at all. The only Dean guitar I've ever liked was a cheap 7 string vendetta they use to make. It was pretty cool and the pickups sounded decent too. Besides that I've never played a Dean I've actually liked.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sebastian

Reaction score
Even a £3000 hand built razorback or Dime shaped thing is going to suck because it's a terrible shape, it's uncomfortable to play and hold

For me the "ML" shape is the most comfortable shape ever, both in the sitting and standing position. Perfect.

and the headstock, the Dean/WashburnDime headstock fits the shape :yesway:, IMO an ML with a regular headstock looks... a bit weird

soliloquy

Reaction score
for those who say that dean is just a metal brand, they did create the dean soltero and hardtail. and they do have someone like Leslie West in thier roster!!!!

for those who aren't familiar with LW:

but i mean, seriously, LOOK at these things!!

DSC_0015.jpg

SOLTEROVCB_b_jpg.jpg

ht_0811106.jpg

also, perhaps mustain didn't move over to dean for money but due to his relationship with the metallica guys. perhaps ESP was giving them a bigger name and daves ego got in the way?

he normally is a dick about these kinda things, yet he genuinely seems happy with them.

ammot claims he switched over to follow his idol, shenker. same is true for vinnie moore

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
jackson bought by fender???!!?

Sadly, yeah. And the price of Jacksons skyrocketed. They're so expensive it blows me away. Here in Canada (at least for a while) an RR5 was 1600 bucks. You can get a brand new ESP Eclipse II for 1700 bucks.

Handmade > factory.

Murmel

Reaction score
I would tune the whole damn thing to perfection, locked the nut, pulled one divebomb and the whole thing was out again :scream: Never could figure out how Trivium did it for so long :scratch:
Trivium most likely didn't get licensed FRs on their guitars but originals. And they were probably hand made too, unlike the factory versions of them which are shit. Kinda sad, I do like the ML shape but the headstock is awful, even though I can't see any other headstock matching the body.. It's a comfortable shape too if you ask me.

But.. Every Dean I've played has been awful and felt like a 100$ Squire..
And fuck the name-rape, they should show some respect to Dime.

Jack Secret

Reaction score
Dean made a limited edition Rik Emmett of Triumph V as well. So limited, I never saw it for sale anywhere. :hber:

EDIT: It's on Amazon for $3450 USD. The F**K I'd spend that much on a Dean.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
The hate is because it's trendy to hate dean. Some people actually have legitimate reasons, but I get the feeling most don't.

jbcrazy

Reaction score
The hate is because it's trendy to hate dean. Some people actually have legitimate reasons, but I get the feeling most don't.

Yes I LOVE the Hardtail. Well.. I LOVED the hardtail. As in I don't own one anymore. Their USA stuff is well well made. At least back in the 90s early 2000s. I haven't kept up with the new stuff even before Dean Zelinsky had left.

I do agree that what they're doing to Dimebag is just wrong on so many levels. Let him and his name rest. So much disrespect.

vampiregenocide

Reaction score

The general concensus is that either their use of the Dimebag name is wrong or that they don't make good guitars. :shrug:

xxGuy

Reaction score
The quality in general of their guitars went way down a few years ago, the production models they put out now just feel really cheap. The fact that they milk Dime's name is pretty unsettling, considering Dime said many times that he did not like "signature guitars", that they were just labels- I believe Dean even has a Dime amp on the market now.

Reaction score
If you're defending Dean then it definitely isn't on rational grounds. Go to a music shop that stocks Deans and play a guitar then play a number of other guitars around the same price from different brands. There's rather a large difference in both features and quality.

This is not to say that ALL Deans suck, but that there are far better options out there for the money.

AliceAxe

Reaction score
I had no bias until I tryed one of the 7 strings recently. I hated it. The feel of it was awful , it made NOT want to play it. thats rare for me I'm a sucker for cheep guitars.
But it did have a much lower price than the other 7s , it was definatly an 'entry level' guitar. So you are getting what you pay for, and as long as your intent is to buy a low-priced entry level guitar, than I guess its a fair deal. Personaly if I didnt have the cash for top gear (which I never do) I would rather buy an old cosmeticaly beat up guitar or one I could repair , that I like the feel of

I also hate the blatant exploitation of Dime. But then thats a common thing with any dead artist isn't it? Doesnt make it right tho.

Rashputin

Reaction score
The guitars are ugly, 95% of the time. When they aren't ugly, they're overpriced.

Agreed. I just find them "plasticy" and unstable. Ive played some of the mid priced ones, but they left me with a really cheap impression. Everything from the neck, the finish to the hardware seemed cheap. Then again I havent tried the higher priced ones.

And many of them are uglier than "#¤"#¤. Even a lower priced LTD feels thighter and higher quality than those overpriced Deans.

If anybody disagrees; great! Somone obviously likes these guitars, so thats good for Dean. I think Dimebag (RIP) is a HUGE part of the reason why the company is still around.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
wow, alot of responses to this thread. seems alot of people feel the same way about deans & have a valid reasons for their opinions. a few who love them have also chimed in & conclude some if it is grapevine...so to sum up:

1. the total "rape" of the dimebag name
2. poor quality materials & guitars
3. q.c. issues - letting crap & little details go out the door
3. overpriced compared to other models in the same price range

thanks guys - right or wrong, this thread has helped me understand why they are hated so much here.

i have the titles to my next few threads:

gibson guitars - why all the hate?
fender guitars - why all the hate?
krank amps - why all the hate? (see: dean guitars - why all the hate) :lol:

soliloquy

Reaction score
the dimebag name rape is kind of a moot taht dean themselves aren't exactly responsible for, but dimes family. his wife and brother milk the name. dean just sits in the back and says 'sure, we make money, so whatever', while his wife is saying 'i dont do shit, and my husband was famous. lets milk him more. dean, will you help me?'

kurt cobain is dead, yet you still hear him over the radio
2 of the beatles are dead
michael jackson is dead
elvis is dead
hendrex is dead...

etc, yet you see radio, tv, music, guitar companies constantly make money off of the dead guys.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
...well bad as i hate to i'd still like one of mustaine's angel of deth v's (used at least). anyone out there played one yet? how does it compare to dave's jackson king sig (i have) in terms of neck speed & comfort?

i plan on getting another washburn dime ml like i had but one of higher end model any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

')