Death/Chuck Schuldiner Appreciation Thread

• Thread starter Chuck
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

What is your favorite Death album?

• Total voters

Chuck

Reaction score
Every one will have a different opinion of this so this is mine...

Chuck wrote riffs that weren't overly complex, overly brutal and hyper fast like what Cannibal corpse, Morbid Angel and Monstrosity were playing at the same time and he didn't write solos that were so complex and chaotic like what Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel) was playing. :cool:

Chuck wrote music that was easy to understand and enjoy without forcing his music down the listeners throat or having the listener try and decipher what he and the band were playing to actually enjoy it. :cool:

Yeah I'd say he had a perfect balance between technical ability and good songwriting.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

theleem

Reaction score
I feel like there was a thread about Death/Chuck a while ago, but it's been too damn long. I love all kinds of metal, and I've listened to it for years, but I've found very few bands that make just want to pick up my guitar like Death has. Something about Chuck's style is very accessible in my mind... Plus all their albums kick ass :hbang:

Rosal76

Reaction score
Rosal76 - disagree about the soloing, there's a fair amount of nuts lead on Sound of Perseverance, very individual, he may not have been as advanced as Trey technically, but I think the approach is similar in some regards.

Yes, I agree with you on that. Some of Chuck's solos on "Sounds" had their craziness. No doubt about that. :agreed:

What I meant was, the average death metal listener could probably "understand and enjoy" the craziest Chuck Schuidiner solo, than "understand and enjoy" the craziest solo played by Trey Azagthoth. :cool:

Chuck

Reaction score
Not to insult Troy Azagthoth, but I find Chuck's solo's so much more enjoyable. Wheras Trey's are almost too technical to enjoy and employ too many gimmicks and such.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
Yes, I agree with you on that. Some of Chuck's solos on "Sounds" had their craziness. No doubt about that. :agreed:

What I meant was, the average death metal listener could probably "understand and enjoy" the craziest Chuck Schuidiner solo, than "understand and enjoy" the craziest solo played by Trey Azagthoth. :cool:

Oh yah gotcha. I'm glad we've had em both :)

yingmin

Parker über alles
Reaction score
As much as I like Morbid Angel, Trey can be pretty frustrating. Sometimes it seems like he writes a few riffs, then asks himself "alright, what can I do to make this music more difficult to enjoy?".

VBCheeseGrater

not quite a shredder
Reaction score
I started listening to Death long after he passed, i never liked the vocal style until i got into Opeth. Once i started listening to Death, i enjoyed it. Lots of cool leads and melodies going on. Its cool to hear the valvestates used on an album too - that was my first real amp. The drumming in Sound of Perseverance always bugged me - it sounds off time alot of the time!

canuck brian

Bowes Guitars
Contributor
Reaction score
Is nobody going to the death to all tour? It's two weeks away from hitting Toronto and I'm bouncing off the walls waiting.

fps

Kit
Reaction score
I started listening to Death long after he passed, i never liked the vocal style until i got into Opeth. Once i started listening to Death, i enjoyed it. Lots of cool leads and melodies going on. Its cool to hear the valvestates used on an album too - that was my first real amp. The drumming in Sound of Perseverance always bugged me - it sounds off time alot of the time!

No metronome on Sound Of Perseverance I think, Richard Christie is all over it tempo wise, which adds to the vibe of the album no end! It's all performance, it's all alive. And the Valvestates sound damn good to me, it's been fun putting Chuck Schuldiner patches on my POD HD, complete with harmonizer when appropriate :)

theleem

Reaction score
As much as I like Morbid Angel, Trey can be pretty frustrating. Sometimes it seems like he writes a few riffs, then asks himself "alright, what can I do to make this music more difficult to enjoy?".

Maybe it's just because I never got into any of their stuff after their first 3 albums, which I love, but I never really got this feeling at all. I'd have to say he's up there with Chuck on my list of favorite DM guitarists.

Vhyle

Jackson Shill
Reaction score
Not to mention, Chuck's vibrato was glorious. He had such a great vibrato; very soulful, tons of feel, in my opinion. "Voice of the Soul", anyone?

Rizzo

Reaction score
Not to mention, Chuck's vibrato was glorious. He had such a great vibrato; very soulful, tons of feel, in my opinion. "Voice of the Soul", anyone?
For sure! VOTS is a masterpiece.

Shask

Reaction score
Death was always a huge influence to me. I learned much of it years ago. I actually had to special order the CD's in high school because you couldnt find them anywhere :)

My favorite was always Spiritual Healing. I cant really say why except for the fact it was the first one I ever had/heard. I had the cassette I wore out :lol:

Scream Bloody Gore was always my least favorite, but I think it was just because it was hard to hear.

I find it funny that so many people here site TSOP as their favorite, but I guess that is the sign of the ages on here. TSOP came out when I was in college, and I just barely missed going to that tour :rant:

crg123

SS.orgLocalArchitect
Reaction score
Chuck got me into death metal and somewhat progressive metal. Before Him all I had heard for death metal was most of the late 90's, early 2000's stuff. He opened up a new world of music to me. Quite the inspiration to my playing, it's a shame he had to go so young.

dcoughlin1

Reaction score
tumblr_mm3t332FnA1qdjbuwo1_400.jpg

Latest posts

')