Deathcore bands you DO like...

Status
Not open for further replies.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Whats the difference between deathcore and metalcore btw?

(im a noob when it comes to core anything)

Metalcore uses more of a ripped-off gothenberg sound, and tends to include alot more melodies. Deathcore is more of a ripped-off death metal sound, filled with minor thirds, chromatics, and tritones. Fill all of those gaps with breakdowns, and you have your two genres. Deathcore includes alot of metalcore elements, whereas metalcore was more of a predecessor, and didn't have as much blastbeating and low growls. They're still included with some metalcore bands, though.

Examples;

Unearth - Metalcore. Melodies, gothenberging, and it's generally alot more melodic/harmonic than alot of deathcore. Vocals are more whiney and high pitched, and there's alot of useless talking every once and a while.

Whitechapel - Deathcore. Minor Thirds, Chromatics, tritones (especially in slowed down breakdowns), and tends to be alot sluggier then metalcore. Vocals are "brutal" and tend to be very guteral, alternating between highs, lows, really lows, yew yew yews, and bree bree brees.

Obviously alot of bands break barriers, like After the Burial. I would consider After the Burial to be a lot more metalcore than they are deathcore, but this isn't a genre war. More of a general description.

I'm not trying to hate on these bands, FYI.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score
Guttural. Guttural. I have to remember this. Guttural.

I'm in a death metal band, you'd think I'd know this word by now.

Reaction score
ATB. No thanks.

I don't like their mix of melodic death metal with Meshuggah-esque breakdowns. IMO, it's a terrible mix.

If we're lumping The Red Chord into the deathcore genre, then I like them. I'm not a consistent listener, though and I really only like their newest and Revolving Door (whatever the full title is).

right_to_rage

Avant Temporal
Reaction score
After the Burial
BOO
Veil of Maya
Car Bomb
New Tony Danza Song (that band is fucking sick i don't know where i've been)

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
New Tony Danza Song (that band is fucking sick i don't know where i've been)

Deathcore? Really?

The word you're looking for is Mathcore :yesway:

I'm with you though, I don't know how I've only just got into them, I've known about them all this time and they even offered my band a record deal once but I never used to like them before...

ServerOfAnubis

Reaction score
Whitechapel
All Shall Perish
Despised Icon
The Contortionist(I don't really consider them like deathcore, although they have breakdowns in their music)

For me I don't consider Born Of Osiris, VOM, After The Burial like deathcore. Well, if the people still say that those bands are deathcore, it's just so fucking good anyway!

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
The Contortionist are definitely Deathcore dude.

The thing about BOO, VOM and ATB is they're more Progressive than Deathcore, but VOM have so many breakdowns I think they're closer to Metalcore.

BOO and ATB are more Progressive these days, but BOO's first album was pretty Deathcore-centric.

Harry

Doom man of Doom.
Contributor
Reaction score
When I first heard Born of Osiris, I just assumed it was just modern death metal:lol: The difference between it and most modern more melodic-ish death metal seemed so small I was barely able to tell upon first listen. It only became apparent after detailed listening it wasn't quite death metal.

Deathcore or not, I really fucking like that band.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
I think Veil of Maya is absolutely sick.

See I thought that I thought they were absolutely sick too... then I bought the album and I realised it was a 30 minute breakdown.

I still enjoy it somewhat, but I'm sure their new album will be better.

When I first heard Born of Osiris, I just assumed it was just modern death metal:lol: The difference between it and most modern more melodic-ish death metal seemed so small I was barely able to tell upon first listen. It only became apparent after detailed listening it wasn't quite death metal.

Deathcore or not, I really fucking like that band.

Dude, have you seen them live? They are so tight it's a joke.

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
See I thought that I thought they were absolutely sick too... then I bought the album and I realised it was a 30 minute breakdown.

Maybe I should get the whole record, then. I've heard maybe 5 off of the most recent release.

SerratedSkies

Reaction score

I never really considered this until I read this post. The thing about Veil of Maya, is that, beyond their breakdowns, lies a shit load of creative riffing. I'm one to hate on this trendy machine-gun era of breakdowns, but honestly, I'm yet to hear a band in this genre that I like more than Veil of Maya. Maybe it's because when I first heard them, they were everything I wanted Born of Osiris to be.

+1 for hoping the new album will be good.

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Yeah their guitarist is sick no doubt, he pulls off some amazing shit, I'd just like it if there were less breakdowns. Not a lot less, just less.

ma7erick

Left Handed Shecter
Reaction score
Nobody seems to remember one of the best out there... THE RED CHORD

Adam Of Angels

The GAS Man
Reaction score
I never really considered this until I read this post. The thing about Veil of Maya, is that, beyond their breakdowns, lies a shit load of creative riffing. I'm one to hate on this trendy machine-gun era of breakdowns, but honestly, I'm yet to hear a band in this genre that I like more than Veil of Maya. Maybe it's because when I first heard them, they were everything I wanted Born of Osiris to be.

+1 for hoping the new album will be good.

Yeah their guitarist is sick no doubt, he pulls off some amazing shit, I'd just like it if there were less breakdowns. Not a lot less, just less.

This is how I feel - their breakdowns are really groovy so I like them, but when they start churning out those really tasty Melo-Death riffs, that's when I get excited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
')