Decent low priced Ibanez

• Thread starter mmotorsport
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Scali

Banned
Reaction score
so now there are a few little things affecting my choice. The rg2ex1 has v7/v8 and a 5 way selector which is good. and a sorta plain but decent finish. Now the 421 although looks better has what im afraid is crappier pickups and only a 3 way selector. but 421 is mahogany, and i haven't come across many mahogany ibanezs lately.

so im still debating............keep the info coming

Well, I'd go for the mahogany, because if the pickups turn out to be crap, you can swap them, and put a 5-way switch in (you could get a V7 and V8 really cheap, since lots of people swap them out)... and you have a killer mahogany shredmachine.
In fact, I wouldn't be surprised that the mahogany RG sounds better than the basswood one, even if the pickups themselves aren't as good.
In my opinion, the V7 and V8 are very nice pickups, but they just don't match well with basswood. They work great in mahogany or alder for example.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

')