Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Noisy Humbucker

Only obsesses over guitars when not playing them.
Reaction score
My buddy took me to see them for my birthday after Diamond Eyes came out. He was never big into them but he left a believer, great show.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ibanezsam4

Reaction score
i saw them with Mastodon and AiC several years ago. Chino had a good buzz going and it rocked.

i also got a wicked contact high and had a panic attack and thought i was going to die..... then i noticed the light show was really awesome

bhakan

Reaction score
I feel like a lot of times videos of live shows don't do them justice. When the energy is high at a show and the band is super into it and jumping around and the audience is screaming lyrics the band is normally a little worse sounding, but the show is a lot more fun. Obviously ideally a band would be able to do both, but when you're actually there I don't feel like you notice it as much.

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
I'm missing their show with Cult Leader tonight and I'm super bummed about it. :(

wankerness

Reaction score
Does anyone else think that Deftones is a really mediocre live band? I really love their music, but I can't get past what they yield live on a stage.

A couple of quick examples:

Do I not just "get it" or do you agree?

They've always been bad live. I remember being absolutely shocked at how bad "Be Quiet and Drive" sounded live even back when I was an undiscerning kiddie circa 2000. The guitar work was always sloppy and any clean vocals were incredibly out of tune and out of breath. It was still fun to see them, but yeah...

Slunk Dragon

Gear Nerder
Reaction score
I agree with feeling they aren't the best, live. I saw them a few years back, and it just felt like a whole lot of... unappealing noise.

Though the sound went out, halfway through their set. Me and my brother are sitting a good few thousand feet away from the stage, at least, and we just hear Chino BELT out this really impressive scream.

Definitely been loving the hell out of them the past few years though. Still have lots of respect for them and what they do.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I saw them on the BlackDiamondSkye tour. They were OK, but far from the tightest live act. And yeah, Chino was easily the weakest link. He broke into screams in a few inappropriate places; as a result, my friend started calling them "Tonedeafs." :lol:

lucasreis

ERG Ambassador
Reaction score
I think the band sounds spot on most of the time. Saw them two times. Chino isos hit or miss. One of the shows he wasn't that good and the other he nailed it, even singing maynards parts on Passenger perfectly.

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm glad they were tight when I saw them last summer. I was a bit worried since I've heard some of the stories but any mistakes they made were minimal and they absolutely killed it.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
Yeah when I saw them in 2013 they killed it, Chino was spot on and had A LOT of energy. Seriously, he was running all over the stage and still preformed well. A friend of mine saw them in Texas two days before and said Chino was super drunk and didn't preform well so I guess I got lucky.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
I've seen em live a few time and they've been good. Though, i've seen some live footage and Chino has been absolutely terrible...

I personally think he could go some proper singing lessons, he's got the range and voice, but he needs to learn how to utilize it to its best.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
I just started listening, and it sounds like this is actually taken from the interview Carter did with Chino on the Someone Who Isn't Me podcast, which is much more in depth.
It could be, I haven't listened to the other podcast so I'll check it out if I can!

"Phantom Bride" is officially one of my favorite Deftones songs ever!
Everyone has been saying that Phantom Bride is mind-blowing, I'm definitely psyched to hear it!

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
Hearts/Wires is in my opinion, the best song out of the 3 they've released. I haven't heard the rest of the album though.

')