Deciding the Genre for your music!

• Thread starter ShadowAMD
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Any body else find this difficult?

I'm a singer and axe player, one minute I'm into my Scar Symmetry style melodeath then the next I think wait.. Even though I can growl and stuff, maybe my cleans are better suited to rock music.. YES let's do it... Next week it flips around..

At this rate I'll still be deciding when I'm 80, if I live that long ha!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Over thinking the genre will end you up in the category of experimental doom bluegrass with indie and tribal influences.

HA! :hbang: Thinking about it, Alien bloodfast power shred metal might be interesting.

Alpenglow

music and shat
Reaction score
Don't care man. Let someone else call it whatever the hell they want, all you have to do is write what you love. :)
Have you heard Tosin Abasi when asked to give Animals as Leaders a genre? "Progressive jazz space metal with obvious electronic, ambient, and other influences," or something like that. :lol: Just write whatever you want.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
It's more than categorising it to me, it's not a hobby for me and a lot of people are the same, it's an obsession. My day job is only to fund my music habit, let's say you choose a melodeath genre and get used to playing to the owner and his cat, it kinda all seems pointless putting in so much time and 1000's and 1000's of dollars.

So do you play it safe, or think fuck it and hope for the best?

Demiurge

Reaction score
It's a great 'problem' to have creatively. If you have diverse tastes and interests that express themselves at difference junctures, don't fight them.

Interesting things- and sometimes great things- come from blending differing and opposing influences together. There are a billion bands out there that seem to operate on the notion that their sole purpose the planet is to faithfully recite the tropes of the genre they chose to play. It might seem gratifying to chose to play something that is popular and vetted; certainly, you can do what you want, but can you say for certain that intrinsically that is more worthwhile than playing what you want, even if it is just at home and can only be heard by your pets?

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
It's a great 'problem' to have creatively. If you have diverse tastes and interests that express themselves at difference junctures, don't fight them.

Interesting things- and sometimes great things- come from blending differing and opposing influences together. There are a billion bands out there that seem to operate on the notion that their sole purpose the planet is to faithfully recite the tropes of the genre they chose to play. It might seem gratifying to chose to play something that is popular and vetted; certainly, you can do what you want, but can you say for certain that intrinsically that is more worthwhile than playing what you want, even if it is just at home and can only be heard by your pets?

I agree 100%, I think it would be nice if I can phase out some of the day to day boring shit job and start making a little money out of the industry.. I'm not trying to be a sell out and neither am looking to be exceedingly famous.

Then again, Meshuggah, In flames, Soilwork etc. etc. havn't exactly had an appalling career playing to there cat's.. I suppose it's location to consider as well.. The metal scene in the UK isn't exactly blossoming at the moment.

morrowcosom

Reaction score
Melodeath and rock music actually would go well together. Several 80's rock bands had those Iron Maiden style harmonies and used a lot more of the melodic styling in their music as opposed to going pentatonic.

I can definitely see some similarities between melodeath and cock rock.

ShadowAMD

Reaction score
Melodeath and rock music actually would go well together. Several 80's rock bands had those Iron Maiden style harmonies and used a lot more of the melodic styling in their music as opposed to going pentatonic.

I can definitely see some similarities between melodeath and cock rock.

CockDeath, new genre!

Latest posts

')