Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about Stef.

He and Chino have always fought over the direction of the band. White Pony was the point when they fought the most, and they ended up giving us a masterpiece. This clash of views is what sets them apart. Stef may be complaining but I know that this new record is going to be incredible. This tension is good.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DeadPool2099

Reaction score
I can't wait to listen to Gore all the way through. I've been a Deftones fan ever since 97. I remember going to my local mall and getting "Around the Fur" on cassette tape and loving it. I saw the Deftones in concert only once in Denver back in 2000. It was during their White Pony tour. The Concert rocked but Chinos live voice was kind of well meh.

I can't wait to hear the new album, since its supposed to have 8-string guitar. Chinos guitar, and Sergio playing a Fender Bass VI. I can kinda hear the bass on "Prayers/Triangles." I am also waiting for Eros to be released.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Seriously?

Damn... the Deftones are always making me pursue new instruments. I love the idea of having a Bass VI and I never knew Sergio was playing one. The Deftones were instrumental on my decision to go 8 string, maybe I'll have to buy one of these basses as well... lol :lol:

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm surprised at this point Stef doesn't have some type of Meshuggah-esque side project for his Metal outlet.

gogolXmogol

Reaction score
I hope Stef will be able to influence the band development and contribute his part in full. He is truly an inspirational musician with outstanding ideas.

wankerness

Reaction score
Has he ever shown any aptitude for Meshuggah-style stuff? I can't think of a single Deftones song with a remotely difficult guitar part. I know he is a big Meshuggah fan, but has he ever played anything technical?

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Rats! Rats! Rats! from Saturday Night Wrist is one of the most metal songs they ever put out and it has some fast parts. I think he was inspired by Meshuggah on that track.

DeadPool2099

Reaction score
Have you guys listened to Kush? That was kinda of a rap metal out let for Stephen with the former drummer Raymond and bassist Christian from Fear Factory. And B-real the vocalist from Cypress hill. Its too bad they never really released anything, except the tracks you can find on their myspace and youtube.

I think what makes Deftones Unique is using metal as the main ingredient but also using all these other genres of music. I wouldn't really be interested in them if they just full out Death Metal or something. Which don't get me wrong I love Death Metal. I just think the deftones have something unique. And I don't care what direction they go I will I will always listen to them. Let them experiment!.

Yeah it would interesting to hear Stephen in his own solo project. Without the restrictions of the Deftones.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
From Facebook - new video?

12795531_10154044181167491_16150758921085542_n.jpg

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Downside of living in their hometown: they haven't prioritized setting dates in the area for years.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
Doomed User sounds pretty cool from what I can hear, but I'm sitting in a Starbucks with crappy wifi so I'll give it a proper listen when I get home.

wankerness

Reaction score
What's the big deal about a Bass VI? Looking at the list of recordings it appeared on, it seems like it just sounds like a regular electric bass and that no one ever uses the top two strings.

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
My guess would be that the tighter string spacing would let him do some nice big chords to really thicken up some of his parts.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
It does look like he's playing chords in some parts.

On top of that, the pickups and shorter scale length give it a more unique tone compared to a standard bass.

')