Deftones Appreciation Thread

trianglebutt

trianglebutt
Reaction score
I really like Bored and Minus Blindfold from Adrenaline, it's definitely a strange album though.

I agree about the self-titled, although I would also say that Minerva is an incredible song. The chorus gives me fucking chills every time.

Around The Fur is similar to the self-titled for me, I only really listen to My Own Summer and the title track. I probably just need to listen to it a few more times, maybe it'll click.

Also despite a lot of people disliking it, this rules:

Chino is welcome to come fuck up my school anytime.

This is hilarious, and DAT DRUM BEAT:

I remember finding a series of videos that were just funny Chino moments compiled together, I'll have to dig them up haha.
EDIT:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
Inb4 BrainArt

Also, Deftones are fucking awesome.

If they had any other vocalist their music would just not work.

This man knows me well. :wub:

<-------- That is all I need to say. :yesway:

I can tell you every tuning Stef has ever used on each album, as some people have learned on here. :lol:

Bloody_Inferno

Silence is Violence
Reaction score

Having Maynard James Keenan on this track is icing on the cake.

Great band, my first band was with a bunch of Deftones/Tool freaks it was definitely a big influence.

Reaction score
I fucking love the Deftones! One of my favorite bands for years. Glad to see an appreciation thread for them.

I remember seeing the video for "My Own Summer" when I was a kid and thought it looked and sounded awesome. And it always stuck with me. Fast forward until now and they are still one of my favorite bands. Always unique and original to me.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Haven't heard much from them, but goddamn, SC has a custom collection that would make Dino Cazares blush.

stef.jpg

Somnium

DEATHGRIPPIN
Reaction score
Thuh Land of Ooo, where fake niggas don't make it
Wow, never knew Maynard guested on one of their songs. The Deftones for me are the one band from my childhood that I still love the fuck out of, well besides Sepultura I guess. Oh the memories of playing American Wasteland with Around the Fur as the soundtrack haha.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I just discovered this. I seriously can't believe I'm hearing this from Chino and Co. A Lynyrd Skynryd cover. I..

:bowdown:

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Absolutely love Deftones. I, like many people, had pretty much given up hope for them with S/T and SNW. It was just obvious on those albums (and confirmed in interviews since) that they were not functioning well as a band on those albums. It's a shame that it took Chi's accident to get them to really reconnect, but, man, have they fucking come back with a vengeance. DE is an absolutely amazing album, and, having seen them live numerous times through the years (being in their hometown) they've been infinitely better the last couple times I've seen them live than ever before.

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
My favorite band! I have the red and blue roses from the self titled album art incorporated into my right sleeve!

20pzybs.jpg

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
My favorite band! I have the red and blue roses from the self titled album art incorporated into my right sleeve!

Alex, this actually brings up an interesting question that I haven't really had an opportunity to ask you before, and I've been especially wondering about while listening to the new album:

Obviously, the stuff Whitechapel does is very different from what the Deftones do. Do you feel that they had an influence on your playing? Or does that not enter into it and they're just your favorite band?

AlexWadeWC

Reaction score
Alex, this actually brings up an interesting question that I haven't really had an opportunity to ask you before, and I've been especially wondering about while listening to the new album:

Obviously, the stuff Whitechapel does is very different from what the Deftones do. Do you feel that they had an influence on your playing? Or does that not enter into it and they're just your favorite band?

Deftones are a huge influence on my writing in Whitechapel. A lot of the reason we like to added a lot of atmosphere to our brand of metal is because of the Deftones influence. Plus they have that captivating groove that we try to emulate in some of our slower songs.

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
I had my parents buy me White Pony back when it came out and I remember being awesome, but somehow beyond my 13 mind. I just put it on in the first time and years and it's like something unlocked in my mind which brings the album to life.

:bowdown:

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score

20pzybs.jpg

Would love to see a close up of those tat's. I've always wanted to get some of there artwork tatted but it would have to be something obscure, not necessarily something as obvious as let's say there band name or like the pony from the white pony album.
By the way, new Whitechapel, fucking crushing album. Outstanding work you did there.

Last edited:

jjfiegel

Reaction score
One of the best things I've seen live was Greg P of Dillinger do Maynard's lines in Passenger. That was so awesome.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
I'm in. Deftones have been my favorite band - bar none - for the better part of 2 decades, now. Every time I think they've peaked, they put out a new record that surpasses my expectations.

Still fucking gutted over Chi, though. :(

Decipher

Ibanez Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another long-time er I mean life-time fan here! I'll never forget the first time I heard 'Bored' and then when I saw the video for 'My Own Summer' I knew then that I had to learn the electric guitar. 'My Own Summer' was the first song I ever learned. My last band even covered 'Korea' for fun.

I love everything they've put out and always eagerly anticipate the next.

')