Decent 7 string guitars that aren't too expensive?

• Thread starter elkoki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

elkoki

Reaction score
Looking to spend around $500 or so on a new guitar. I don't mind getting either a new or used guitar. I want a thick sounding guitar , I like the feel and sound of heavy weighted guitars. So preferably something that isn't too light What's good in this price range? I was thinking maybe a pre owned Schecter C-7? any ideas?

i'll mostly use it in BEADGBE. I had a Schecter BlackJack A-7 that I was forced to sell off to a local tech to make things right after he damaged my fret board. That guitar was quite comfortable and lightweight, but I never loved the way it sounded even after tons of pickup changes. Just sounded too thin and harsh.

Any suggestions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Zhysick

Reaction score
A mahogany Schecter would be a good choice for you I think like a C7 as you say. The Ibanez RG7421 has good reviews for it's price and with a pup swap might be a very good option as well new or used. If you can find an Apex2 then even better probably. I will start looking for mahogany bodied guitars but I think the Schecter will probably be the best option for you as it will be the thickest sounding: Ibanez uses a lighter specie of mahogany I believe...

A-Branger

Reaction score
being so limited by your budget and availability of 7 strings specially in that price point. I would recomend, to jump into every store website that you can buy from, check the filter boxes of 7 strings, and the "show lower price to higher" see your options on your price range. If you are sticking to max 500$ chances are you only have 10 options to choose from (I check sweetwater and thats how many)

then how many more options would depend how much more you wanna spend.

in all honesty your choices are pretty easy to make, by the time you filter some basic specs like hardtail and color, or just overall looks you only have like two guitars, then you can search those here, or ask for reviews.

if you want used, apply same method. Search "7 string" on reverb, or ebay or whatever. Filter out your price range and filter out the ones that you simple dont like the look off, or the ones too beat up. Again you prob would end up with couple of choices

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
Any Korean made guitar made in the last few years is a pretty safe bet. Just buy from somewhere with a return policy (new or used from Guitar Center) unless it’s something you really really want it could sell easily if you don’t dig it.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
With around 500$ you'll hardly get something decent brand new.
Used Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and maybe some used Ibanez Iron Label should be around that price.
Iron Labels are pretty inconsistent quality-wise , so I higly suggest you try one if you have the opportunity.

Mathemagician

Reaction score
You may find some great deals on user gear. But a used Banshee is probabably your best bet. And you may find a used Ibanez prestige or the 7621 (is that the correct #?) If it’s kind of “players condition”.

elkoki

Reaction score
With around 500$ you'll hardly get something decent brand new.
Used Schecter Hellraiser C-7 and maybe some used Ibanez Iron Label should be around that price.
Iron Labels are pretty inconsistent quality-wise.

That's true. Maybe I should just get a 6 string instead. I've seen some pretty great deals on used gear at guitar center for some fairly recent models .

I have a Japanese ax7521 that I was trying to sell off. Maybe I should just keep that and upgrade the pickups and get a 6 string instead.

EverDream

Reaction score
I bought my Schecter C7 Blackjack in 2005 and it was $550 USD... brand new from an online music store... and the guitar wasn't decent... it was really good quality and had great sound! It had duncan pickups (not duncan designed) and sounded awesome, I didn't need to do anything to the guitar. I would like to hope 13 years later you could still get a quality 7-string guitar for around $500, unless prices have gone up??? (I haven't looked since then for a 7 so I don't really know for sure).

Curt 8771

Reaction score
You may find some great deals on user gear. But a used Banshee is probabably your best bet. And you may find a used Ibanez prestige or the 7621 (is that the correct #?) If it’s kind of “players condition”.

Second this. A used Banshee is a great idea. I recently found one of the 2014 passive models brand new for $800 with excellent features and QC. Since they're 4 years old you could probably find a decent one for in your budget.

elkoki

Reaction score
Some people have been snagging the KM7 mkii for around $600 recently. Best bang for the buck imo.

Is it really? I have actually seen a KM7 or maybe it was the 6 ... in lambo orange. It's 400 locally . But I don't know much about it. and i'm always a little cautious about buying used anywhere unless its somewhere with a decent return policy. Sometimes people think you're a sucker and want to unload their problematic gear on to you

elkoki

Reaction score
From a quick google search I saw those KM7's are in the $900 range...and this guy wants $400, I wonder whats wrong with it. Lol

diagrammatiks

Reaction score
From a quick google search I saw those KM7's are in the $900 range...and this guy wants $400, I wonder whats wrong with it. Lol

probably nothing 400 is average price for a km7 mki.
gc just blew out their entire stock of mkii's for 600 bucks and that guitar was 1200 new.

BMO

Geetarist
Reaction score
I’d take a look for a 7421 or even 7621 used on reverb. They’re built awesome and are tried and true. They’re basswood which sounds like mahogany but can be lightweight. If you’re gonna go Schecter and want something with some weight/heft to it keep an eye out for used blackjacks. Lastly, try throwing LTD onto your list. The EC and SC guitars especially will have quite a bit of weight to em and be built like tanks.

elkoki

Reaction score
I’d take a look for a 7421 or even 7621 used on reverb. They’re built awesome and are tried and true. They’re basswood which sounds like mahogany but can be lightweight. If you’re gonna go Schecter and want something with some weight/heft to it keep an eye out for used blackjacks. Lastly, try throwing LTD onto your list. The EC and SC guitars especially will have quite a bit of weight to em and be built like tanks.

For the moment I kind of gave up on searching and I just upgraded my ax7521. I got it for $100 and snagged a d activator set for $60 .. actually they were in an ibanez gio 7 string, got the whole thing for $60.. So for the time being the ax7 is my 7 string. Going to pimp it out a little more with a push pull for more variety in sound. The quality on this guitar is really really great.

There's someone selling an rg7421 from 1999 Japanese made for $200. It's in overall pretty decent shape and I'm considering it . But I'll hold out and see if anything better pops up. I'm a bargain hunter and as you can see from the stuff I told you I already bought. I like good deals.

Reactions: BMO

The Silent Man

Savatage,Evergrey, Shadow Gallery,Vanden Plas fan
Reaction score
I recently tried a Jackson Soloist SLAT3-7 (neck-through construction, EMG humbuckers). I was impressed with the playability and overall feel of the guitar. My playing speed suddenly increased by 30%.
On the same day I also tried a pre-owned 7-string Schecter Hellraiser and it was close to the Jackson, an amazing guitar.
Try some if you can.

Wolfos

Guitarded
Reaction score
I was extremely happy with my Jackson DKA7 I snagged it used for $200 and it could do everything. Had a great feeling neck, great tuning stability, pickups were meh but construction was awesome for price which is really what's important.

lurè

Fake Shredder
Reaction score
Wrong thread lol

Last edited:
')