Dear Fellow Canadians... (Hockey Night in Canada theme entry)

caseynbenson

Reaction score
I finally got around to putting together an entry for the Hockey Night in Canada theme contest and I thought I would share it with yas. I request assistance from my fellow 7 stringing canadians; If you dig it, it would be badass if you could log in and rate it well!

Canada's Hockey Anthem Challenge - Hockey - Sports - CBCSports.ca

I really tried my best to not over-do it in the heavy department, (as if there is such a thing! Hah!) I tried to toss in some hooks and such, while keeping it rockin' and up-beat. Hope you dig it.

Because I know that I appreciate specific gear info that people post on here:
I used Cubase sx3 and a some vst plugins like ezdrummer (didn't use dkfh though), and there is the slightest touch of a b4 organ plug-in, but i mixed it to a near inaudible low haha- yikes. I had never used any of this software before EVER- and I was even using different hardware... I used to use Cakewalk Sonar, and also my old soundcard crapped out- so boourns to that. needless to say it was quite the learning experience.

guitar: recorded with sm57 off center, a couple inches off the heritage model celestion in my avatar 2x12.The main rhythm guitar tracks are done with my schecter hellraiser 7 with a JB bridge p-up nearly fully panned right, and a buddy's ibanez s classic with an evo panned left. The lead and harmony are my RG550 (AN/TZ) -I'm not much of a lead player, but it does the job i hope.

well thanks for checking this out. rock on-:hbang:

Casey Benson

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
Nice! Most of the entries i've heard thus far haven't had a melodic hook to them at all, which the old theme had in spades. It has to be "hummable" for it to stick. And most of them are pretty generic horns-and-strings kind of theme songs... nice to hear a guitar-based one!

I've got some ideas for an anthem that i'm going to try and record in the next couple of weeks.

caseynbenson

Reaction score
Thanks for checking it out Darren

ya the obvious midi sounds on a lot of them I have checked out hurt my feelings.

let me know when you get one up and I'll certainly rate you well!

70Seven

Ibanez Foerever!!!
Reaction score
Awesome job, well done. Its got memorable parts I could see a bunch of friends signing along to it like the current hockey night in Canada anthem song.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
I've had the backing riff and main melody rattling around in my brain for a few weeks now. I wrote out some ideas last weekend, and the arrangement, tones and recording came together today.

Red Line, Blue Line - Canada's Hockey Anthem Challenge - Hockey - Sports - CBCSports.ca

Everything was recorded with the neck pickup of my Ibanez 442R, plugged into my Line6 TonePort DI running into GarageBand via GearBox.

The backing riff is an AC-30 patch with a Tube Screamer and a ping-pong delay. The chord washes are a Blackface Deluxe with some reverb and chorus. The main lead line is a Mark I (i think?) with some slight effects on it.

Spread the word, register, vote, listen, spread the word... ;)