Deftones Appreciation Thread

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dvon21

Reaction score
I was there too. Their crowd may not have been as dense as System's but everyone was so pumped. I've been waiting to see them for 6 years now, they're also in my top 3. :hbang:

EDIT: All that mud was caked all the way up to my knee. I went to my hotel and the hotel managers looked at me like :ugh::lol:

Pooluke41

H. Maddas
Reaction score
Inb4 BrainArt

Also, Deftones are fucking awesome.

If they had any other vocalist their music would just not work.

Semichastny

Reaction score
Stephen's playing has had a great influence in how I approach guitar. That being said the people I know who have seen them on their tour with system said deftones seemed like they weren't into it.

dvon21

Reaction score
That may be because of the nature of their music. When I was watching them at Heavy T.O, Chino seemed to be having a great time. Stephen seemed into the music, just not the type a guy to run around stage and stuff. :shrug:

Scar Symmetry

Ex Whiny Bitch
Reaction score
Christ they've lost weight. :lol:

I'm in, I love Deftones. To me in the same way Cult of Luna are Sleep Metal, Deftones are Sex Metal.

7stringDemon

Reaction score
Jokes aside, I've always known of them but my appreciation for the Deftones actually started just about a week or two ago. I was in some shitty mall store (Hot Rags I believe) and I heard an INSANELY heavy guitar tone then I heard the singers awesome, yet, not so heavy vocals and I fell in love with the contrast. Now I have a few albums on my Zune :D

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
That may be because of the nature of their music. When I was watching them at Heavy T.O, Chino seemed to be having a great time. Stephen seemed into the music, just not the type a guy to run around stage and stuff. :shrug:
Ya know I had heard from a few people that had saw them perform an said that either the sound was shit or they weren't into it, etc, but from what I saw man, holy shit do they ever perform. Chino and the rest of the band are approaching 40 and they were right into it bouncing all over the stage.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
Jokes aside, I've always known of them but my appreciation for the Deftones actually started just about a week or two ago. I was in some shitty mall store (Hot Rags I believe) and I heard an INSANELY heavy guitar tone then I heard the singers awesome, yet, not so heavy vocals and I fell in love with the contrast. Now I have a few albums on my Zune :D

Do you remember what track it was ? The first song I heard from them was Root, I'm pretty sure. I remember I rushed to the cd store and bought Adrenaline and Around the Fur. When I heard My Own Summer and the title track off Around the Fur I was hooked. For me, every album can be listened to from start to finish. Just one of those bands that just can't do wrong in my eyes.
Can't wait for October 9 :shred:

Sikthness

Reaction score
Do you remember what track it was ? The first song I heard from them was Root, I'm pretty sure. I remember I rushed to the cd store and bought Adrenaline and Around the Fur. When I heard My Own Summer and the title track off Around the Fur I was hooked. For me, every album can be listened to from start to finish. Just one of those bands that just can't do wrong in my eyes.

My Own summer was my introduction to them too when it first came out. I was into KoRn n the Bizkit heavily at thetime, and about ten seconds after hearing the My Own Summer I was in love. Have been ever since, easily one of my most anticipated cds this year.

Reaction score
Stephen Carpenter has the best guitar collection in music.

Deftones are awesome.

One of the very few bands I want to see live.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
My Own Summer is the reason I picked up a guitar, and the first song I proceeded to learn on it. I dont listen to them as much as I use to, but Deftones will always have a special place with me and are and important part of my musical upbringing.

SenorDingDong

Smeller of Smells
Reaction score
One of my top three bands of the past two decades. I fucking approve :yesway:

7stringDemon

Reaction score

No idea. I just knew the band (obviously)

I Voyager

Reaction score
I was never a huge fan of these guys (Chino's voice used to be a big turn off), but I've been listening to some of their stuff lately, and it's pretty sweet (especially Diamond Eyes). They were pretty solid when I saw them opening for SOAD a couple of weeks ago, too.

wankerness

Reaction score
I got their first two albums back in high school when I was a nu-metal fanboy and liked about half of each, then white pony came out and pretty much blew my mind. I remember being amazed at all the positive press it got (I remember rave reviews in like, Time magazine). Then their S/T came out and I think I listened to it once and didn't pay attention to them again until someone mentioned that "Saturday Night Wrist" was good, and then I fell in love with them all over again. I still think White Pony is by far their best, but Saturday Night Wrist is incredibly good too.

The Self-Titled turned me off in a big way, I've tried over the last few years to listen to it several times but it never manages to hold my interest. Bloody Cape and Hexagram are pretty awesome, but most of the songs just don't hold my interest. It feels like it should have been the album BEFORE White Pony.

Be Quiet and Drive was like, my favorite song back in high school. I still think it's probably their second best song after Knife Prty.

Adrenaline is kind of a strange album. The first few tracks are pretty terrible and mostly just are Chino muttering about how bored he is, but the second half is entirely great besides maybe Fireal. Even the secret track is great. Root, Seven Words, Engine No 9 and Birthmark all hold up.

I always sorta felt like Around the Fur felt like a half-baked album in comparison, songs like Headup are just boring. The production is a heck of a lot better and the few really good songs make up for it.

I still don't really like Diamond Eyes besides Sex Tape, that is a great song/video!

Latest posts

')