Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
The 8th is gonna be a good day for sure. I'll be listening to this album on my way to see Vai and Tosin :hbang:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
I haven't listened to the leak (and probably won't TBH), but the 3 official releases have me excited.

Prayers/Triangles was pretty damn good I'd say. Probably not as good an opener as Diamond Eyes, but still like an 8/10 anyway.
Doomed User was one that I was lukewarm on at first, but it's really grown on me despite being a weird stylistic mishmash. It's actually my favorite of the three at this point.
Hearts/Wires wasn't amazing the first time through, but I did enjoy it and think I could grow to like it a lot in time.

The fact that this is releasing on the same day as an Ihsahn album is just nuts. April 8th will probably be my favorite musical day of this year unless someone else really steps it up.

Randy

✝✝✝
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just finished (legally) listening to the whole thing.

I thought the whole album was very cohesive, concept album-like. I'm still used to listening to the first two singles, so of course those are going to stand out to me more, but objectively... my two "favorite" tracks were Hearts/Wires and Phantom Bride.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
This is a really strong album; I think it's as good as Diamond Eyes anyway. Time will tell if it can match KNY. I am pleased.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to make of it so far, I really do want to like but it's not clicking for. Right now I would probably rank the albums, from worst to best:
SNW
Gore
Adrenaline
KNY
Diamond Eyes
White Pony
Around the Fur

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
I like it a lot. It's very much an album lover's album though. The songs don't really stand out from each other as much as their stuff usually does, and it's more a cohesive thing.

As an aside, by the time their next album rolls around I'm expecting Chino's vocals to be nothing but delay and reverb. He's gotten more and more echoy in the mix over their last few.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
I've listened to it three times through now, and I too at first was unsure about it as a whole... but it's definitely growing on me.

I realized my biggest roadblock is the production/mix - not that it's bad, it's just very different from Diamond Eyes or KNY. Chino's vocals have (as mentioned above) a lot of effect, but they're frequently really forward in the mix. Stef's heavy guitar is sometimes too, at times jarringly so. In fact, everything blends together less (IMO) than KNY, and differently than DE, where DE was a quite separate mix but very in your face, and KYE smoother but very even; so far Gore seems to be very separate but very... distant? Not sure how to describe it, yet.

Still, I like it! Other than the three early releases (which I love), Xenon and Rubicon were instant standouts for me. I've never heard a Deftones album yet that I could unconditionally love at first listen, they always require repeated listenings to really get, for me. DE did, KNY did, I'm sure Gore will too. But so far, so good!

Edited to say: was listening to Gore on Spotify today (bought it, but figured I'd help them out with a few $0.005 when I can ;)) while doing other things... the album finished and went right into Adrenline-Bored.... and I didn't notice it was a different album! A lot of the feel of the writing and style are VERY old school 90's Deftones to me... curious to hear others' takes on that.

MoshJosh

Reaction score
Went out and bought my copy today. . . and so far its good. I've only been able to listen to the album as a whole once, and I'm sure I'll like it more with each listen.

As for some thoughts I wish there was a little bit more of Stephen's heavy riffing in parts (though I am a bit biased as DE is probably my favorite album by them and its quite heavy) but I love that solo, not sure the song name at the moment but you guys know the one, very tasteful I didn't see it coming and I loved it.

EDIT: Oh and I can't say I love the screaming/yelling effects, but I think it'll grow on me.

anomynous

Reaction score
Phantom Bride, it's Jerry Cantrell playing the solo.

Album is alright. Sounds more like Palms than Deftones. Disappointing after Diamond Eyes & Koi No Yokan. With that said, it's still solid and I'll be listening to it more.

setsuna7

Poor Gearwhore
Reaction score
This band will never cease to amaze me. This album is so different it's so good. People will clamor for a heavy album, if you want that, there's KNY and DE, or Adrenaline. It's so dreamy I can't stop listening, Phantom Bride is just so sugary sweet. Cantrell's solo reminds me a lil'bit of Pink Floyd. My least favorite would be Hearts/Wires, the only thing I feel shouldn't be on the album. 8.5/10.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
I hate to say it but I have to agree, for whatever reason this album isn't really working for me. It's nice to see that they're still changing and experimenting though.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
First full listen: Very enjoyable - big potential for larger impact with more listens (might grow on me). Better first impression than Koi - but not Diamond Eyes.

I'm hearing a hell of a range of guitar sounds, from heavy to tasteful - so what is Steph suppose to be grumpy about? :scratch:

oc616

Control Deck Wins
Reaction score
That bit at the end of "Phantom Bride" sounds like it was tacked on 'cos Steph threw a wobbly.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Been ripping through this cd many times over today, I love it, its every element of the Deftones as we know them. It's definitely an album you listen to in its entirety to get the full effect, but I still think the majority of songs will hold on their own, they just work better together!

')