Death metal mixing criticism/advice - Carcass Cover

erebusoz

Reaction score
My band has recorded a cover of Genital Grinder by Carcass as a simple demo, and I would appreciate any recording/mixing/general criticism or advice.

The guitars are using awesometime fredman catharsis impulses on 2 tracks of LeGion and 2 of 8505. We used 2 75-25 blended tracks and 2 hard left and right for quadtracking.

Bass is using amplitube (what options are there for bass tones, I figure this can be improved) and the track has real drums. Drum micing was a single Samson condenser, sm57 on snare and on the kick.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15509583/01 Genital Grinder.mp3

Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Inazone

Reaction score
The guitars sound good, and pretty accurate to the Carcass tone. The cymbals are a bit high in the mix compared to the rest of the drums. The main thing I noticed is that the mix in general sounds a bit "distant" and losing some of the aggressive vibe. I've heard professional albums that have the same thing going on, so it's not unusual, but you might be able to address it fairly easily.

It's been a long time since I did this, but when I had that problem with my own guitar recordings (double-miked cab, nothing direct) I used the Line 6 GearBox "EQ + Boost" pedal setting to beef up the guitars. Problem solved. Not that you need that specific plug-in, but overall, an EQ tweak to the guitars might make them sound more up-front. The drums have a bit of the same going on, but it sounds natural.

h8leech

Valkyrie Treaty
Reaction score
i guess its the ride(im no good with drums) thats a lil loud on the left side. im all for old school death metal covers, wouldnt happen to know any pyrexia or deeds of flesh? MmMmM love the guitar tone, i should have been born in the 70s to really enjoy old school metal, thanks bro

')