Death metal amps

• Thread starter defchime
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

groph

Reaction score
i actually dont mind some deathcore, but the breakdowns got really really old really really fast...but death metal has always had me in a choke hold...

the v3 is really fuckin cheap right now only $850...if they still have the sale on by the end of the month i'll probly be getting it

as for the 6505 the way you described it it seems like it is pretty much exactly what im lookin for, so if the carvin is not at $850 at the end of april then i'll probly save for a little while longer and get a 6505+

can someone explain to me the difference of the 6505 and the + version
i know the plus has better cleans, but is the gain channels any different sounding?

I hear you, I'll always be a death metal guy at heart too. The deathcoar breakdowns can get repetitive for sure. I hate Suicide Silence with a passion, hahaha. But believe me man, Cryptopsy (craptopsy) came here and holy crap, did Chris's tone ever kill. Had a 5150 on top of a Vader. I described this awesomeness in the other thread you made. The 5150 slaughtered, flat out slaughtered the Triple Rectifier the other guy was using. Raw, pissed off sounding, clear, just generally mean. If you get a 5150/5150II or a 6505/6505+ the differences in tone are pretty minimal, well they may be noticeable to the 5150 aficionados out there, but any of those amps are very very capable of tearing your face off. They don't sound all that bad at low volumes either.

I haven't heard a good V3 clip yet, they seem to be looser and the tone sounds sort of "messy" but they definitely seem like one of those tweaker amps with a bajillion knobs and switches, where the 5150/6505 you can dial in with your ass and summon the Viking lords.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

defchime

Reaction score
I hear you, I'll always be a death metal guy at heart too. The deathcoar breakdowns can get repetitive for sure. I hate Suicide Silence with a passion, hahaha. But believe me man, Cryptopsy (craptopsy) came here and holy crap, did Chris's tone ever kill. Had a 5150 on top of a Vader. I described this awesomeness in the other thread you made. The 5150 slaughtered, flat out slaughtered the Triple Rectifier the other guy was using. Raw, pissed off sounding, clear, just generally mean. If you get a 5150/5150II or a 6505/6505+ the differences in tone are pretty minimal, well they may be noticeable to the 5150 aficionados out there, but any of those amps are very very capable of tearing your face off. They don't sound all that bad at low volumes either.

I haven't heard a good V3 clip yet, they seem to be looser and the tone sounds sort of "messy" but they definitely seem like one of those tweaker amps with a bajillion knobs and switches, where the 5150/6505 you can dial in with your ass and summon the Viking lords.

yea, im one of those people that'll sit around and play with knobs till i squeeze out something good.:lol::nono:

so yea i think the v3 would be a pretty good amp for me.

BUT if i end up getting it and not liking it im definitily getting a 6505+

breakdowns are okay if there well placed, but none of these deathcore bands know how to incorporate them into songs in a musical fashion....i dont know if anyone likes the band wormed but they have respectable breakdowns and kickass sounding snare (its JAZZY)...beware wormed is one of those ouuwi ouuwi ouuwi bands (not to be confused with bree bree bree, or anything of that fashion)

grants

Reaction score
I have a JSX for sale... with a pedal thrown in front it would probably get the job done. ( and for cheaper than $1300 ) PM if interested. If not, best of luck brahz!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
JSX isn't really suitable for death metal though. personally I don't like the tone on The Ills of Modern Man.

Fireball would do you nicely for death metal, as would a 6505+, it's up to you to try them and see what suits you best.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
JSX isn't really suitable for death metal though. personally I don't like the tone on The Ills of Modern Man.

Fireball would do you nicely for death metal, as would a 6505+, it's up to you to try them and see what suits you best.

I dunno man, I've heard a lot of sound clips just all over the internet of guys using JSX amps boosted with an OD and they get sweet thrash/death metal tones:shrug:
Sure, a 6505 would be the preferred go to amp for death metal tones from Peavey's range, but it seems people that know how to tweak the JSX amps can get them to do extreme metal.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
yeah I've heard JSX boosted for thrash, that works, but IMO JSX tone is to 'clean' for death metal. if I was in a death metal band, ENGL would be the first brand I would go to.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, I get what you mean.
I guess for me, I'm such a lead orientated player, that 'cleaner' distortion of the JSX would me very suitable for me.
It's hard to say exactly what a death metal tone is, it's subjective to an extent.
I think, at least today anyway, a thrash metal tone can work as a death metal tone and vice versa.
I guess it depends on the exact sub genre too.
For technical death or tech thrash, you'd definitely want an amp with lots of clarity and something that is going to cater to all the lead guitar stuff, whereas if you play a 'less refined' style so to speak, you'd want a dirtier tone.
Having only used Peavey before but rarely ever heard an ENGL in the flesh, I can't speak for them too well.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
well yeah if we're talking lead work then definitely the JSX. ENGLs have a much grittier, much more 'br00taL' sound to them, which is perfect for death metal IMO. if I was in a tech death metal band though, as you say you need all the clarity you can get, so I'd go JSX. but for standard, chunky death metal I'd defo choose an ENGL.

Nick

Reaction score
i hate 6505's cuz there being used by a bunch of deathcore bands and they all have the same damn tone, so i have no idea if the 6505 can get ma tones

the 5150 (6505) is probably one of the most legendery metal amps ever. A lot of bands have achieved seriously brutal tones from it and lastly dont discount something because bands you dont like use it. I dont like evergrey but i fucking love caparisons so i own one.

Reaction score
Depends on what you're after..I'm in a death/black metal band and I use a JSX and it sounds killer. True it's not for everyone but that's why I like it, it's tone is unique

Nick

Reaction score
i thouroughly recommend a VHT six X. a bit more than you planned to pay but will give you 10000000 times more amp than say an engl fireball (even the new version).

i should have new tracks up from my band so you can hear what one sounds like within the next month if you dont buy before then.

ross25

Ross Paridian
Reaction score
Hey man,i play with an engl fireball and and i love the sound so much!

i used to have a 6505+ but the fireball wipes the floor with the peavey

the fire ball is really tight, djenty and powerfull, perfect for thesound your looking for!

my bands recordings use a fire ball

you can check out the tone here

www.myspace.com/paridian

theres also a vid there aswell of meplaying the fireball ;)

:hbang:

Reaction score
Get a 6505+ and add another EQ to it. That's what I did and I don't sound like deathcore bs.

Sepultorture

Murder Machine
Reaction score
Hey man,i play with an engl fireball and and i love the sound so much!

i used to have a 6505+ but the fireball wipes the floor with the peavey

the fire ball is really tight, djenty and powerfull, perfect for thesound your looking for!

my bands recordings use a fire ball

you can check out the tone here

www.myspace.com/paridian

theres also a vid there aswell of meplaying the fireball ;)

:hbang:

djent, no djent, this man wants CHUG, no more djent, DOWN WITH DJENT

Anton

Death Squad
Reaction score
VHT PITBULL UL
I play detahgrind\deathcore and this amp is the most brutal unforgiving amp that I have ever played.
I own one and probably will never replace it. :scream:

ToTheCore92

Pwnage :]
Reaction score
IMHO in the best amp i can possibly recommend for that kind of stuff would be the 6505. you can add another eq to it and make it sound alot better. the 6505s can sound however you want them to, you just have to tweak it and add a few things.. other than clean, its hopeless there imo. i mean it can be decent, but ehh. but, im not a clean player so its not a big deal :hbang:I would take a framus cobra over a 6505 though. framus cobras are straight up brutal. the framus cobra has that high high savage gain that the 6505 has.. well maybe not quite as much, but plenty. you dont use all the gain on the peavey anyways. the framus also has really nice sparkly cleans(if you care about that). and the looks are like sex :D its a prettyful head :p

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I have a Cobra and a 6505+ in my living right now. the 6505+ has ridiculous amounts of gain, but still sounds better with a boost. the Cobra doesn't have as much gain as you'd think, but the cleans are probably the best cleans I've ever heard.

defchime

Reaction score
april 29th is my birthday so i'll probly get some more money and i'll order a v3 if its still $850....but if its any higher than that im probly goinna end up gettin a 6505+ or a fireball

most likely a 6505+ over the fireball cuz theres one at a guitarcenter about 45 minutes away and i'll try that shit out and buy it if its sounds are what i needs

Reaction score
of course since you mentioned the word "rape" then Drakkar shows up :lol:

Sami....

duntoldrape.jpg

')