Deftones Appreciation Thread

Nats

Reaction score
I;ve never heard Abe speak before. Didn't realize his voice was so deep. I never expected that.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

hypotc

Reaction score
Have you guys heard this? Chino sings the chorus!

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Guys, KNY is so good. Seriously.

Like, it's about to break into my top-5 of all time level of awesome. Steph Carpenter is my hero.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
Now, let me say that I do very much like koi no yokan.

But it's definitely not as good as any of their other albums. I basically prefer every single other album they've ever done.

But I love the deftones and koi no yokan gets plenty of playtime. But it just lacks any sort of punch, save like one track. And the vocal melodies don't do much for me. I'm trying to let it grow on me. It's taking its sweet time though.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
But I love the deftones and koi no yokan gets plenty of playtime. But it just lacks any sort of punch, save like one track. And the vocal melodies don't do much for me. I'm trying to let it grow on me. It's taking its sweet time though.

The best records are the ones that take the longest to grow, in my experience.

:agreed:

wankerness

Reaction score
Koi is easily better than SNW and seld titled

Yeah, I don't see how anyone that liked all their previous albums could consider this their worst. A lot of their previous ones are inconsistent as hell.

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
The best records are the ones that take the longest to grow, in my experience.

:agreed:

^I realize this. That's why I'm doing my best to let it grow on me.

And to me, nothing beats s/t. White Pony comes close, but it doesn't bring the heavy ambiance like s/t does. SNW has some killer tracks, but I agree it's pretty inconsistent. But even so I don't find myself endlessly repeating ANY of the tracks on Koi no Yokan like I have on even the less consistent SNW or Diamond Eyes.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
After finally getting my hands on an 8 string I've learned almost every song off of Diamond Eyes. Stef's riffs are so refreshing and just plain fun to play. KNY is next.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
^I realize this. That's why I'm doing my best to let it grow on me.

And to me, nothing beats s/t. White Pony comes close, but it doesn't bring the heavy ambiance like s/t does. SNW has some killer tracks, but I agree it's pretty inconsistent. But even so I don't find myself endlessly repeating ANY of the tracks on Koi no Yokan like I have on even the less consistent SNW or Diamond Eyes.

It's funny how tastes change from person to person, ST is probably my least favorite record (with Adrenaline) from them. I prefer SNW by a large mile and the new ones even more. I actually prefer DE and KNY to White Pony, and I'm a longtime fan! lol :lol:

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
So, I was watching this video of the Deftones, and Chino is playing some vintage SG for Leathers, while Steph is of course rockin out on his 8 string. My immediate reaction-- what the heck is Chino tuned to? Is it seriously possible to tune a SG (which is 24.5" scale) down a whole octave? Because I thought that that song was in drop E... Maybe he slapped a baritone neck on that thing? or he's using some kind of pitch-shifting pedal?

oh, and btw, I've been listening to Koi no Yokan pretty much constantly since my previous posts about it, and I do pretty much like it as much as Diamond Eyes or SNW now.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I'd assume he's simply playing in standard tuning, and just playing the upper register versions of what Stef is doing on his 8. When I record shit in dropped E/F with my baritone, I like to play the same chords on my 6 string SG tuned the same, but an octave up. It's a great way to layer a riff and have some nice contrast between the guitar sounds, and fills the sound out quite a lot.

wankerness

Reaction score
The low chugs on that song sound like a Bb powerchord is stacked on top of a massively palmmuted 000 on a drop E 8 string, making it sound incredibly dissonant. If you listen to it through headphones and try to tab it on guitar there are definitely a low Bb and the fifth and octave above it in that chord.

Given that we know Chino plays a 6 string in drop Bb on Swerve City I'd definitely guess that's what's going on there. They must just both be doing a palm muted 000 powerchord on their guitars, and since they're a flat fifth apart it makes it sound really really raunchy.

The chorus's two low chords are a low Bb and a D powerchord, too.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
yeah, rewatched with headphones on (plus, I've had a rather large coffee and woken up now), and during the bridge (the D-D#
E|-10h11-11-11--11-11--10--10-10-10-10-10-10-10----|) bit, Chino's playing down around the 4th/5th fret on his SG, so the dropped A# tuning makes sense.

')