Deftones Appreciation Thread

baptizedinblood

Z̶̭̠̻̳̲͗̎̾͒͛̃̒ͭ̚͢
Reaction score
Hey guys, so first off I must admit I haven't looked at every single page of this thread yet, but I haven't seen this question so far: any recommendations on a good starting point in their discography? I just haven't been able to get into these guys yet, although (especially from this thread) it seems that people have a ton of love for them. Thanks!

Start with White Pony IMO.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flavenstein

Reaction score
I feel like most of their albums are pretty accessible; you could start with anything (except maybe Adrenaline or Saturday Night Wrist).

If you like more simple and heavy, you could start with Around the Fur or Diamond Eyes.

If experimental/ambient is more intriguing to you, White Pony is a good place to start.

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah, pretty much White Pony is the place to start. The two before (Adrenaline and Around The Fur) are more heavy-oriented, and everything after White Pony gets more experiement (not to say any of it isn't heavy. Quite the contrary.)

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
Yeah I could see White Pony being a good start, Digital Bath is like one of my all time favorite tracks, but I don't think you could exclude Around The Fur from the list of albums to check out.
I know my self if Im trying to get into a band or get familliar I should say, I go through 2 or 3 tracks from every album.
Try this:

Around the Fur:
Around the Fur (title track)
My own summer

White Pony:
Digital Bath
Korea
(Personally I can't listen to 1 track off White Pony, It's an album experience for me)

Self Titled:
Minerva
Bloody Cape

Saturday Night Wrist:
Hole in the Earth
Mein

Diamond Eyes:
Diamond Eyes (title track)
You've seen the Butcher

Koi:
Tempest
Leathers
Rosemary

:lol: it's impossible for me to listen to just one track, now I'm going to sit here and listen to the self titled for the next hour or so

osmosis2259

Reaction score
Diamond Eyes for something easier to digest.

White Pony is their masterpiece in my opinion.

Eden57

Banned
Reaction score
I'm gonna say this for homeboy above a few posts... it depends. Deftones' music is so diverse from album to album - they keep it interesting, yet they keep it very "Deftones." They know how to isolate THEIR sound and make the resulting album new and fresh, though never really dateable. Sure, Adrenaline is punky and shittily recorded, but that was the time, that was the noise. That's what they wanted and it's a wonderful piece of history.

Turning them on now...

I love. LOVE. Koi No Yokan. It's at a tie with Saturday Night Wrist for best Deft album. Listen to Satuday Night Wrist, attn. to the last three songs. Combat to Kimdracula to Rivière... it is an amazing set of songs, though not the only ones to look at on that album. Cherry Waves anyone?

White Pony is one facet of a hugely diverse and rich history of a discography.

My first Deftones song was Hexagram, WAY back in my childhood's subconscious. It was on MTV2's Headbanger's Ball. Also on that compilation was Meshuggah's Rational Gaze and other personal nostalgias. I was doomed to love a low fuck-your-face-off tuned guitar.

::EDIT::

I also bought their entire discography (back in early Diamond Eyes days) within two days, so I just digested it one song at a time. I'm still working on digesting older, obscure stuff. They really know how to make shit interesting.

Eden57

Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to Atlantic City this weekend brah! Hella
And if anyone from certain other threads want to take a swing at me, try me - I'll be in the mosh pit!

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
I'm going to Atlantic City this weekend brah! Hella
And if anyone from certain other threads want to take a swing at me, try me - I'll be in the mosh pit!

I'll be looking for you! :hbang: I'm driving up from MD (hopefully these shitty weather conditions permitting). Their show in Baltimore last year easily ranks as in my top 5. What a fucking amazing performance.

It truly feels as if they have "found something" in the past few years. It's like they are getting younger, fresher, their sound more organic and dense. They were so amazingly tight and energetic, and each time Chino looked up at the balconies, there was a giant smile on his face. He didn't look like some jaded rock star going through the motions. You could tell this was where him and the rest of these dudes belonged. It's just very, very inspirational and motivating to see such a driven band push their sound further and further. I honestly feel they haven't put out their best record yet.

Eden57

Banned
Reaction score
looking outside my window, it's not the worst ever - but let's hope it stays that way. NJ is like my outhouse - it's not far I mean.

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score
Yeah, well, my work just let me know not to come in, and shit is definitely beginning to stick. I plowed some snow and it's getting heavier and heavier. I'm just worried about MD's ability to get things taken care of by Thursday night/Friday morning. We kind of realllllly suck at handling snow around here.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
Anybody here go to the Toronto show ? I'd like to have some decent pics and going through my phone my pictures turned out horribly. Once they release the S4 in March I'll be picking that up, my razr's camera sucks.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
R.I.P Chi Cheng

“Our dearest Family,

This is the hardest thing to write to you. Your love and heart and devotion to Chi was unconditional and amazing. I know that you will always remember him as a giant of a man on stage with a heart for every one of you. He was taken to the emegency room and at 3 am today his heart just suddenly stopped. He left this world with me singing songs he liked in his ear.

He fought the good fight.You stood by him sending love daily. He knew that he was very loved and never alone. I will write more later. I will be going through the oneloveforchi and any other information may not be reliable. If you have any stories or messages to share please send them to the onelove site. Please hold Mae and Ming and the siblings and especially Chi’s son, Gabriel in your prayers. It is so hard to let go.

With great love and “Much Respect!” Mom J (and Chi)”

The prp

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Here's a great tune to remember Chi by today:

His bass work in this song is just immaculate. It's simple, it supports the song, but it COMPLETELY makes the song. It's so airy and melodically perfect, and it has a great feel to it. It stands on it's own in a way.

wankerness

Reaction score
Yeah, Knife Prty has really distinctive use of fretless. It doesn't have that standard "MWAWP" sort of fretless sound AT ALL but it just plain wouldn't sound right on a fretted bass. Very tasteful use of it.

MF_Kitten

Set up us the bomb
Reaction score
Yeah, Knife Prty has really distinctive use of fretless. It doesn't have that standard "MWAWP" sort of fretless sound AT ALL but it just plain wouldn't sound right on a fretted bass. Very tasteful use of it.

that one sinking note just makes it so floaty!

doon-dooon-dooooOOOOOO...

SDSM

Reaction score
Yeah I could see White Pony being a good start, Digital Bath is like one of my all time favorite tracks, but I don't think you could exclude Around The Fur from the list of albums to check out.
I know my self if Im trying to get into a band or get familliar I should say, I go through 2 or 3 tracks from every album.
Try this:

Around the Fur:
Around the Fur (title track)
My own summer

White Pony:
Digital Bath
Korea
(Personally I can't listen to 1 track off White Pony, It's an album experience for me)

Self Titled:
Minerva
Bloody Cape

Saturday Night Wrist:
Hole in the Earth
Mein

Diamond Eyes:
Diamond Eyes (title track)
You've seen the Butcher

Koi:
Tempest
Leathers
Rosemary

:lol: it's impossible for me to listen to just one track, now I'm going to sit here and listen to the self titled for the next hour or so

Great to see some love for Tempest!

SDSM

Reaction score
Hey guys any of you use the Pod HD here? Been trying to replicate Stephs KOI NO YOKAN tone. I have the LTD SC-607B with the EMG 707 bridge pick up. I am really digging his tone on that album, modern sounding but with a vintage sorta tone...Like in Romantic Dreams where he does that sabbath like riff in the verses.

I wish there was a way to hear the isolated tracks...

')