Decking a non-recessed Floyd

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Hey everyone! So I recently traded my way into a basically-new Charvel Super Stock Model 1988 Dinky. I love this guitar to pieces! It sounds great and plays great. However, I noticed that the non-recessed Floyd Rose does not rest on the body (decked). The action is already super low (3/64-2/64) and if I were to lower the bridge any closer to the body, it would totally fret out. I checked the neck pocket for shims and there aren't any currently. The neck relief is moderately straight (.5mmish?) Some people have said online that Charvel sometimes design guitars this way so that you can have a little flutter and upwards play without having extensive travel and body routing. But this all seems counter-intuitive to me because considering its non-recessed, I though the whole point was to have the bridge resting decked on the body ala EVH for using a D-Tuna or doing big bends and not having to worry about going out of tune if you break a string. Do I need to bring the guitar to a trusted luthier to possibly shave some of the neck heel off (or even the neck pocket) to allow the neck to sit deeper, thereby allowing me to bring the floyd down resting on the body decked and also allowing me to install and use the D-tune (which was the point of me getting this guitar initially). Or should I accept that this guitar wasn't designed for that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

cip 123

Reaction score
I'd find a work around, if you already love how the thing plays adding shims is a quick way to ruin it or give you more problems later down the line.

cardinal

Buys guitars, sometimes plays them
Reaction score
I would just shim the front of the neck pocket if you really want it decked.

MaxOfMetal

Likes trem wankery.
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ya'll are way over thinking it.

If the guitar plays great, don't fuck with the neck.

Just put a wedge behind the trem for it to rest on. Bring the body/deck to the trem, not the other way around.

A small piece of wood or plastic should do the trick.

mguilherme87

SouthShoreSeven
Reaction score
Ya'll are way over thinking it.

If the guitar plays great, don't fuck with the neck.

Just put a wedge behind the trem for it to rest on. Bring the body/deck to the trem, not the other way around.

A small piece of wood or plastic should do the trick.

That's what my luthier recommended as well! I'm either going to leave it as it is or do what you recommended. Thank you, everyone for your input!