Deftones Appreciation Thread

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Chino does play Swerve in Drop Bb, and other songs in this same register. Stef plays it in Drop-E and Sergio seems to be playing it in D, the lowest tuning he achieves in that song from what I hear.

He uses Drop-C often, for White Pony stuff, and for some newer stuff as well.

Sergio said in one interview that sometimes all three of them are in different tunings but they all converse somehow, a very interesting dynamic for a band.

I know Sergio uses four tunings C, C#, D and E. Some stuff from Koi no Yokan has the bass in standard doing unison with the Drop E from Stef's guitar, and Chino is often playing clean stuff with his SG in Drop-C or Drop-Bb.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Deftones brought me into 8 string guitars and I'm gonna buy the LTD SC608 just because of Deftones :) Love em

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Deftones brought me into 8 string guitars and I'm gonna buy the LTD SC608 just because of Deftones :) Love em

Even though I didn't get an ESP (I love them but I got a sweet deal on an Ibanez RG8) one of the main reasons I got an 8 string was to play the newer Deftones stuff and open my mind to new ideas. Stef rules.

360-logic

unevenstate
Reaction score
It's great to see a deftones appreciation page as they are one of my favorites too, I like every song on every album. Stef and Tommy Victor have had a great influence on me wanting to play guitar and my overall style. Stefs custom guitars are simply the best in my opinion. I own 2 Stef-6's and have owned all the ltd version at one time or another. yesterday I bought a ESP Stef B7 to replace my previous Stef 7 in green...the Baritone makes a huge difference in the intonation/setup process and I am glad I finally went that route. I will be playing In B a lot more confidently than I have been. The B7 is an amazing instrument. As far as seeing the tones live...I have seen them 10 times, The first time was when they opened up for Pantera and White Zombie in 1996. As with a lot of opening acts I had no idea who they were on paper but they totally blew me away and I have not been the same since. when I am home and want to listen to them I play it all on vinyl to get that warmth and definition they deserve. I dont think I will get to see them this next month when they come around due to the shows being early in the week and a state away...I am ready for #11 tho!

Reaction score
My new favourite thread, dedicated to my favourite band of all time.

Listening to Feiticeira full blast never gets old. Pink Maggit still takes me back to my happiest times. Sorry - I bloody LOVE DEFTONES!

Reaction score
Picked up a SC608 off eBay for £600 - cannot wait for it to arrive. Need to get some riffs learnt incase stef gets a cold...

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Picked up a SC608 off eBay for £600 - cannot wait for it to arrive. Need to get some riffs learnt incase stef gets a cold...

Great, post a NGD thread when you're done so we can see the guitar.

Playing Stef's riffs is really cool. Everytime I get my 8 string I have to play a Deftones riff, it's just so simple and yet so awesome. I love it

flavenstein

Reaction score
I just got rid of my Deftones Vinyl Collection on ebay :(. Hate to see it go. The upshot is there will be a NDD (New drums day?) in the near future...

Meanwhile,

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Hot take:
I think he made perfectly fine music with 6s

Gunch’s official Deftone power ranking

1. White Pony
2. Around the Fur
3. Diamond Eyes
4. Koi no Yokan
5. S/T
6. Saturday Night Wrist
7. Adrenaline
8. Gore

Apex1rg7x

Agent of Chaos
Reaction score
1. Koi No Yokan
2. Around the Fur
3. Self Titled
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Adrenaline
6. White Pony
7. Gore
8. SNW

wankerness

Reaction score
1. White Pony
2. Koi No Yokan
3. Saturday Night Wrist
4. Diamond Eyes
5. Adrenaline
6. Around the Fur
7. S/T
8. Gore

The last few on my list have a couple bangers on them but I never feel like listening to most of the tracks. :p Adrenaline's entire second half is great but I really don't like the first 5 tracks. SNW and Diamond Eyes are probably about 60/40 good to bad. White Pony and Koi No Yokan are the only two that I can listen to all the way through every single time. I like that they take a lot of chances on everything since AtF, but boy does it result in their albums being hit and miss track to track.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
The last few on my list have a couple bangers on them but I never feel like listening to most of the tracks. :p Adrenaline's entire second half is great but I really don't like the first 5 tracks. SNW and Diamond Eyes are probably about 60/40 good to bad. White Pony and Koi No Yokan are the only two that I can listen to all the way through every single time. I like that they take a lot of chances on everything since AtF, but boy does it result in their albums being hit and miss track to track.

Totally agree about White Pony and Koi No Yokan. I would add Around The Fur to that list of albums that I can listen to all the way through. The rest have their bangers for sure.

My list would be:

1 - White Pony
2 - Koi No Yokan
3 - Around The Fur
4 - Diamond Eyes
5 - Saturday Night Wrist
6 - Self Titled
7 - Adrenaline

8 - Gore

')