Death Magnetic Tone

• Thread starter ozzman619
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Philligan

The White-Knuckler
Contributor
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken there was a video of Kirk failing pretty hard when trying to do some rhythm parts.

:lol:

I'm not huge into Metallica but I actually thought Death Magnetic was one of their better sounding albums. I remember an interview with James saying it was about getting back to his roots, and he started using his old V again. Not sure if that means old amps or not, but a IIC+ is definitely a good start. I saw some jam videos that definitely had Krankensteins in the background. And of course TriAxis/VH4.

EDIT: Mesa Mark V. IIC+ and IV lead channels in one amp :flex: (along with many other amazing Boogie channels haha)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I thought cleans were with a mesa boogie roadster?:scratch:

Besides St. Anger and the first 2 albums, cleans were always from the Roland Jazz Chorus. The first 2 albums were most likely the Marshalls with the volume rolled back and St. Anger was the clean channel of several tube amps and his Roland.

EDIT: Now that I remember, I think Puppets also was devoid of the JC-120.

blackrobedone

Reaction score
I kid you not - Krank Krankenstein +. I don't know if they used it or not (I think James said he prefered the original Krankenstein), but I was able to get a very similar tone to Death Magnetic with that amp. Turn the presence down to 0.5-1 if you try it out though.

K3V1N SHR3DZ

Reaction score
whatever you end up using, be sure to run it all through a brickwall limiter and compress the dogshit out of everything. When the cymbals sound like hiss and the kicks suck the volume out of everything else, go just a little further to get that Death Magnetic tone.......:hbang:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Metallica / Death Magnetic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR4 0.00 dB -5.39 dB 7:08 01-That Was Just Your Life
DR4 0.00 dB -5.18 dB 7:52 02-The End Of The Line
DR3 0.00 dB -4.17 dB 6:25 03-Broken, Beat & Scarred
DR2 0.00 dB -3.81 dB 7:56 04-The Day That Never Comes
DR3 0.00 dB -3.99 dB 7:57 05-All Nightmare Long
DR3 0.00 dB -3.92 dB 6:39 06-Cyanide
DR4 0.00 dB -6.25 dB 7:46 07-The Unforgiven III
DR3 0.00 dB -3.82 dB 8:00 08-The Judas Kiss
DR4 0.00 dB -5.02 dB 9:57 09-Suicide & Redemption
DR3 0.00 dB -3.59 dB 5:01 10-My Apocalypse
DR4 -2.80 dB -8.59 dB 5:46 11-Remember Tomorrow

Number of tracks: 11
Maximum peak difference (0.00 dB - -2.80 dB): 2.80 dB

Official DR value (Song Mode): DR3
================================================================================

Djdnxgdj3983jrjd8udb3bcns

Reaction score
Aside from the HORRENDOUS production on that album, I really like it. I have to listen to it through shitty earphones or the sound of ass gets on my nerves

And it's a bit rich of Lars to be laughing at Kirk...

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
^ Lmfao why are people like that.. It's a damn high gain tube amp ffs it can sound just as heavy as anything else.

Oh, I know it can sound high-gain, that's not the problem at all. It's just I hate how the Krank's are voiced. The Krankenstein and Revolution heads have enough gain for me. And I'm not judging solely on this video. I had an experience with the Rev+ head. Not my thing at all.

But I've heard the tones sound a lot better on the Guitar Hero III version. Maybe I'll check that out later on.

M3CHK1LLA

angel sword guardian
Reaction score
That's St. Anger. :lol:
ahh, st. anger...that album makes me...well :mad: when i hear it. i remember all the hype and getting excited - then the big let down when i heard it.

im glad your not asking for the tone to that. but if you are looking to duplicate the drum set-up, thats simple. it consists of three 55 gallon drums and a couple trash can lids from home depot.

incinerated_guitar

Reaction score
Besides St. Anger and the first 2 albums, cleans were always from the Roland Jazz Chorus. The first 2 albums were most likely the Marshalls with the volume rolled back and St. Anger was the clean channel of several tube amps and his Roland.

EDIT: Now that I remember, I think Puppets also was devoid of the JC-120.

Well I know theyve used the JC-120 for cleans on almost every album, excluding those youve mentioned, but ive seen them play the day that never comes with a roadster combo and the cleans were identical to the tone on the album. In fact, ive even seen them using roadster combo amps miced for one of their gigs. Its on an old VHS I have of them, cant remember which show, but it was the first time they played fuel live, before they even named the song.

Fenriswolf

Reaction score
That was on Cunning Stunt, and if I remember right those were just prop amps because of the whole stage going to shit thing, but I might be wrong.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Got any video of the DTNC performance?

And yeah, they all were miced up. If I recall, Kirk was also using a Roadster or Dual Recto combo and Jason was using an SWR combo. Not sure why, but it was after that staged stage collapse, so I think it was just to play it off. Was probably just a backup amp.

EDIT: Born beat me. :lol:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
obama_hell_naw-425x271.jpg

Latest posts

')