Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vrollin

Reaction score
Does Stef still bring like 11 guitars with different downtuned tunings on tour? I feel that he should cut the amount to 3 and get the Drop pedal or use his Axe FX's pitch shift function so that he doesn't have to bother his flight customs and guitar tech.

1. 8-string F#BEADGBE
    • Adrenaline - The low two strings aren't used since it was recorded in E standard
    • Self-titled - Effect set to 3, so the guitar is tuned to D#G#C#F#BEG#C# (the 8th string isn't used obviously)
    • Diamond Eyes - Original tuning
    • Koi No Yokan (Tempest and Rosemary) - Effect set to 1 since they're played in F standard
    • Gore - Original tuning
  2. 7-string Drop F#
    • Saturday Night Wrist - Original tuning
    • Koi No Yokan (rest of the album) - Effect set to 2 so it becomes Drop E (originally played on an 8 but I doubt the high E was used)
  3. Drop C#
    • Around The Fur - Original tuning
    • White Pony - Effect set to 1 so it becomes Drop C

No one wants to smash out a huge crushing cord only to have it feel like a uke in your hands in comparison.
If he can't feel it, and from the way he discusses this in various interviews stating that he just loves crushing drawn out sounds and the way it feels, then he is going to have a .... time on stage and you're going to hear that disconnection in the audience.

Side note, get to see them Saturday with Karnivool opening for them!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wankerness

Reaction score
Karnivool? Wow, that's an interesting choice.

Vrollin

Reaction score
wait what? Karnivool is opening for Deftones? I will go wherever this is happening

In Australia! Get your plane tickets quick, before either of those two numpties get elected and put your country in lockdown!

Sikthness

Reaction score
In Australia! Get your plane tickets quick, before either of those two numpties get elected and put your country in lockdown!

hahaha . damn I wish i could. That would be an absolutely incredible show. Australia has all these bands Id love to see, Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Caligulas Horse, Twelve foot Ninja ...I need to spend a year in australia enjoying the women and see some of these bands

Vrollin

Reaction score
hahaha . damn I wish i could. That would be an absolutely incredible show. Australia has all these bands Id love to see, Karnivool, Dead Letter Circus, Caligulas Horse, Twelve foot Ninja ...I need to spend a year in australia enjoying the women and see some of these bands

There are so many great bands, unfortunately I just think it's quite hard for Australian bands to brake from the gigging scene to touring and having a label promote them internationally. A big part of that may lie with the fans, I'm not sure what it's like in other countries, but I have seen Australian opening acts get constantly booed because dickheads in the crowd just wanted to see the international headline act. The openers weren't bad, 5they just weren't who they wanted to see, but completely undeserving of the treatment from the crowd...

vilk

Very Regular
Reaction score
I'm so late getting this. Only finally listening to it since earlier this week.

Honestly, I'm quite surprised everyone's saying it doesn't measure up to Diamond Eyes or KNY, because my immediate first impression was Oh man! They decided to ROCK again!

Because I felt like KNY is totally neutered, and about half of Diamond Eyes is too. Gore actually jams, gets you headbanging, which is really refreshing after an album totally and completely devoid of that. The last two tracks, I play them over and over again because they friggin slay! And I love the first track as well. Chino actually brought back his screaming, and it's intense!

I love Diamond Eyes, and I do like Koi No Youkan, but I feel that Gore is exactly what the doctor ordered.

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score
Not sure how to feel about this. I mean, I'd believe you if you told me this was a White Pony b-side. Which should be good, in theory, but this is really pushing the boundaries of influence in to rip-off territory.

KnightBrolaire

Pickup Connoisseur
Reaction score
Not sure how to feel about this. I mean, I'd believe you if you told me this was a White Pony b-side. Which should be good, in theory, but this is really pushing the boundaries of influence in to rip-off territory.

jesus the singer even sounds just like chino

Nlelith

Motion Designer
Reaction score
I could name a few of bands that do rip-offs pretty constantly, but that track above is just similar sounding to Deftones, I wouldn't call it a rip-off (unless you have a certain track in mind, that I didn't hear/don't remember).

Now, since we discuss bands similar to Deftones, here's my recommendation... and it's currently my top#2 album of 2017:
Skip to 21:42 for best track on the album.

BrailleDecibel

Member Of The 27" Club
Reaction score
Wow, both of those bands do Deftones really well, with Vexes doing the earlier-era stuff, and Come to Dolly sounding a bit more like the later-era...I like 'em both! Vexes' singer in particular gives me a strong Chino vibe...Vextones! :lol:

Rational Gaze

LithiumDawn Voicebox
Reaction score

While I really enjoy this, I just cannot get over how it isn't really trying to be anything but the Deftones. The singer does his best Chino impersonation, including the tiny fake-me-out vibrato at the end of some phrases. Even the name of the band and the song title share the Deftones aesthetic.

It's cool I guess, I just don't know how far they can logically take this.

gunch

digidun digidun wakka wakka skree
Reaction score
Come to dolly is like self titled riffs with around the fur vocals, pretty cool

Petar

Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned earlier anywhere on this forum... But i really enjoy the band named Face Off and their EP: Massive...
Of course, everyone will have its own perception, but to me it sounds like post-rock kind of Deftones vibe, with female vocals... Oddly enough, they are from Serbia, as well...:)

')