Deftones Appreciation Thread

revclay

Reaction score
I've listened to this a couple of times now the whole way through and I am really impressed. They've really matured as songwriters and while the songs are quite varied, they share a sort of ambience or texture that makes everything feel like one cohesive idea. So far, I think Leathers and Entombed are my favorites, with some Gauze and Rosemary thrown in for good measure. This is my favorite of theirs since White Pony. We'll have to see through repeated listens how it measures up to WP.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sol niger 333

I like stuff
Reaction score
Graphic Nature, Entombed and Romantic Dreams are doing it for me in a big way.. Diamond Eyes was much more of a shower, this one is a grower. Definitely needs a sink in period

Tang

Master of Chihuahuas
Reaction score
Eh. I like Meshuggah. I was just poking a bit of fun.

For the record, I assumed you were having a good-natured laugh.

Zcz4a.gif

Also for the record, this album blew me away. I have no idea what just hit me.

wankerness

Reaction score
This album is making me glad I bought an 8 string. I might have to tab a couple of these (and then get hate mail on UG from people who want it in GP5 format).

philkilla

Baritone Maniac
Contributor
Reaction score
Here's my appreciation of their new album:

wankerness

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything about what guitars/tunings they used on which songs? A couple of them (swerve city and entombed, iirc) seem to be in Bb, with most of the others in what seems like Drop E on an 8 string.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
New album gets at least an 8/10 from me, and that's after only a few listens. These guys have still got it for sure. :hbang:

Reaction score
Has anyone seen anything about what guitars/tunings they used on which songs? A couple of them (swerve city and entombed, iirc) seem to be in Bb, with most of the others in what seems like Drop E on an 8 string.

I was wondering about this too. The 8 string songs sound different so I think different guitars were used, along with a different tuning.

Maybe he found a use for all of those 7 strings. :lol:

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Been listening to this since I got it last week, probably 5 or 6 times through now... all I have to say is DAAAAAAMMNN!! :eek:

Actually, it's taken me a few listens to find the groove, as it were. I don't know if I'd call it the White Pony to Diamond Eyes' Around the Fur, but it's definitely a deeper exploration of their sound. Very thick and layered, and yet each member is easily distinguished. No question I'm loving it as much!

It occurred to me, Nick R. produced both the last two Deftones recordings, and the last two Rush records as well. There's a definite link from one to the next, Abe's drums have the same kind of sound to them (or around them) that Neil's do on Clockwork Angels, and it definitely sounds like Nick told Abe "okay, we have a perfect take, no let's do one more and just go for it!" like he did Neil on Snakes and Arrows. I'm getting as interested in what Nick will produce next as what my favorite bands will release next! :lol:

Oh: anyone have a list yet of tunings for KNY? Poltergeist is drop-E, apparently, are they all?

skisgaar

Master-debatur
Reaction score
My god...I know what you people feel now...I got Koi No Yokan 2 days ago....and it's amazing....

wankerness

Reaction score
Oh: anyone have a list yet of tunings for KNY? Poltergeist is drop-E, apparently, are they all?

The majority of them are in Drop E, I think there are about 3 that seem to be in a higher tuning (Swerve City and entombed are the two I can remember never go below low Bb - I think leathers may also be like that). I'll make a list of what I've figured out tonight. The fact that chino apparently plays a downtuned six string on many songs confuses matters.

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
It's almost hard to believe they've put out 2 amazing albums back to back, all without Chi. My hat is off to Sergio Vega for doing such an amazing job filling Chi's shoes, and the band for being able to carry on so admirably without Chi in the first place.

Loving the new record. Can't decide (yet) where I rank it among the rest of their discography, but it's close to the top already. It never ceases to amaze me how they manage to keep living up to - and often exceed - their previous standards.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
The majority of them are in Drop E, I think there are about 3 that seem to be in a higher tuning (Swerve City and entombed are the two I can remember never go below low Bb - I think leathers may also be like that). I'll make a list of what I've figured out tonight. The fact that chino apparently plays a downtuned six string on many songs confuses matters.

I have a hard time telling what's Chino and what's Frank, sometimes, or even what's Stef... there's one tune (can't remember which, now) where Sergio's bass has some massive overdrive going on, and it took me a while to realize that wasn't he and Stef doubling!

')