Deftones Appreciation Thread

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
My take so far: KNY isn't quite as good as DE, but it's still a great album. Definitely not just more of the same thing they did on DE.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sikthness

Reaction score
My take so far: KNY isn't quite as good as DE, but it's still a great album. Definitely not just more of the same thing they did on DE.

Yeah I'd agree, as for first impressions. I love Diamond Eyes though, and think every song on it is great, and thats a rarity for me. KNY doesnt start off very strong, but there are plenty of really good songs. Gauze, Leathers, and Tempest are really good. Poltergeist is good. Rosemary is awesome, I love their slower, moodier songs.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
I think I'm going to have to give this a few more listens before I can make up my mind but as you said, it is a completely different album. I guess thats the Deftones for you though, every album, for me any way, has been completely different then the previous.

Doug N

Reaction score
I like every Deftones album the moment I hear it, but I don't love them until I've listened five or six times.

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
i like it when they show their softer side. whole album is fucking fantastic. you cannot beat the hooks in romantic dreams and entombed. my favorite at the moment is probably rosemary or poltergeist

wankerness

Reaction score
Now I'm pissed I preordered it, cause I feel like if I listen to the stream I'll be cheapening the experience of getting it! :ugh:

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
damn! the new album sounds great!! only listened to half of the songs, but i loved all of them! IM SOLD! A lot more chilled this album, still heavy, but got that cool chilled deftones groove..chino's voice sounds great in this one, the vocal effects used really add to the songs :)

Mexi

Reaction score
chino's range this time around is stellar. the man still has his chops, which cannot be said of most bands that have been popular since the mid/late 90s

JeffFromMtl

Уродливый, но честны
Reaction score
This album sounds like Stef is having the time of his life, but the thing I remarked on just a few tracks in is that this is easily Abe's best performance to date. Just damn... And I think the producer noticed that too, because his drum sound is just so massive and present.

It's a slightly different Deftones, with a bit more of a "fun" vibe to it than they've had in the past, but still with heavy-as-hell moments and those lush, dreamy textures and soundscapes I've always loved. And when I heard that main riff in "Gauze", I couldn't help but think "damn, that's the riff Stef's been aching to put on an album since he started playing an 8 string". Through my second listen, I'm loving this album every bit as much as everything else they've released.

CM_X5

Reaction score
Now I'm pissed I preordered it, cause I feel like if I listen to the stream I'll be cheapening the experience of getting it! :ugh:

That's why I'm just gonna wait. If it doesn't get in my mailbox on the 13th then I still have the digital version they are supposed to send out. I can wait a few days.

gunch

goof-ass
Reaction score
Oh my god was there seriously a person shittalking White Pony in this thread?

HeresyStamp.png

New album is good so far BTW
Edit
Poltergeist =:hbang::hbang::hbang:

NickS

New solution, problem changed
Reaction score
That was my immediate reaction as well. Trying to claim you like this band and then saying "the entirety of White Pony and Diamond Eyes" are their worst albums is ridiculous. I don't really like Periphery, mostly because of their singer. I have immense amounts of respect for them, but I'm not going to go to the Periphery thread and say that. That is just needlessly trying to start shit.

bigredmetfan

Reaction score
I bought the cassette at there
Show in vancouver that has the singles rosemary and leathers on it (yes I have a tape player in my car :) and it came with a digital download of the album on iTunes (plus I am gonna buy there record....i don't know why but I like having the physical album as well :)

simonXsludge

(((Ω)))
Reaction score
I think Koi No Yokan is so much better than Diamond Eyes. It was lacking substance and depth and I played the hell out of it without ever getting that special Deftones feeling, apart from the title track, Sextape and 976-EVIL, while the rest was somewhere between solid and filler.

Koi No Yokan has about 3 songs that don't blow me away while I absolutely LOVE the rest. I genuinely think it's among their best and up there with White Pony.

matt397

Tr00f
Reaction score
That's pretty much exactly how I feel. Though I have to say that there are tracks on Diamond Eyes that have to be heard live to appreciate the atmosphere that it creates like Butcher and

Risk.

Koi definitely has tracks that don't blow me away but as a whole it is more then just a solid album.

I put it up there above SNW, S/T and Adrenaline.

Gitte

Reaction score
Deftones always blows me away...

Koi No Yokan for me is the overall perfection!

"Poltergeist" and "Entombed" are the perfet examples of how flexible and awesome in terms of songwriting and sound this band is!

')