Defacing of monuments is apparently becoming more common.

• Thread starter KnightBrolaire
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
So, I don't have any real personal problem with you, and we've gone back and forth on some recording stuff elsewhere here and in that environment you came across like a decent enough guy. So, while I know this is a little more of a heated venue, I want to start by saying that this is not a personal attack, me passing judgement, etc, or anything like that, so much as an observation that I think is worth spending some time meditating on.

A very fundamentally human characteristic is to form snap judgments based on first impressions. You walk into a bar, you see one guy in a neatly tailored suit, carefully trimmed and combed hair, polished shoes, fancy looking watch, carefully color-coordinated tie, and sipping a neat whiskey out of a heavy tumbler guy, and next to him is a guy with moussed hair, ripped up jeans, an old and rumpled looking t-shirt, and a beat up pair of unlaced Chuck Taylors, and you're going to form some pretty immediate first impressions. Now, as it happens the guy in the suit may be broke and celebrating on the way back from an interview for a job he hopes he gets and the guy in the jeans may be loaded and just didn't feel like dressing up that day, or the guy in the suit may be a closet metalhead (often enough to count, that's me) while the guy dressed like a bum might compose classical music for a living, or any other amount of stereotypes might get violated, but the important thing is a lot of those outcomes would be considered a surprise - people are often shocked when they meet me in a professional setting to find out 1) I'm a musician, who 2) listens to, at least sometimes, some pretty heavy music, and 3) plays and records instrumental shred. It's something you don't expect from a guy in a Brooks Brothers suit. And, personally speaking, I kind of enjoy confronting those stereotypes and making people second guess themselves. But, those stereotypes absolutely exist.

So, where I'm going with that is this; on the internet, all those visual cues are gone, and the only things we have to form impressions about people we interact with on boards like this one are basic things like username, avatar, and our posts. And, if you routinely violate the rules of grammar, and post with iffy sentence structure, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation usage, then since we're operating in an environment where that's literally all we know about each other, then if you post with poor grammar and spelling, people are going to start with the assumption that this is because you simply don't know any better.

Now, that's a starting point, and over time that can evolve, like anything else. But, you're shooting yourself in the foot, when you refuse to bother with communicating in a manner that displays your intelligence. Again, there's nothing that says you have to put that effort in... But if you don't, then, yeah, you have to accept the reality that people are likely to start off thinking you're less intelligent than they are.

Like I said, that's not an attack on you, a critique of your political views, etc, so much as an observation on life. People form impressions on how you present yourself, so I think how you choose to present yourself in ANY forum, internet or real world, is something worth spending some time thinking about.

Valid points. I understand them exactly. My thing is is honestly im a very sensitive person, and i take things personally when i shouldnt. I get offended easily and get all wound up and im thinking faster than i can type in my response. So i get ahead of myself. That, coupled with me being on a smart phone where typos are usually abound = recipe for looking like an uneducated person.

So i apologize!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score
So, I don't have any real personal problem with you, and we've gone back and forth on some recording stuff elsewhere here and in that environment you came across like a decent enough guy. So, while I know this is a little more of a heated venue, I want to start by saying that this is not a personal attack, me passing judgement, etc, or anything like that, so much as an observation that I think is worth spending some time meditating on.

A very fundamentally human characteristic is to form snap judgments based on first impressions. You walk into a bar, you see one guy in a neatly tailored suit, carefully trimmed and combed hair, polished shoes, fancy looking watch, carefully color-coordinated tie, and sipping a neat whiskey out of a heavy tumbler guy, and next to him is a guy with moussed hair, ripped up jeans, an old and rumpled looking t-shirt, and a beat up pair of unlaced Chuck Taylors, and you're going to form some pretty immediate first impressions. Now, as it happens the guy in the suit may be broke and celebrating on the way back from an interview for a job he hopes he gets and the guy in the jeans may be loaded and just didn't feel like dressing up that day, or the guy in the suit may be a closet metalhead (often enough to count, that's me) while the guy dressed like a bum might compose classical music for a living, or any other amount of stereotypes might get violated, but the important thing is a lot of those outcomes would be considered a surprise - people are often shocked when they meet me in a professional setting to find out 1) I'm a musician, who 2) listens to, at least sometimes, some pretty heavy music, and 3) plays and records instrumental shred. It's something you don't expect from a guy in a Brooks Brothers suit. And, personally speaking, I kind of enjoy confronting those stereotypes and making people second guess themselves. But, those stereotypes absolutely exist.

So, where I'm going with that is this; on the internet, all those visual cues are gone, and the only things we have to form impressions about people we interact with on boards like this one are basic things like username, avatar, and our posts. And, if you routinely violate the rules of grammar, and post with iffy sentence structure, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation usage, then since we're operating in an environment where that's literally all we know about each other, then if you post with poor grammar and spelling, people are going to start with the assumption that this is because you simply don't know any better.

Now, that's a starting point, and over time that can evolve, like anything else. But, you're shooting yourself in the foot, when you refuse to bother with communicating in a manner that displays your intelligence. Again, there's nothing that says you have to put that effort in... But if you don't, then, yeah, you have to accept the reality that people are likely to start off thinking you're less intelligent than they are.

Like I said, that's not an attack on you, a critique of your political views, etc, so much as an observation on life. People form impressions on how you present yourself, so I think how you choose to present yourself in ANY forum, internet or real world, is something worth spending some time thinking about.

Valid points. I understand them exactly. My thing is is honestly im a very sensitive person, and i take things personally when i shouldnt. I get offended easily and get all wound up and im thinking faster than i can type in my response. So i get ahead of myself. That, coupled with me being on a smart phone where typos are usually abound = recipe for looking like an uneducated person.

So i apologize!

Unleash The Fury

Reaction score

So i apologize!

Triple post! Im sorry about that. When i hit the post button it kept buffering so i ended up hitting it three times before i saw it post. Sorry!

Double edit: if there isnt, there should be a way to delete posts on here

Last edited:

Drew

Forum MVP
Reaction score

So i apologize!

Triple post! Im sorry about that. When i hit the post button it kept buffering so i ended up hitting it three times before i saw it post. Sorry!

Double edit: if there isnt, there should be a way to delete posts on here
If there's anything ELSE I've learned from life, and I'll be the first to admit it's something I still struggle with sometimes, it's that while obviously it's a balancing act and you can go too far, giving a little less of a shit about other people's opinions of me when I think they're wrong probably wouldn't kill me. :lol:

But, right on - thanks for not taking that as an attack, and in the spirit I meant it. :yesway: