Dean Guitars - Why all the hate?

• Thread starter M3CHK1LLA
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
This isn't even relevant, but...

What do Dean haters here think of DBZ guitars? :scratch:

I think they're absolutely fucking hideous. I mean to each his own, and they seem to be quality, but I can't look at them for too long without my stomach starting to hurt and my gag reflex to start twitching.

I've seen some REALLLLY fugly guitars in my days and the DBZ line-up is just about some of the worst as far as non-novelty, production guitars go.

I will say though, that I applaud them for taking the high road and not making all carbon copies of other designs, like 90% of makers out there.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I agree - with most of their stuff - but I did like the look of the Cavalos and Mondials.

Some of them aren't too bad, then again the Cavallo is a pretty straight forward V and the Mondial is just the Dean Hardtail PRS-type shape. In fact the Imperial isn't too bad either.

Actually, just looking at their site again, and it seems a lot of the models I really didn't like have "gone missing". I guess they got the hint. :lol:

Rich5150

Reaction score
I actually dig the Bird of Pray though it looks like I would snap it in half if i got too agressive with it

eaeolian

Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah, there are a fair share of lemons, but has anyone looked at all the absolute GARBAGE that Jackson, Ibanez, Agile, Squire, Epiphone, and others have been putting out in the same price bracket?

Uh, in the mid-range ($600-$1000) where most of the Dean imports live, the Jacksons kick the shit out of them, as does what Schecter has in that range. That said, in that range they're not particularly bad, although their lows tend to be lower than the other "big names", in my experience.

Anything sub-$400 is a crap shoot, anyway. At that price, the Agiles are probably the *best* of what I've played.

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
I wouldn't not buy a guitar based on what brand it was. If when I picked it up it played good and had the tone I was after when plugged in, it doesn't matter if it's a Dean, BC Rich, ESP or even a strat, if you like the feel and sound of it, buy it.

i couldn't agree more.

if it feels and sounds right, it doesn't matter what brand it is.

of my guitars, my favorite is a vintage dean, actually. i had never heard of dean when i bought it--i just picked it up due to the unique shape and it played excellently and i knew i had to have it.

i say the reason behind deans hatred is mostly due to grape vine. one person says he had a bad experience, and the word spread out and sooner or later, deans reputation is significantly hurt.

i'm pretty sure you're right, combined with the dimebag thing.

during the 90's, when tropical music owned dean, the quality was extremely inconsistent. and they're still recovering from that bad reputation.

since armadillo bought them, they've improved quality greatly. the quality is currently on par with every other big brand of guitar. but the continued reputation biases people.

And, Mr. Zelinsky himself stepped away and now has his own rapidly growing company. When a company's founder and namesake decides to get uninvolved, that seems to say something iffy about the going-ons in my eyes. Ok enough :blahblah:

actually, zelinsky hasn't been an owner of dean since the late 80's. the current owner, elliott rubinson, is just nice and dedicated enough to the brand that he brought zelinsky back into the fold as a sort of creative/design head.

but zelinsky himself is a total flake. he didn't "decide to get uninvolved"--it was a mutual decision between dean guitars and zelinsky that he needs to GTFO because the company was getting increasingly unhappy with his behavior and attitude.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
actually, zelinsky hasn't been an owner of dean since the late 80's. the current owner, elliott rubinson, is just nice and dedicated enough to the brand that he brought zelinsky back into the fold as a sort of creative/design head.

but zelinsky himself is a total flake. he didn't "decide to get uninvolved"--it was a mutual decision between dean guitars and zelinsky that he needs to GTFO because the company was getting increasingly unhappy with his behavior and attitude.

this is pretty intresting....where did you get the info? link? i'd like to read more about it. do you know where he stood on the whole dime thing?

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
i'm on the dean forum and that shit was all they were talking about when it went down.

soliloquy

Reaction score
this is pretty intresting....where did you get the info? link? i'd like to read more about it. do you know where he stood on the whole dime thing?

zelenski claims that the reason he left dean the second time around is due to what people were doing to HIS guitars. he left dean in the 80's coz he was getting annoyed by the hair metal super strats with floyds on them. he left in the 2000's coz apparently to him the QC was failing and what he wanted wasn't happening.

but then again, zelenski, though a lot of people say is a great guy, he is known for bad mouthing the checz repulbic deans where many of their owners claim to be on par or superior to any other USA guitars...so go figure..

The import stuff isn't bad either. Yeah, there are a fair share of lemons, but has anyone looked at all the absolute GARBAGE that Jackson, Ibanez, Agile, Squire, Epiphone, and others have been putting out in the same price bracket?

The really low end stuff is crap, but so are 95% of guitars in the under $200 range.

i generally agree with you for everything you say around the forum, except the agile part :p

the 200 for agile is actually worth about 400ish in retail for other brands.

so the rondo equal to the 200 dollar jackson/ibanez/schecter/dean would/may be the SX...

but then again, i've seen the SX and Valencia brands in guitar stores go for about 4-500 dollars, so go figure

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
i generally agree with you for everything you say around the forum, except the agile part :p

the 200 for agile is actually worth about 400ish in retail for other brands.

so the rondo equal to the 200 dollar jackson/ibanez/schecter/dean would/may be the SX...

but then again, i've seen the SX and Valencia brands in guitar stores go for about 4-500 dollars, so go figure

Considering the many Agiles with uneven frets, marks on the fretboard from improper filing, defects in the wood, and various finish flaws I'd say, while they are a better value compared to some brands, they do produce their fair share of lemons. Not to mention the dozens of people who have received guitars with improper specs.

What I was saying was that at the price levels where the majority of these guitars are being offered ($500 - $1000) by various makers, there is still a chance of getting a lemon.

Reaction score
well, i see a lot of people have had bad experiences with dean. However i have a razorback, rc7 and avalanche 7 and there is nothing wrong with them. They didnt come with warped necks, sounding like shit, or even "cheap peices" they may be cheap but none of my guitars feel cheap to me(except for the avalanche cuz it wasa $200 steal). Im thankful for what i have and dont cry about a guitar because it isnt good enough.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
well, i see a lot of people have had bad experiences with dean. However i have a razorback, rc7 and avalanche 7 and there is nothing wrong with them. They didnt come with warped necks

thats good to hear, cause i still plan on getting that mustaine v. like i said i had an older one in the past & it was good. wasnt sure about the newer stuff since i read alot of neg. things about them hear. hopefully when i post a ngd for it that only positive things will be said.

the whole dean / zelinski thing is crazy - i need to research this more. does anyone know why dime left washburn & went back to dean?

Reaction score
i think washburn was bought out by dean, idk exactly but im probably wrong.

but ive played some of the mustaine v's in guitarcenter and they're pretty decent.
When there are a lot of negative feedback on a guitar company on a forum i ignore it and decide for myself, half of these people(our ss.org brothers and sisters) either havent played a dean in a while or got really unlucky, or just played a dean that some asshole fucked up in the store. which there are a lot of those....assholes screwing things up in stores.

so many guitars ive picked up missing the 9v battery or all the ibby's ive played missing the trem bar.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
absolutely not. washburn is dean's biggest rival.

Yeah, Washburn is owned by a different company.

How are they each other's biggest rivals? I know they're competition in the industry, but do they have a history together?

damigu

stay tuned
Reaction score
Yeah, Washburn is owned by a different company.

How are they each other's biggest rivals? I know they're competition in the industry, but do they have a history together?

both have a similar market share (dean has a little less). both also make their business by having a some outlandish shapes. and both have dimebag signature models.

neither are really so big that they compete with gibson/fender/ibanez, but they're both are lot bigger than brands like agile and turser.

soliloquy

Reaction score
/\ well, i would say, if anything hamer and dean have a friendly rivalry.
washburn is just a USA company that brings lots of 'mehs' from everyone about their product. much like peavey. though they make amazing guitars, people look over them

if i'm not mistaken, dime left dean because dean ceased to exist, which caused the contract between dime/dean to end. and dime wanted a new guitar, but dean himself wasn't there, and the company was being sold through sears for 80 bucks a guitar, if that....

while dean was non-existant, dime tried out with Jackson but was rejected, BC RICH (via Kerry King) didn't reply, washburn did. so he went to washburn.

come 2000, dean was back up via armadello corp, and Dime was still loyal to dean, so he switched over.

but, i am often wrong, so i wont be surprised if i'm wrong again. MaxofMetal may know better

Status
Not open for further replies.
')