Deciding to buy a 7-string

• Thread starter Jamallica
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jamallica

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've currently been playing with only a 6 string for about 5-6 years and I've decided it might be time to buy a 7 string to match the music I listen to nowadays.

But to the question at hand,

I have no idea which 7 string to buy. Since I live in Sweden it might be hard to get the Agile 7 strings that are mentioned a lot on this website. Also because I only have a price tag of 300-400 USD and can't afford to have a shipping company ship it to Sweden as it also could get damaged on the way.

Buying used is an option but it all depends whether or not someone actually is selling it since not a lot of people in my area use 7 strings.

So what I'm mostly looking for is an easy-to-play 7 string that doesn't have a wide neck and should be priced at around 300-400 USD.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

WhoThenNow7

Reaction score
Ibanez RG7321 or Jackson JS22-7. Haven't played the Jackson, but from what I hear they are great for the price.

michblanch

Reaction score
Ibanez RG7321 or Jackson JS22-7. Haven't played the Jackson, but from what I hear they are great for the price.

The above.

The Ibanez 7 string guitars can now be found for around $250 used and even less.
The 7620 is a great guitar. I prefer the 7421 version without the trem.
Great necks on the Ibi 7's.

Jamallica

Reaction score

The above.

The Ibanez 7 string guitars can now be found for around $250 used and even less.
The 7620 is a great guitar. I prefer the 7421 version without the trem.
Great necks on the Ibi 7's.

I've heard about them a lot but from what I've seen the pickups are not really that great on the 7321, 7421 and JS22.

So I probably have to buy one that sounds decent or try my best at finding a used one so I can buy some DiMarzio's or Duncan's.

stevexc

Reaction score
I've heard about them a lot but from what I've seen the pickups are not really that great on the 7321, 7421 and JS22.

So I probably have to buy one that sounds decent or try my best at finding a used one so I can buy some DiMarzio's or Duncan's.

Most of what you've heard is an exaggeration. All three guitars have perfectly usable pickups, and while they can easily be improved upon, will work perfectly as a budget 7.

Beavis83

Reaction score
Most of what you've heard is an exaggeration. All three guitars have perfectly usable pickups, and while they can easily be improved upon, will work perfectly as a budget 7.

I agree with the above - the stock Pups on these models are more than adequate. I know lads who gig regularly with guitars in this range and everything is stock.
Still though you do see a lot of guys putting in aftermarket Pups that are worth more than the guitar.

Jamallica

Reaction score

I agree with the above - the stock Pups on these models are more than adequate. I know lads who gig regularly with guitars in this range and everything is stock.
Still though you do see a lot of guys putting in aftermarket Pups that are worth more than the guitar.

Thanks for the answers guys.

People are saying the 7321 & 7421 have some muddy pickups when you play high-gain stuff, but the positive is that they're really comfortable.

I really like the sound for the dinky and its also 200-250 USD in my area.
And I could buy aftermarket pickups for the money I save but are they as comfortable as the 7321 and 7421?

stevexc

Reaction score
I'd say the Jackson's neck profile and arched top make it more comfortable, to be honest. The RGs have really harsh shoulders due to how flat the neck is and the body is kind of a big thick slab of wood. They're not uncomfortable to play by any means, but they're not exactly a shining example of "comfy guitar". It's a very close game between the two.

In your case I'd go with the Jackson - it's got the extended scale length which will help you out if you drop tune (plus on the 26.5" scale the D'Addario 7-string set is actually not bad so strings are easier to come by).

Jamallica

Reaction score
I'd say the Jackson's neck profile and arched top make it more comfortable, to be honest. The RGs have really harsh shoulders due to how flat the neck is and the body is kind of a big thick slab of wood. They're not uncomfortable to play by any means, but they're not exactly a shining example of "comfy guitar". It's a very close game between the two.

In your case I'd go with the Jackson - it's got the extended scale length which will help you out if you drop tune (plus on the 26.5" scale the D'Addario 7-string set is actually not bad so strings are easier to come by).

Alright, I'll look more into the JS22-7 since the dinky is about 200-250 whilst the ibby's are 400-ish area. But I'll most likely have to go after what people say about the guitars since my lms, 4sound, doesn't have either of these three guitars.

michblanch

Reaction score
Another guitar you may think about is the LTD SC Stephen Carpenter models.
The prices on those have come down significantly. I like the neck profile but that Ibanez RG 7 String neck is the bomb.

The Ibanez 7 strings have an outstanding neck.
Ibanez did a blowout on that line of guitars a few years ago and marked them down to $250. That is why you se so many of them available.

It was an incredible deal and people jumped all over it.
That is one of the reasons you an still get them on the used market pretty cheap and still have some cash in your pocket for upgrades.

One of the vendors here 6string.com has some crazy deals on guitars right now. I went thru his inventory and it looks like he has some NAMM models that were 1 offs that he is selling.

Here's his link.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/de...-guitar-super-store-6-string-com-sponsor.html

Jamallica

Reaction score
Another guitar you may think about is the LTD SC Stephen Carpenter models.
The prices on those have come down significantly. I like the neck profile but that Ibanez RG 7 String neck is the bomb.

The Ibanez 7 strings have an outstanding neck.
Ibanez did a blowout on that line of guitars a few years ago and marked them down to $250. That is why you se so many of them available.

It was an incredible deal and people jumped all over it.
That is one of the reasons you an still get them on the used market pretty cheap and still have some cash in your pocket for upgrades.

One of the vendors here 6string.com has some crazy deals on guitars right now. I went thru his inventory and it looks like he has some NAMM models that were 1 offs that he is selling.

Here's his link.
http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/de...-guitar-super-store-6-string-com-sponsor.html

LTD Guitars are out of my price range and there doesn't seem to be any used ones either atm, but I'll keep an eye out

michblanch

Reaction score
Another question guys.

Is it worth looking into an used Ibanez RGA7? Found one in my area for around 410 bucks.

That's to much to pay. I'm not one to send people over to the Evil Empire, but GC has an Ass ton of used Rga7's in various colors for around $260.00.
And if you gave a GC near you , it will be shipped for free to that location for your pickup.

But I'll bet there are some vendors here in the vendors section who can help you.
Reach out to one of them.

Last edited:

Jamallica

Reaction score
That's to much to pay. I'm not one to send people over to the Evil Empire, but GC has an Ass ton of used Rga7's in various colors for around $260.00.
And if you gave a GC near you , it will be shipped for free to that location for your pickup.

But I'll bet there are some vendors here in the vendors section who can help you.
Reach out to one of them.

I just checked out Guitar Center and the prices are amazing!

But do they do ship to Sweden? Because from what I heard it's mostly just in USA's neighbouring countries

myrtorp

Jiggywiggy
Reaction score
I got a RG7321 from Blocket for 3000 kr. Very nice guitar, i like the neck. I have a prestige ibby too but still play the RG7321 all the time.
I also found this on there:

Ibanez Apex 2 - 7-strängad | Skåne (quick edit, i just saw that he's not too keen on shipping it, maybe if you ask really nice!)

For 4000 kr. Maybe too expensive? I've never tried the Apex myself.

Lycka till :)

Jamallica

Reaction score
Cmon now. You have to do a little of this yourself. I found you the guitar now it's all on you. :wallbash:

Sorry :bowdown: have mercy,

But anyways, I've never been on the GC-site before so pardon my cautiousness.
Anyways, I found out they actually were shipping to Sweden so that's where I'll probably order my first 7 string! ( unless i find it cheaper in Sweden. )

I got a RG7321 from Blocket for 3000 kr. Very nice guitar, i like the neck. I have a prestige ibby too but still play the RG7321 all the time.
I also found this on there:

Ibanez Apex 2 - 7-strängad | Skåne (quick edit, i just saw that he's not too keen on shipping it, maybe if you ask really nice!)

For 4000 kr. Maybe too expensive? I've never tried the Apex myself.

Lycka till :)

3000 SEK for a used RG7321 is way too pricy for me and the apex seems nice but it's way over my budget and there's no way I can get there since I live around almost 6 hours away from where the guy selling the apex lives.

michblanch

Reaction score
Sorry :bowdown: have mercy,

But anyways, I've never been on the GC-site before so pardon my cautiousness.
Anyways, I found out they actually were shipping to Sweden so that's where I'll probably order my first 7 string! ( unless i find it cheaper in Sweden. )

3000 SEK for a used RG7321 is way too pricy for me and the apex seems nice but it's way over my budget and there's no way I can get there since I live around almost 6 hours away from where the guy selling the apex lives.

No problem. I was just picking.
I'm glad that GC will ship to you.

')