Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
You should keep in mind they always have albums with a large variety of song types.

On their last album, "Swerve City", "Poltergeist" and "Entombed" are all so different.

This song seems more vocal based like Entombed, Stef does use a "mellow" high gain that is smoother for these songs and it seems to be designed not to cut in as much.

Oh definitely. I really love all of those songs, this new one just didn't jump out at me. Maybe it will after a few spins though. Definitely stoked that he's using a 7 too.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

esphil

Reaction score
Oh man love the new song, what effect do you think they use for the clean guitar? I love it.

bigboy

Reaction score
Big fan here, lost for words to describe my passion for them.ummm yea I just got a 7 string I ordered so I assume I'll play some deftones for sure. I was asked at a new years eve party what is your favorite band?? U know I said deftones lol.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Loving the new song so much. Amazing band!!

As for the effect used in the verse, sounds like delay, chorus and a tremolo.That'd be my first way of trying to replicate that lol Sounds trippy as though, love it!

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
That interview brings up an interesting possibility that I've heard mentioned before. Can the band exist without Stef? He sounds unhappy, there's definitely been a strong bleedover from Chino's other major passions, but not as much of Stef's.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Ehhhhhh

This sounds like things we've heard from both him and Chino about each other numerous times before. I mean... sure, there's always the possibility of a "last straw," but I sure hope not, and I hope they both realize that the tug of war between them is part of what makes Deftones so great. I kind of hoped that Chi's passing had finally solidified them in spite of their differences.

wankerness

Reaction score
Someone paste that article so I don't have to click on their clickbait! :rofl: I'm guessing it's something like "Stephen Carpenter said something very vaguely critical of the recording process of the new record once, and we took it out of context and blew it up to try and get them clickz!!"

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Someone paste that article so I don't have to click on their clickbait! :rofl: I'm guessing it's something like "Stephen Carpenter said something very vaguely critical of the recording process of the new record once, and we took it out of context and blew it up to try and get them clickz!!"

Are there any songs or guitar parts on the new record that you're really proud of or really excited for the fans to hear?

Oh god. I think my proudest thing about my guitar playing on this record is just playing on the record because I didn't want to play on the record to begin with. It wasn't until way later once I actually got into it. I look at all the songs on the record and they were all a challenge for me to get in to.

What do you think that barrier was for you?

I don't know. I just really like metal and I love all the metal that's being played now. I wish everybody would stop saying "djent" though. That's just dumb. It's just metal.

I still don't know what the .... that is.

I thoroughly can get djent, I even have great appreciation for the bands, and I mean Meshuggah is one of my favorite bands. But it's just not a genre. It's just metal.

So, you were saying earlier that you were having a hard time getting into playing on this new album. Why do you think that was?

When we were coming up with ideas and writing the songs, the stuff that was being written, you know, the other guys' ideas, I wasn't too interested in it. It wasn't the style or the sound I was hoping we would take. It wasn't what I was expecting or wanting.

That says a lot about you seeing yourself as part of a band and going in the direction of the band. Its unselfish.

Yeah I hear ya. My band is going one direction and I am going another one currently.

Do you think that will result in some more side projects or solo albums?

Well I have another side project going with my friend in England, Sol Invicto. We've got some songs done over the past decade, hardly enough to count it as a full on band. But that's mostly on me because I haven't been able to contribute very much. My friends in my band would probably say the same thing. It's just that life thing that's always going on. Time and life, that's the way it goes. I've also got ideas for my own personal solo stuff. I've got another thing I'm going to start with a friend of mine. So there's definitely going to be other stuff, no doubt about that.

That's not saying that you're going to leave the Deftones, is it?

I would never leave the band that I started but the band started leaving me, I can't control that.

That's a democratic way to look at it, really.

I mean, I have a great time for the most part. This record has been a struggle and we have got issues that I do not want to leave home but how things will be in the future, I do not know. But I know what I will do and what I will not do and there are some things that I will not do in the future because I just don't agree with it.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score

It wasn't that vague (at least as far as these things go), which is the part that concerns me.

Kobalt

Reaction score
Part of what makes Deftones awesome is the plethora of styles and emotions they put into their music. I understand Stef might not like the less metal approach, but he's good at it nonetheless.

I'll wait until the record comes out to judge, but it sounds like the rest of the band maybe decided to go in a more radio friendly approach?

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Something I really loved about Diamond Eyes was how often there were very clear 'This is an 8 string guitar' moments. The most recent album didn't have a lot of that, and this new song sounds like it could basically just be Chino playing guitar. I dunno, I love the new song, but I really hope that Stef has some pretty obvious parts on the rest of the album. It'd be a shame if they didn't leave any room for the guy.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Steph and Chino have always butted heads - that goes way back. :shrug:

Check out Chino tearing up Toxicitiy last September! :bowdown:

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Didn't Steph win a car accident settlement and basically use that money to fund the band's early days?

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
Didn't Steph win a car accident settlement and basically use that money to fund the band's early days?

From a strictly financial standpoint, I'd say he's seen a decent return on his investment by now.

It wouldn't be fair to his bandmates, but maybe he needs to leave long enough to figure out that the grass isn't any greener on the other side. Either that or get off his ass and start a serious side project to "scratch that metal itch".

Just sayin'.

')