Deftones Appreciation Thread

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Also, regarding Deftones' tunings, let's see if I'm right, from what I remember:

Adrenaline - 6 String (E Standard and Drop D)
Around the Fur - 6 String (Drop C#)
White Pony - 6 String Drop C
Deftones - 7 String G# Standard (drop F# for Needles and Pins if I'm not mistaken)
Saturday Night Wrist - 7 String Standard C# (with a low F#)
Diamond Eyes - Standard 8 String Tuning
Koi no Yokan - Drop E 8 String Tuning

Right or wrong? Anything missing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SDSM

Reaction score
After listening to them since Adrenaline came out, and constantly listening to Koi No Yokan, I actually think it surpasses White Pony as their Magnum Opus album. I also think Diamond Eyes is better than White Pony. Both albums take that atmosphere and add something more... I don't know how to explain but I love it.

I see KNY as WP's more happier optimistic cousin lol. Both have great atmosphere, but whereas WP is foreboding and dark KNY is dreamlike and gentle. I go back and forth between these two when it comes to my top Deftones album.

SDSM

Reaction score
Also, regarding Deftones' tunings, let's see if I'm right, from what I remember:

Adrenaline - 6 String (E Standard and Drop D)
Around the Fur - 6 String (Drop C#)
White Pony - 6 String Drop C
Deftones - 7 String G# Standard (drop F# for Needles and Pins if I'm not mistaken)
Saturday Night Wrist - 7 String Standard C# (with a low F#)
Diamond Eyes - Standard 8 String Tuning
Koi no Yokan - Drop E 8 String Tuning

Right or wrong? Anything missing?

Sounds right to me. Though I think I read somewhere that Steph actually used a detuned distorted bass on Needles and Pins.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Just curious as I only have a 7 string, but Love Diamond Eyes and Koi no Yokan, are there any songs on either of these albums that utilise more 7 string than 8 string, I'd love to learn some.

Thanks all holy fans

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
I haven't listened to the entirety of the albums, but I learned Diamond Eyes (just the song, not the whole album) today, with my 7 string tuned F#-C#-G#-C#-F#-A#-D#. Only really needed the F# and C# strings, it's a simple song.

SDSM

Reaction score
I don't think Rocket Skates uses the top string on his 8 string at all. I think you could get away with playing that on a standard 7 string.

SDSM

Reaction score
I have been playing Swerve City on my 7 string and it sounds fine too. I know some other people actually tune their seven strings right down to watch the tuning of an 8 too.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
Right on, thanks, Swerve City and Romantic Dreams (Cept the octave lower ending) is mostly using the B, think just a few stacked 5ths on the E that I've been missing out on for swerve.

Yeah not really looking to tune down unfortunately, haven't got the strings for it

Devyn Eclipse Nav

Avid Open C Enthusiast, Aspiring Ghibli Wizard
Reaction score
yeah he saw how wes tuned his guitars, and just thought it'd be easier to have his 7 string guitars tuned that way for the older stuff or something. I can't remember what interview, but he said something like that

He said he does that because a 7 string neck is more comfortable for him than a 6 string neck - just sorta outta convenience than anything else.

SDSM

Reaction score
Right on, thanks, Swerve City and Romantic Dreams (Cept the octave lower ending) is mostly using the B, think just a few stacked 5ths on the E that I've been missing out on for swerve.

Yeah not really looking to tune down unfortunately, haven't got the strings for it

I have the SC-607B with a heavy set of Ernie Balls currently tuned to drop G. I just try to transcribe the songs around that. I don't wanna tune any lower. My guitar is pretty much in the same tuning to their self titled album.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
Think I gotta agree with lucasreis, I picked up Koi No Yokan about a month ago and it's incredible.

SDSM

Reaction score
Yes it is. I have kept coming back to it a lot since its release.

wankerness

Reaction score
Just curious as I only have a 7 string, but Love Diamond Eyes and Koi no Yokan, are there any songs on either of these albums that utilise more 7 string than 8 string, I'd love to learn some.

Thanks all holy fans

I posted this earlier in the thread RE: Koi No Yokan and the lowest notes in each song (I was trying to determine if it used different tunings):

Swerve City - Lowest note = Bb, no reason it couldn't have been played on an 8 string though
Romantic Dreams - Drop E
Leathers - Lowest note = Bb, and in live videos it doesn't look like he's fingering anything on the fret board while playing that first chord so I figure he has some drop Bb guitar around somewhere, but again it's not like there's open string arpeggiated clean parts so no reason it couldn't have been recorded on an 8.
Poltergeist - Drop E
Entombed - The lowest note I can for sure even hear on the guitar is an F, as in the F above a standard guitar's low E. There are a ton of Bb chords but it sounds like only the bass is playing the Bb root, while the guitars are just playing higher notes in the chord. If I had to guess I'd say this was also done in some kind of Bb tuning but with how ethereal the guitars are there's not really any way to tell.
Graphic Nature - Drop E
Tempest - Lowest note = F, so it's safe to assume it's in Drop E and he just never plays an open E!
Gauze - Drop E
Rosemary - Same deal as Tempest, safe to assume Drop E but F is lowest note.
Goon Squad, again, lowest note is F, so probably drop E
What Happened to You? - No low guitar notes whatsoever, could have been played on a six string in standard for all I can tell!

So yeah, you're going to have to massively downtune a 7 string to play more songs than Swerve City, Leathers, Entombed, and What Happened to You?

In the time since posting that I've seen some live videos of leathers where that massively palmmuted intro riff seems to be played on an 8 string in drop E with all open strings, he's just muting it so hard that it changes the pitch to sound like it's something else and it's pretty indistinct besides. It sure sounds like the lowest note is a Bb on the studio version though.

If I remember right only like 3-4 songs on Diamond Eyes seem to be played on an 8 string, others seem to be in things like Drop C (ex Sex Tape, Beauty School).

Tordah

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Leathers is Drop E. That intro involves chugging on the open EBE, hence why it's so low.

Swerve City can be done on a standard tuned seven string, don't believe it's half a step down. Tried it on my baritone and it sounded right, might be wrong though.

EDIT: just saw your edit so I edited to say that you have edited it. But it still sounds like drop E in the studio version.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure Leathers is Drop E. That intro involves chugging on the open EBE, hence why it's so low.

Swerve City can be done on a standard tuned seven string, don't believe it's half a step down. Tried it on my baritone and it sounded right, might be wrong though.

I tabbed out Swerve City on my 8 string a while back and it pretty frequently uses a low Bb (but nothing lower). The main riff would be played like this on a Bb string:

4--4--4--4--4h5-0-0

That lowest note is definitely a Bb, it becomes more obvious on the end of verse phrases (ex, at 0:35) where he palm mutes a powerchord with it as the root. The big spacy chords on the verse are also Bbs (the guitar doesn't play the low one, but listen to the bass line) so the song's heavily based around that chord.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I tabbed out Swerve City on my 8 string a while back and it pretty frequently uses a low Bb (but nothing lower). The main riff would be played like this on a Bb string:

4--4--4--4--4h5-0-0

That lowest note is definitely a Bb, it becomes more obvious on the end of verse phrases (ex, at 0:35) where he palm mutes a powerchord with it as the root. The big spacy chords on the verse are also Bbs (the guitar doesn't play the low one, but listen to the bass line) so the song's heavily based around that chord.

This is actually the way Chino plays the song along with Stef. He uses a six string SG tuned to Bb. :)

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
If I remember right only like 3-4 songs on Diamond Eyes seem to be played on an 8 string, others seem to be in things like Drop C (ex Sex Tape, Beauty School).

On Diamond Eyes, he was pivoting much more off of the 7th string as his "base string" than the 8th, with the 8th more as an accent. I've actually found myself using my 8 very similarly to this, using the 7th string in the manner that most people use their lowest string.

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
Sounds right to me. Though I think I read somewhere that Steph actually used a detuned distorted bass on Needles and Pins.

Yeah, you are right. He play's a bass on that track, I was already a fanboy when that came out. You can tell by the timbre of the instrument on that one:hbang:

')