Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JustMac

ss not-so-regular
Reaction score
It's good so far, I've really stuck to the opening track Prayers/Triangles. It's very powerful but melancholic, surprised to see something of a mixed response to it, it's one of my favourite songs by them already. I guess the other songs will grow on me, so I won't pass judgement till a few more spins.

Also the artwork is really nice, something very unique about it.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Cnev

Reaction score
2 full listens through and meh. Nothing memorable or really interesting going on, and it just sounds tired and uninspired to my ears. Also, Chino lazily throws his voice around the music to the point of annoyance. I wish I had something glowing to say, but it's my least favorite Deftones album to date.

TheHandOfStone

E♭M7(♭5)
Reaction score
After a number of listens, I've concluded my favorite song is Acid Hologram. The verse melody makes you think it's going to be all soothing and melodic but NO. The chorus/bridge are filled with tension and dissonance. :flame:

Triple7

The Decepticon
Reaction score
2 full listens through and meh. Nothing memorable or really interesting going on, and it just sounds tired and uninspired to my ears. Also, Chino lazily throws his voice around the music to the point of annoyance. I wish I had something glowing to say, but it's my least favorite Deftones album to date so far.

I completely agree. There are a few decent songs on this album...but over all it's pretty lackluster. The vocals sound so disjointed from the music, with all the effects on them, and the patterns(?) he chooses to use. So far, it's also my least favorite Deftones album...by a lot.

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score
With more listens, Gore is really growing on me (I went through the same process with KNY, as well). The more I hear it, the more I realize that the *music* is very Deftonish, as it were, but Chino has really stretched out with his melodies, and the production is VERY different from what they've done before. It's like a cross between arena rock and some reverb drenched indie project.

I predict I'll continue to like it more and more... except maybe that long drawn out ending to Gore, that's a little much even for me! =p

BlueTrident

Reaction score
On a seperate note, does anyone else think that ESP need to upgrade their LTD SC range a bit? Like with different colours instead of black and ebony fretboards instead of rosewood?

Ralyks

The One Who Knocks
Contributor
Reaction score
I'm still trying to take it all in, but I like how it flows almost like a concept album. Also, Phantom Bride into Rubicon is an awesome 1 - 2 punch of an album ending.

leandroab

Stay Negative™
Reaction score
This album is definitely a grower. First time I listened to it, it didn't even make an impression on me. The third time I understood what it was all about and now I think it's ....ing awesome.

wankerness

Reaction score
Not a shower?

People insist it's a grower, that yes, it will be as big as the "shower" eventually, just give it some time, but that's just a lie they say to cover up the fact that it really is just a small one.

:lol:

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I'm such a crappy 'tones fan.. I haven't even had a listen to Gore.. :noplease:

synrgy

Ya ya ya I am Lorde
Reaction score
There was a brief moment there where I was like

WTF GUITAR SOLO DEFTONES ALBUMS DON'T HAVE GUITAR SOLOS

But then I kept listening, and it was pretty, and it took the song somewhere, so I was okay with it. And then I found out it was a guest spot from Jerry Cantrell, so I was even more okay with it.

wankerness

Reaction score
I'm such a crappy 'tones fan.. I haven't even had a listen to Gore.. :noplease:

I'm a good Deftones fan cause I am not going to listen to it until I have a physical copy. It's still 1998 in this house. :hbang:

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
I'm a good Deftones fan cause I am not going to listen to it until I have a physical copy. It's still 1998 in this house. :hbang:

:lol: word, G! That's pretty much what I'm holding out for as well :agreed:

I'm broke AF this month because of my new PRS so I might have to resort to streaming

wankerness

Reaction score
:lol: word, G! That's pretty much what I'm holding out for as well :agreed:

I'm broke AF this month because of my new PRS so I might have to resort to streaming

I'm going to buy it on Saturday. It's national record store day so they're having a lot of crazy sales on vinyl/cds at the local stores.

In related news, the Deftones are releasing a vinyl edition of "B-Sides and Rarities" on Saturday as a Record Store Day tie-in. I haven't heard that collection yet, even though the CD came out in 2005! "The Chauffeur" is the only one that jumps out as being something I've heard before (I heard it way back in Napster days along with a bunch of other b-sides/rarities of theirs like Teething).

Dantas

Reaction score
The more I listen to Gore, the more I get bored with this album....is by far the worst album in their discography.

For me the biggest problem is the middle of it, starting with Geometric Headress to L(Mirl)....those 5 tracks in the middle are by far the most boring, redundant and lifeless songs ever in their catalog. The guitar work is completely bland....just power chords, and those riffs that are only octaves been played (the begginning of Pittura Infamante for example)...they always found a way to make that kind of simple songwriting and guitar work transcend their simplicity, but here they are running out of ideas and sounding completely lazy.

I think this happenned since a lot of songs were written by Chino, and then Stephen came way later in the writing proccess, and did his thing without the same inspiration of previous albums. Chino does nice stuff over Stephen guitars in previous songs, but the core of their sound comes from Stephen starting the riffs (I guess), and not Chino writing the heavy parts and starting writing the songs alone. Chino's never been a great guitar player, and it shows sometimes in his lousy vibratos (listen to the begginning of Xenom, or older songs like Riviere) and his overall raspy sound.

A track which I think is the best, and show a nice blend of evolution of their playing and songwriting is Rubicon, but it's a shame that this appears just in the last track of the record.

I may sound arrogant above, but I'm just a average guitar player trying hard to become better everyday, and I'm also a huge fan of the band since 98, when I bought Around The Fur, but after 8 albums, they are sounding tired and complacent with their style, and especially Chino and Stephen with their guitar playing.

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
In related news, the Deftones are releasing a vinyl edition of "B-Sides and Rarities" on Saturday as a Record Store Day tie-in. I haven't heard that collection yet, even though the CD came out in 2005! "The Chauffeur" is the only one that jumps out as being something I've heard before (I heard it way back in Napster days along with a bunch of other b-sides/rarities of theirs like Teething).

That's cool! I think in that album there is a different rendition of the song teenager, and I quite liked it a lot more then the version on white pony. The Please, Please, Please cover had me hooked as well

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
On a seperate note, does anyone else think that ESP need to upgrade their LTD SC range a bit? Like with different colours instead of black and ebony fretboards instead of rosewood?

A comeback of a Stef 6 would be awesome too

MerlinTKD

EIght.Fold.Path / Hinge Theory
Contributor
Reaction score

How about the red one with the gold 8 string Floyd in the Kimmel vids?:idea:

')