Deftones Appreciation Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
Maybe it's the fact that I wasn't a teenager in the 90's, but it took me a long time to get Deftones, but when I got into them, I got White Pony, and Diamond Eyes. Whilst both are solid albums, the feeling I'm more familiar with (as a full album) is the feeling I get from DE. I loved bits of WP, especially Pink Maggit (which still sends the most insane shivers rolling up and down my spine), but for some reason DE has more of an effect on me, and I don't get it when I see people absolutely raving about WP. Is it because I wasnt there for the band's beginings? IDK but Deftones are a band that touch ground that others can't even fucking scratch, and I love tehm dearly, and cannot wait to hear KNY

Dwellingers

Reaction score
The new album scores 5/6 stars here. IMO better than DE, but thats just me :). Really diggin´the hell out of this!

Marv Attaxx

Reaction score
For me it's the perfect record, loving every second of it :yesway:
Yesterday night I just sat down on my couch in my home-cinema, drank some whiskey and listened to rosemary. It was magic :lol:
The record's a good balance between neckbreaker and f**k-songs haha

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
Maybe it's the fact that I wasn't a teenager in the 90's, but it took me a long time to get Deftones, but when I got into them, I got White Pony, and Diamond Eyes. Whilst both are solid albums, the feeling I'm more familiar with (as a full album) is the feeling I get from DE. I loved bits of WP, especially Pink Maggit (which still sends the most insane shivers rolling up and down my spine), but for some reason DE has more of an effect on me, and I don't get it when I see people absolutely raving about WP. Is it because I wasnt there for the band's beginings? IDK but Deftones are a band that touch ground that others can't even fucking scratch, and I love tehm dearly, and cannot wait to hear KNY

I think White Pony showed how fucking weird and atmospheric the band could get. It was kind of an unprecedented record at the time, considering everyone the Deftones were being lumped with and touring with. It was just a creepy, unsettling album that didn't really have a place in the current niche (at the time). The lyrical content was so different from anything around, and people gravitated a lot toward it, myself included, because it was so genuinely ominous and amorphous. But I get where you're coming from and I totally understand. I guess WP just holds a very, very special place in the hearts of the people that were coming up with this music. It was very, very far ahead of the curve in terms of quality. No one at the time could really claim that.

johnny666

Reaction score
Awesome thread and yeah Deftones is also one of my very favorites. Have you heard Carpenters new music "Sol Invicto" Here sounds nothing like Deftones be hey you might find it interesting :)

kerska

That guy...
Reaction score
I've loved the Deftones since I was in about 7th grade (1997ish) and I'm going to see them for the first time ever tomorrow here in Dallas.

Words can't describe my excitement.

osmosis2259

Reaction score
Gets better and better with more listens.

Diamond Eyes hit me right off the bat because it's more direct/immediate sounding. Koi No Yokan is more atmospheric/layered and all the mellow and the heaviness really needs to be sinked in.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
I've seen the Deftones live more times than any other band, except for some of my friends local bands. I've seen them ten times at this point. The best one was at the Gorge in southeast Washington, and if you've never been there you need to make it for a show there at some point, it is probably the best venue in the country:agreed: First time was 1998 (I think).

wankerness

Reaction score

I don't think the subsequent albums matched White Pony, it's not just good because it was such a progression or anything. I do remember the first time I listened to it my mind was blown cause it seemed like they'd zeroed in on what made "Be Quiet and Drive" off the previous album so good and did that on a few different tracks. That was always the only track on Around the Fur that I'd listen to over and over. So, when White Pony came out and almost every song was like that instead of a screechy powerchord chugfest (well, I guess Elite sort of falls under the classification, but the weird chorus differentiates it from their earlier stuff) I was in heaven, pretty much.

So yeah, I get major chills from Digital Bath, Knife Prty, Change, Pink Maggit, and even the chorus on RX queen. Not much of anything on subsequent albums has that effect (Hexagram, Hole in the Earth, Bloody Cape, Sex Tape are the only ones I can think of off-hand). I guess I'm like a drug addict with having songs give me the shivers. If it doesn't do it, it isn't good enough!

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
I think White Pony showed how fucking weird and atmospheric the band could get. It was kind of an unprecedented record at the time, considering everyone the Deftones were being lumped with and touring with. It was just a creepy, unsettling album that didn't really have a place in the current niche (at the time). The lyrical content was so different from anything around, and people gravitated a lot toward it, myself included, because it was so genuinely ominous and amorphous. But I get where you're coming from and I totally understand. I guess WP just holds a very, very special place in the hearts of the people that were coming up with this music. It was very, very far ahead of the curve in terms of quality. No one at the time could really claim that.

I think White Pony was one of the first albums I had ever heard where I simply couldn't turn it off, I put it on an every song just gripped me. I remember getting goosebumps the first time I

heard Korea :hbang:It was definitely a lot different then anything else out at the time. You said it best though, it holds a very special place in my heart.

Doug N

Reaction score
Koi No Yokan is Japanese for Holy Fuck, right? This shit is just not fair to all other albums released this year.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Romantic Dreams.. 2:41. What in the hell.. I didn't expect that level of heavy.

SWEET LORD JESUS TAKE ME HOME.

wee-bey-gif.gif

And, just made it to Polterheist.. sounds like something straight off Nothing.

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score
Koi No Yokan is Japanese for Holy Fuck, right? This shit is just not fair to all other albums released this year.

It means "Premonition of Love". :lol:

Speaking of which, I still need to get this. Granted that I loved Diamond Eyes and have loved the samples so far, the title seems appropriate. :lol:

wankerness

Reaction score
So, I preordered that whole litho/cd/shirt package off their site, and yesterday I got the litho. The tracking number says PACKAGE DELIVERED and I sure haven't gotten anything else! I wonder if this means the CD/shirt are lost in the mail or if they just decided to only give you a tracking number for one part of the shipment and the others will come in at some unspecified later date! Either way, I'm about ready to flip out and just listen to it on the internet like everyone else :(

wankerness

Reaction score
Except as an actual song.

Look, I love the Deftones, but trying to take a shit on meshuggah in the thread just makes you look bad :p

That riff actually reminded me of the intro to Demiurge, tonewise. Good times. I am thrilled to hear more 8 string riffing on this album. Seems to be tuned down to E instead of that weird F#BF# tuning like on the previous few, so I'll actually be able to play along without massively detuning my 7 string, woo.

EDIT: Yeah, the reviews saying this is the best since White Pony are dead-on. This is great. Absolutely no sense of disappointment or "THAT'S IT?!" like I was getting throughout Diamond Eyes and the S/T. Not to say those are bad albums, but they took a long time to appreciate and I still don't like that much of them. This one is just like pure orgasm from start to finish, definitely the most blown away I've been by anything by them since I first heard White Pony. "Entombed" is my early favorite.

Latest posts

')