Death metal amps

• Thread starter defchime
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
^ this.

what did you do to your JSX dude? DTX stands for Drakkar Tyrannis X then :lol:

I'm having the amp adjusted for 6550 tubes, I modded the amp to give it a little more articulation and clarity, the main emphasis on the mod was to make the amp as thick and ballsy as possible. Still sounds like a JSX, only bigger and more suited to hang with other amps

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
No-one has said anything about it; the V2.

Try one if you can. Im using a VMAX, and honestly, incredible sound. Not everyones cup of tea, but nothing is. :)

hairychris

Hairy Old Bloke
Reaction score
Used Marshall 8100... ;)

The 5150/6505 variants are savage sounding amps straight out of the box, but I've heard grind done with one of those Carvin Vai signature amps and that was lairy enough.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Drakkar, just checked out those vids man, tone is fucking killer!

I see what you mean now about how it accomodates death metal nicely.

damnit I want a JSX now!

groph

Reaction score
No-one has said anything about it; the V2.

Try one if you can. Im using a VMAX, and honestly, incredible sound. Not everyones cup of tea, but nothing is. :)

I reccommended a V2 in the OP's old thread, it should be in his list of amps he's wanting to try out. The MSRP of V2's are a bit steep but online they're around $1300. Which is still steep for a solid state (hybrid) amp but one needs to keep in mind that just because an amp has tubes it's not automatically the holy grail of tone. A V2 can hang with a 6505 or any other staple metal amp like a Rectifier with no problem at all, volumewise and tonewise.

I'm guessing the VMAX is the V2's daddy.

And hell, even the cheaper Randall G3 heads are absolutely killer. They're tight as fuck, lots of gain, usable EQ controls, along with a contour knob to fine tune your midrange. I also highly reccommend these, I want one myself one of these days simply because they're so no-frills and brutal.

jjjsssxxx

Reaction score
The funny part about "your tone" is this:

once you get your tone, and you know what you sound like - you get that tone on any amp you play. The amp simply adds it's own flavour.

I've played my jsx and a dual rec halfie - i still sound like me regardless.
:agreed:

As for the JSX, it is totally capable of deathgrindfaceripping. So is the 5150.
Here's some rough demos with a JSX on one side and a 5150 through a Vader on the other:
GORGATRON

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
I reccommended a V2 in the OP's old thread, it should be in his list of amps he's wanting to try out. The MSRP of V2's are a bit steep but online they're around $1300. Which is still steep for a solid state (hybrid) amp but one needs to keep in mind that just because an amp has tubes it's not automatically the holy grail of tone. A V2 can hang with a 6505 or any other staple metal amp like a Rectifier with no problem at all, volumewise and tonewise.

I'm guessing the VMAX is the V2's daddy.

And hell, even the cheaper Randall G3 heads are absolutely killer. They're tight as fuck, lots of gain, usable EQ controls, along with a contour knob to fine tune your midrange. I also highly reccommend these, I want one myself one of these days simply because they're so no-frills and brutal.

Yeah, the VMAX is the flagship :)

They're incredible amps, surprisingly warm for a SS amp, and absolutely killer tone. The EQ means it goes everywhere from looser, rawer tone to uber-tight, compressed gain. Massive stuff though :yesway:

jjjsssxxx

Reaction score
And speaking of Randalls, check out a T2. Very simple no-frills amp. Saw Sammy from Goatwhore using one and it was fuckin killer. Plus the amp's name can remind you of the greatest movie ever.

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Like veil of maya? Like born of osiris? get a V2!

PS: they use stupid low gain (well, VoM does)

Daemoniac

Rivethead Magnate.
Contributor
Reaction score
And speaking of Randalls, check out a T2. Very simple no-frills amp. Saw Sammy from Goatwhore using one and it was fuckin killer. Plus the amp's name can remind you of the greatest movie ever.

+1. A very different beast to the V2 though, one is a massively featured amp with a 6 band EQ and so on, and the T2 is a no-frills, clean cut amp, but without the features.

EDIT: I think technically the T2 does have a more aggressive sound, though the V2 really is a truly epic head :evil:

Reaction score
id say act like ur gona buy some thing seem really into it and try out the mesa dual road king and the triple rect then if u dont like them smash the guy in the teeth and take them any ways then sell them on ebay and buy what ever u want the road king is sick by the way i play a custom 2009 white alligator mesa road king 2 threw a hughes and kettner full stack and this thing is insane monster lows screaming highs super well balanched

Meldville

THE DOCTOR OF DOOM
Reaction score
BUMP-1-Cover-DIGITAL-EDITIO.gif

:lol:

Reaction score
What??? i have a budget of $1300, not $130,000...if i had $130,000 id probly kill someone cuz thats way too much money for a 16 year old unemployed uneducated metalhead stoner to have...lol

Is your retardation mild or full blown? When I was fourteen I made $800 for one months work. Now I'm saving up for an Axe-FX, and will probably be able to nab it by the end of summer. So stop fucking whining, and use proper grammar. Thanks!

Drakkar, just checked out those vids man, tone is fucking killer!

I see what you mean now about how it accomodates death metal nicely.

damnit I want a JSX now!

Drakkar's JSX is modded to hell and back though :lol:

Reaction score
id say act like ur gona buy some thing seem really into it and try out the mesa dual road king and the triple rect then if u dont like them smash the guy in the teeth and take them any ways then sell them on ebay and buy what ever u want the road king is sick by the way i play a custom 2009 white alligator mesa road king 2 threw a hughes and kettner full stack and this thing is insane monster lows screaming highs super well balanched

Hello there!:wavey: I'm English and I hear you're not fond of me, but I think I can change your mind. I'll keep it simple because I'm sure you'd rather do other things like chase roadkill on a freeway.

Instead of saying id...say I'd. After all, the "id" is, in Freudian theory, the division of the psyche that is totally unconscious and serves as the source of instinctual impulses and demands for immediate satisfaction of primitive needs.:idea:

Along the same lines...you're. This means you are.:idea:

Even though your A.D.D. keeps you from typing things fully, you should understand that it only takes a second to throw in little letters..like...oh...say..gonna for instance. Yes gona is fun, but it only takes a second to throw in that second "n". Same with you. After all, U is just a letter, not a word.:idea:

Spell check will help as well if you aren't sure how to spell tricky words like recto, through, and balanced.:idea:

Apostrophe..that's the ' you put in words. Words like I'd, you're, and don't. Try it sometime.:idea:

Another thing to try is periods. Periods indicate the end of a sentence and the word that follows the period gets capitalized. See how I did that? You should begin the first word of a sentence with a capital letter. Names should have capitals as well. It's a little hard to get at first, but you'll get it right with a little practice.:idea:

Commas help provide pauses to make things easier to read.:idea:

Now if we put it all together with a little bit of thought it would go something like this:

I'd say act like you're gonna buy something, seem really into it, and try out the Mesa Road King and the Triple Recto. Then if you don't like them, smash the guy in the teeth and take them anyway. Sell them on Ebay and buy what ever you want. The Road King is sick by the way. I play a custom 2009 white alligator Mesa Road King 2 through a Hughes and Kettner full stack and this thing is insane. It has monster lows, screaming highs, and is super well balanced.

See how nice that looks and how easy it is to read? Now you try...and remember..KNOWLEDGE IS POWER!!
the_more_you_know2.jpg

')