Debating on selling cab

• Thread starter jco5055
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a normal halfstack in an apartment, but I'm going to get a Two Notes Torpedo Captor X for a few reasons:

1) So I can crank my amp loud enough without getting evicted (or even use the headphone jack)
2) So I can record my amp DI without needing a Mic.

With that said, I'm debating if I want to sell my cab or not. It's a standard 4x12, with I believe Greenbacks (don't quote me though), and I figure since for me personally hearing the amp through either headphones or just my computer is good enough for me, as well as I can play out with just the Head and the Torpedo also (and using the cab sims for both), is there any real reason to keep my cab? Not to mention it's heavy as hell and takes up a ton of space, as someone without a car I'm not looking forward to transporting that either.

Even with the not having car/transport/space issues I've debated going full AxeFX/modeling, but I can decide on that down the line.

Thanks!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jco5055

Reaction score
Sounds to me like you're already wanting to sell it and just need some strangers to agree with you.

Sell it. It's not hard to find a 412.

well I am leaning towards doing that, I guess I just wanted to find out via here if like I was making a big mistake doing so (or if I'm somehow mistaken that I don't need a cab).

Bearitone

Reaction score
I’m in the opposite boat. 4x12 cabs don’t actually take up much floor space and even at bedroom volume they sound way better than a 1x12 or 2x12

unless your hurting financially or you’re REALLY short on space you might just want to keep it

Last edited:

Chebax

Reaction score
I’m in the opposite boat. 4x12 cabs don’t actually take up much floor space and even at bedroom volume they sound way better than a 1x12 or 2x12

unless your hurting financially or you’re REALLY short on space you might just want to keep it
I’m with you.
I have both a 4x12 and a Suhr Reactive load, and I’m loving the flexibility of being able to change between both configurations.
The load box + IRs is great for lower volume, or headphones, but being able to plug the 4x12 and crank it up is liberating. The feel in the room using a load box will never be the same as the 4x12.

Reaction score
I have 2x 112 home made cabs at home and when I go to rehearsals I use 2x 412 (rehearsal studios and such). it's such a huge sound that it is impossible not to love. Nevertheless, my 2x 112s are more than enough for my home setup, and I rarely use them... Are you giging and in need for stage volume? Yes = keep it, No = sell it...?

Wrecklyss

Custom Speaker Cabinet Builder
Reaction score
A well made 1x12 is a good option. Smaller, lighter, theoretical 6dB reduction (many other contributing factors to that, but in a perfectly proportional cab using the same driver with the same speaker cable and a zero % factory tolerance, that would be the observed result), still able to play with a full band and fill a venue on the large end of medium (if you needed to be any louder, most sound guys would rather mic a small cab anyway).

A high powered head would still need a load box for apartment playing (Two Notes et al), so just be realistic about what you need and plan around that.

Adieu

Reaction score
A well made 1x12 is a good option. Smaller, lighter, theoretical 6dB reduction (many other contributing factors to that, but in a perfectly proportional cab using the same driver with the same speaker cable and a zero % factory tolerance, that would be the observed result), still able to play with a full band and fill a venue on the large end of medium (if you needed to be any louder, most sound guys would rather mic a small cab anyway).

A high powered head would still need a load box for apartment playing (Two Notes et al), so just be realistic about what you need and plan around that.

Not necessarily

5150-types resond surprisingly well to volume boxes through the loop, for example

laxu

Reaction score
Don't sell it until you have tried the Torpedo Captor solution.

Going through cab impulse responses vs a real guitar cab are two distinctly different experiences.

IRs are equivalent to: Guitar -> Amp -> Cab -> Mic X at position Y -> Studio monitors/headphones -> your ears.
Real cab is: Guitar -> Amp -> Cab -> your ears at position A in relation to the cab.

The mic influences the sound so heavily that it's just a different thing. I have done the all digital Axe-Fx thing with FRFR and did that for about 10 years. It works fine, it sounds good, but it is different. I went back to guitar amps and cabs for their simplicity.

Now I don't care for 4x12s personally. Too heavy, slightly louder than smaller cabs, directional, low end always needs management so it is not boomy or if using at home, bothering neighbours. My "big cab sound" solution is a closed back 4x10. I can lift mine with one hand, there is no boomy low end, lower sensitivity speakers so it's no louder than a 1x12 with a 100 dB sensitivity speaker.

Latest posts

')