Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
A photo I took when I saw them last year in Melbourne:

277_zps88c3c387.jpg

awsome pic :D i saw em in sydney the first time they came out here in in may i think it was...awsome set/show. Spewing i didn't see em when they came out at the end of last year lol

Seeing a band of that level twice in one year in Australia is rare :(

Super pumped for a new album/tour though!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Ah, very nice!! Maybe they are getting closer to releasing Eros. :yesway:

Lickers

Destroyer of venues
Reaction score
Can't wait. Deftomes have been one of the few bands since their incpetion that have consistently delivered great music and demonstrated growth as musicians.

I've loved them since day one but always found them quite hit and miss in a live setting - more often than not due to Chino's vocals.
The last few times I saw them, they were getting more focused and when they toured in support of KNY, their show was one of the best I've ever seen. The sound was trluy crushing and the cohesiveness they demonstrated as a band was as strong as I've ever seen.
Chino's vocals were as emotive and intense as you could ever want to hear. A class act.

Bring on the new album.

KFW

Reaction score
I love Deftones, but a lot of their newer music to me seems to have too much of the slow, sweeping chord progression stuff. I know it's kind of their MO, but I prefer when they mix it up with some of the more quirky/riffy stuff. Diamond Eyes was a good balance of this. But I can't get into Koi No Yokan so much because of this. I can tell it's good and it sounds awesome, but it's not my favorite sound of theirs.

wankerness

Reaction score
Deftones just posted this on faceook.

deftones smile eros - YouTube

So wait, they posted this on their own facebook, and then it was taken down due to their record label filing a copyright claim? That's awesome. :wallbash:

EDIT: here's another link, definitely sounds valid to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPN2XVPxRoY

This song is gorgeous, search for "Deftones - Smile" if this one also gets taken down. It's well worth hearing. It sounds kind of like a midpoint between Koi No Yokan and White Pony, it's less downtuned in the guitar department and the bass sounds more like Chi and really is what drives the lurching chord progressions on the chorus. Reminds me of "Change (in the House of Flies)" or the bridge on "Knife Prty" crossed with the more guitar-overdubbed sound of Koi No Yokan.

InHiding

Reaction score
New (old) song is pretty nice. This deserves a bump.

Reactions: X1X

BlackMastodon

\m/ (゚Д゚) \m/
Contributor
Reaction score
I keep listening to this song and am absolutely loving it. Really hope they decide to release Eros sometime soon. This stuff deserves to see the light of day.

ChubbyEwok

Reaction score
I would love it if they released Eros, it would definitely be interesting to hear how this song fits with all the others. If they were to release it, then we'd probably be looking at some time after their next album, but that's just my guess.

wankerness

Reaction score
Anyone else remember being shocked when they saw the Change video? I'd been watching videos/live performances of the Around the Fur stuff for a year or two before White Pony was released and suddenly that video came out and it looked like Chino had gained 50 pounds, haha.

starslight

Gimme that wheat!
Reaction score
Chino was looking and sounding pretty bad for a while. It's inspiring to see a dude get his shit so thoroughly together again.

JD27

ESP Cult Member
Reaction score
Just saw this on the Orange Amps Facebook page. Labeled as Stephen Carpenters new touring rig.

10264169_10154063616025246_8011424837020889990_o.jpg

')