Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Bass chords tend to sound like muddy garbage, even with a really trebly setup. Glassjaw's EYEWTKAS is one of the few cases where I think consistent bass chords worked. I'll be curious to hear it, though. If this thing has single coil pickups I'm guessing it does sound pretty odd.

I'll remain interested mostly because of the history of bass in the earlier Deftones albums. I know in the past the rather subtle use of fretless bass added quite a bit to White Pony, even though he was never doing high slides like most people do to accentuate the fact that's what they're using. The new guy is obviously not Chi, but hey. Despite the usually very subtle presence of bass in their music, it sometimes ends up being cool!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
He loves MBV so maybe for Kevin Shields' type of tremelo arm use, I also disagree about bass chords.

wankerness

Reaction score
He love MBV so maybe for Kevin Shields' type of tremelo arm use, I also disagree about bass chords.

What is an example of chordal bass playing on a distorted guitar song that you think sounds good?

wankerness

Reaction score
Several Iron Maiden songs come to mind.

Hmm, never listened to them.* Isn't it mostly high single-note guitar counterpoint kind of riffs so the bass has tons of room to breathe, or do they do a fair amount of low powerchord chuggy stuff too? I guess I'm specifically thinking in the context of the downtuned powerchord kind of context that makes up so much of the Deftones' catalog, or other more "heavy" stuff. Maybe Iron Maiden fits part of that bill!

*I heard The Trooper and Run To The Hills once or twice many years ago.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
Hmm, never listened to them.* Isn't it mostly high single-note guitar counterpoint kind of riffs so the bass has tons of room to breathe, or do they do a fair amount of low powerchord chuggy stuff too? I guess I'm specifically thinking in the context of the downtuned powerchord kind of context that makes up so much of the Deftones' catalog, or other more "heavy" stuff. Maybe Iron Maiden fits part of that bill!

*I heard The Trooper and Run To The Hills once or twice many years ago.

Fear of the Dark is a good example, it has several bass chords and they sound sweet. Another band that uses chords extensively on bass is Rush.

I'm really, really considering acquiring a Bass IV, even the Squier version, because I have a regular 5 string bass but I would love to fiddle with this little hybrid that I consider to be one intriguing instrument for those who love bass and guitar :)

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
Doomed User now has its time available to see on iTunes like Prayers/Triangles, do you think that could be the next single?

wankerness

Reaction score
NO ME GUSTA. The verse, prechorus and chorus all sound like totally different songs and the verse/prechorus riffs seem like something I'd have slapped together during a high school jam session. We have CLUNKY HEAVY RIFF, some kind of simplistic thrash riff (which I kind of like), and then the happy powerchord chorus. It just doesn't hold together for me at all and I think it's easily worse than anything on the last two albums. Down there with "Headup" for me! I've listened to it three times now and ugh. Who knows, though, maybe this is the worst song on the album and seemed like the best single. I wasn't that big of a fan of Rocket Skates compared to the rest of that album (though that song was way better than this one).

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Just came here to make a thread for Doomed user. I really dig this track, it's a good blend of stuff.

oc616

Control Deck Wins
Reaction score
Sounds like a cross between Diamond Eyes and Hexagram. I like.

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
NO ME GUSTA. The verse, prechorus and chorus all sound like totally different songs and the verse/prechorus riffs seem like something I'd have slapped together during a high school jam session. We have CLUNKY HEAVY RIFF, some kind of simplistic thrash riff (which I kind of like), and then the happy powerchord chorus. It just doesn't hold together for me at all and I think it's easily worse than anything on the last two albums. Down there with "Headup" for me! I've listened to it three times now and ugh. Who knows, though, maybe this is the worst song on the album and seemed like the best single. I wasn't that big of a fan of Rocket Skates compared to the rest of that album (though that song was way better than this one).

Totally the opposite for me... I'm listening to it for the 5th time in a row and all I can think is "instant classic" :lol:

The simplistic thrash riff is what I like the most, because it's not what I expect from the Deftones these days, I like the fact that it's a riff with high notes that's intercalated with a low-ass riff, it's like this song suffers from a jekkyl/hyde complex :hbang:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Eh, it's ok. I don't really think the vocals fit the riffs in the verse. I'll have to give it a few more listens I guess.

extendedsolo

Reaction score
I like the new track. Deftones have always been really good at tension and resolution. The verse builds the tension and kinda sounds out of place, but then the chorus really resolves into something a lot easier on the ears.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
Sounds like a combination of old school and new school Deftones. Production of their new stuff with an arrangement that would have fit perfectly on Adrenaline.

')