Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
I really dig the S/T album, it has some of my favorite Deftones songs, like Hexagram, When Girls Telephone Boys and Bloody Cape. Like someone already said, they were very disconnected at the time and Chino said they were doing just what they had to do to get by ( he says it in the video I posted around twenty one minutes in). They also went into the writing process the same way they did with White Pony, writing whenever they felt like it and that process just didn't work on the S/T album. I still love the album, but I can see why others wouldn't.

Hexagram and Bloody Cape have two of my very favorite verses on any Deftones song, they're right up there with Be Quiet and Drive. Unfortunately, they're both essentially two-riff songs, and the second riffs aren't very good! It's like they came up with some incredible verse and were like "this is awesome, this will be just like Knife Prty!" Hexagram's intro and the way it then turns into distortion gives me chills every time, as do the high screeches at the end of each verse, it's just gorgeous. Then it just turns into a boring chuggy stop-start riff for a chorus, and just repeats till the end. The verse is so damn good I still love the song, but it's such wasted potential when you compare it to something with a similarly incredibly intro/verse like Knife Prty.

Bloody Cape is almost the same, again we have a great riff played clean, transitions to distortion and the band comes in, I get tons of chills, then we get a really heavy powerchord smash riff (it's better in this case at least), and then it just repeats these two sections to the end. :wallbash:

Neither of these songs even have a bridge! It just basically sticks the clean intro back in where the bridge would normally be on both songs! They feel SO undercooked and with how incredible what made it to the recording is it's really disappointing they didn't spend more time writing the album.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Tentative release dates announced for new album and UK tour announcements.

'Tentative release date Monday 21st September (UK) / Tuesday 22nd September (US)

NB. Although this is likely to change as worldwide release day changing to Friday from July.

(Source was a little Chino interview on Radio 1 Rock Show last night when the London Wembley Arena show was also announced).'

Papa Roach's Infest and Deftones Announcement

BBC Radio 1 - Rock Show with Daniel P Carter, Papa Roach's Infest and Deftones Announcement

Jerry and Jacoby from Papa Roach join Dan 15 years on from the release of Infest. Chino from the Deftones announces the band's return to the UK this November. Our Rockest Record was an exclusive track from Black Peaks called ‘Crooks’. And we had exclusives from In Hearts Wake, and Anti-Flag.

New Tour Dates

November 15- Paris, France @ Bataclan*
November 18- Berlin, Germany @ Columbiahalle**
November 19- Cologne, Germany @ Koln Palladium**
November 21- London, United Kingdom @ The SSE Arena Wembley***
*On Sale April 28 @ 9:00AM GMT
** On Sale April 29 @ 9:00AM GMT
***On Sale May 1 @ 9:00AM GMT

kevdes93

Sassy
Reaction score
Self titled might be my second favorite behind DE. Battle axe is my favorite deftones song of all time

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
Neither of these songs even have a bridge! It just basically sticks the clean intro back in where the bridge would normally be on both songs! They feel SO undercooked and with how incredible what made it to the recording is it's really disappointing they didn't spend more time writing the album.

From the AP article:
Chino said:
"It's coming out really good," says Moreno of the LP. "It's just another Deftones record. And I feel like it's us reaching a little bit, getting more into the song structures and trying to challenge ourselves a little bit, you know what I mean? It's sounding good. I think it's gonna' be a great record."

(emphasis added)

wankerness

Reaction score
I was just talking about the S/T, I have no problem with the song structures on their last few. Still good news of course.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
11178205_10153328598407491_3020246281737897838_n.jpg

Old school picture of Deftones and Robert Smith... Pic was posted on Facebook today. Its purely wishful thinking on my part, but I hope this is a foreshadow that he'll be featured on the new record.

Rev2010

Contributor
Reaction score
Then it just turns into a boring chuggy stop-start riff for a chorus, and just repeats till the end.

Neither of these songs even have a bridge! It just basically sticks the clean intro back in where the bridge would normally be on both songs!

This is why I no longer listen to the Deftones, I just can't take it. I used to love them and their earlier stuff but Diamond Eyes was it for me. These days I just can't tolerate copy/paste copy/paste copy/paste -> next song. Once I hear the first verse and chorus I've heard the WHOLE song so why keep listening? Same goes for In This Moment. I bought Blood after a short listen and dug it. One week later I couldn't stand it anymore. The most blatant use of copy/paste of each part and you could hear even the vocals were reused as there is zero variance in the singing between each verse/chorus.

Don't get me wrong, I don't hate all music with repeated verses/choruses, it's a common structure, but at least play/sing the part anew so it's a little more organic then reusing the exact same recorded parts just copied and pasted. Also, is it that hard to simply make the third chorus something new or different than the others? I do it all the time. The song in my sig has three different choruses.

Rev.

wankerness

Reaction score
I don't think Koi No Yokan suffers from the copy/paste problem you mention, plenty of the songs continue to develop through the whole thing and some of the songs like "Rosemary" or "Romantic Dreams" have more sections than I think any of their earlier stuff ever did. "Entombed" is one of the most repetitive structurally but they keep adding layers throughout it and it's gorgeous. Only a couple of the short ones are really repetitive (Poltergeist, Swerve City), but even they have more than two riffs unlike some of the songs on the S/T. Listen to something like "Gauze," it's short and heavy but goes all over the place.

I've never really listened much to Diamond Eyes. I remember some of the songs on it vaguely, and don't remember thinking it was a 2-riff song album like the S/T, but maybe you're right about copy-pasting?!

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I think that's part of what I like about Deftones, it's a nice departure from other stuff I listen to in technical and progressive metal where it seems like they have to try really hard to not repeat a riff more than once.

I can understand why it could get stale or boring if you're not big on the riffs or verses/choruses in the song, though.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
The riffs are so good. Honestly, I've never felt that they were actually copying and pasting parts.

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
The riffs are so good. Honestly, I've never felt that they were actually copying and pasting parts.

People forget Chino has been co-writing guitar and plays/sings live. There's an interview with Stef where he talks about how during the writing process they'll have to change the song structure to accommodate Chino's vocals/lyrics. They also tend to take their sweet time in the studio so I'm excited to hear what's next. Its all preference though I mean some people don't even like this kind of music at all but even if it is considered repetitive = still some of the best sounding repetitive and simple riffs that I have heard.

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
Obviously not to say he assumed control of all guitar duties, but he is responsible for writing a decent amount of content...Even for the self-titled. Stephen was definitely used to being the only guitarist for a while though, and he was pretty stand offish towards the change initially. A lot of bands butt heads and eventually there's a compromise in which the entire band agrees on. I mean they all still voluntarily went into a studio together. Imo the slower/repetitive parts add a shoegazing texture to songs but I can see how that would become stale or not appeal to everyone.

tallikaz

Reaction score
Simple riffs and repetitions are part of the charm of Deftones

')