Deftones Appreciation Thread

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score

That's awesome, I never knew that, I saw them live twice but one time at the White Pony era and another time at the Saturday Night Wrist era (the song didn't exist in the first one and they didn't play it when I saw them in the second show because they were more focused on SNW songs) :)

I always assumed it was a very detuned guitar hehe

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score

That's pretty cool, I don't know what it sounds like to me but I never would have guessed a bass without having read it. It's pretty crazy how exactly that vid sounds like the album version, even in the parts with chords. I've never heard another bass sound like that.

tm20

Reaction score
i randomly thought about this last night but in engine no. 9, when the chorus riff has

E------0~-----0~
B------0~-----0~
G------0~-----0~
D-4-4-----4-4---
A-4-4-----4-4---
E-2-2-----2-2---

are the open E,B and G strings meant to sound like a steam engine when it goes choochoo? listening to suicide silence's cover of this song made me realize it does kind of sound like a steam train, or am i the only one who hears it like this? :spock:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^this reminds me of when I took mescaline as a teenager and was listening to Elephant Talk by King Crimson, and I finally realized that the crazy trumpeting sound was the elephant talk.

so yeah... did you take mescaline, or are you just high?

tm20

Reaction score
i didn't take mescaline and i wasn't high

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^it was kind of a joke. I meant to say not I do not personally think that they intended it to sound like a choo-choo train... but I didn't write the song so you never know. I can kind of understand where you are coming from but I think it's a bit of a stretch. Time for some fan-mail to stephen carpenter??

tm20

Reaction score
even i thought it was a bit of a stretch, but i just had to post it because i thought it was a pretty cool thought. but most of the time my friends think i'm ....ing insane so i can understand how you would've felt XD

Cnev

Reaction score
^this reminds me of when I took mescaline as a teenager and was listening to Elephant Talk by King Crimson, and I finally realized that the crazy trumpeting sound was the elephant talk.

so yeah... did you take mescaline, or are you just high?

I love that freaking song. I e-mailed it to one of my friends to check out and he thought I was trolling him. :(

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
^BALDERDASH ... BALLEYHOOOOOOO IT'S ALLLLLL JUST TALK!

elephant talk?

ELEPHANT TALK???

ELEPHANT TALK!?!?!?!?!?!??!

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
A kickass interview with Abe and Chino

Absolutely awesome interview, I watched it yesterday and I went into a Deftones frenzy and I played the whole Koi No Yokan album on my new 8 string! lol :)

But hey... speaking of it, searching for reviews and stuff like that I ended up finding a forum called sharinglungs, a place for Deftones fans and stuff. And since it was an open forum, I started to read several threads about them.

I was shocked that people there hate Koi no Yokan... I mean, I absolutely love this record and I can't seem to stop playing it. In fact, Stephen was a major factor for me to get an 8 string, and I really don't understand the hate this album is getting there. People seem to also hate Diamond Eyes and SNW as well (which I love). In fact, I like these 3 albums more than White Pony, and I'm an old fan... what do you guys think? lol :lol:

revclay

Reaction score
Huh, that is odd that Koi No Yokan gets hate over there. Koi No Yokan is my favorite since White Pony. I also enjoy Diamond Eyes quite a lot but I really never did like Saturday Night Wrist much.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Huh, that is odd that Koi No Yokan gets hate over there. Koi No Yokan is my favorite since White Pony. I also enjoy Diamond Eyes quite a lot but I really never did like Saturday Night Wrist much.

Koi no Yokan is also my favorite since White Pony. I do like SNW, but I understand why people are disappointed with it (lots of producers, not cohesive enough, etc). But DE and KNY are incredible and even DE gets a lot of hate over there...

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
That is surprising. Koi No Yokan is also my favorite since White Pony haha. I don't think they have ever put out a bad album. Saturday Night Wrist took me a bit longer to get into, but there are some great tunes on that record. I've been a fan since Around The Fur came out, and have yet to be disappointed.

MUTANTOID

Reaction score
I agree that Koi No Yokan is pretty awesome.

I haven't looked at Sharinglungs in a good minute, but the last time I was there I remember everyone pissed that each new record didn't sound like White Pony.

I too have been on a Deftones binge the past few days. Last night I found this interview that is both very informative and somewhat awkward.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
That was so awkward :lol: She seems very annoying lol

Good interviews people ! I can't wait til they release Eros. Everytime this thread pops up I get a little glimmer of hope someone is posting somethin they've heard about the Eros record.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score

I haven't looked at Sharinglungs in a good minute, but the last time I was there I remember everyone pissed that each new record didn't sound like White Pony.

I too have been on a Deftones binge the past few days. Last night I found this interview that is both very informative and somewhat awkward.

holy shit... Stef and Chuck Billy are related? Wow... what a family!! :shred:

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score

Perhaps those diehards on the fan forums really don't want the band to progress, which is something people on this forum very much want.

Not trying to create a false dichotomy, but there ya go :idea:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Perhaps those diehards on the fan forums really don't want the band to progress, which is something people on this forum very much want.

Not trying to create a false dichotomy, but there ya go :idea:

I think this is exactly what happens there.

I even saw people suggesting that Stef should ditch the 8 string and go back to 6 string because "he played better that way". I mean... c'mon, wtf?!?! :lol:

')