Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RevelGTR

Reaction score
That song that's supposed to be from Eros is pretty cool, I dig it. I have to admit, both Diamond Eyes and Koi No Yokan are missing something to me. I love those albums, like I do every Deftones album, but I don't love them as much as I love Around the Fur or the self titled. I think I'd like to hear Steph on 7's or 6's again, the uber low tuning think is getting a little old for me. I mean, on Diamond Eyes, You've Seen the Butcher, Rosemary, and Leathers it's pretty sweet, but I'd love to hear something up in the Bb-C# range. Steph's thrashier Adrenaline-ATF era riffs are just cooler than cool.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Veldar

Is Post-Thrash?
Reaction score
It sounds kind of like a midpoint between Koi No Yokan and White Pony...

Perfect Deftones then.

Just saw this on the Orange Amps Facebook page. Labeled as Stephen Carpenters new touring rig.

10264169_10154063616025246_8011424837020889990_o.jpg

I guess he didn't like being straight into the PA, very sexy setup.

morethan6

Reaction score
^ Maybe, but he's always used a power amp/cab setup for stage and then a second rig to PA. This could be just the stage rig. Looks cool! Be interested to see how the 2 Orange heads come in to play...

EDIT: Looking at it I think the 2 DT amps are just for power, replacing the EHX Magnum 44 pedals he used to run...

Reaction score
Looks like he is using the Jim Root Orange heads as power amps for stage monitoring.

He may have had impulses made for the Axefx with those cabs and that amps power amp, but doesn't use the impulses for stage monitoring and uses the real poweramps instead?

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
a few months old but - cool interview with Chino and Frank!

So cool they mention RX Queen - one of my favorites on WP

RX Queen - White Pony

yuvioh

The G.A.S. is real..
Reaction score
I personally grew up listening to the deftones during my high school days, So I decided to pay tribute to them and cover one of their songs. I apologize for the crappy playing though, I'm still learning how to play better but yeah enjoy my 1st cover. thanks! :)

I used a stock rga121 and a dual rectifier mod on the jam-up pro app.

[SC]https://soundcloud.com/jan-michael-g-yuvienco/my-own-summer-cover[/SC]

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Got on a tangent on YT - here are just a few tunes that Deftones covered.

The Cars' Drive was a bonus track if you bought SNW on iTunes.

Jealous Guy (Lennon)

Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want

Simple Man (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Alex Kenivel

Stunt Guitar
Reaction score
Deftones got me back into metal less than a year ago. To be honest I didn't really like them when I was into metal the first time. I've got a cover of Please, please, please on my soundcloud..although its kind of embarrassing, for im not much of a singer.

Whipsy77

Reaction score
awsome pic :D i saw em in sydney the first time they came out here in in may i think it was...awsome set/show. Spewing i didn't see em when they came out at the end of last year lol

Seeing a band of that level twice in one year in Australia is rare :(

Super pumped for a new album/tour though!!

Saw them in Sydney May last year and January this year, Man I wish they would come here twice a year every year lol

Reaction score
Perfect Deftones then.

I guess he didn't like being straight into the PA, very sexy setup.

Watched a rig rundown a while ago with him and he was incredibly frustrated that he couldn't get the sound he wanted running Axe FX straight into the PA. Orange is always a good choice though, might get a Jim Root head in the future. On another note I hope they release some more Eros stuff with their new record, can't wait!

bythepainiseetheothers

Reaction score
One of my favorite bands (and I've started listening to them like 10 months ago, but they've became someting big to me), and one of the main reasons/inspirations to get a 8 string guitar (along with almighty Meshuggah).
Speaking of which, I've loved Koi No Yokan and that was the very first album I've heard of em. Then I felt in love with Diamond Eyes and White Pony, but I'm afraid I haven't clicked yet with their old stuff. It's a matter of time I guess.

I hope they release Eros soon, so I can go and see them live, and hopefully, get a picture or two with the guys.

Stef's touring collection of guitars is massive!

wankerness

Reaction score
I remember that song well, that intro was my favorite deftones riff back before white pony came out. I had that soundtrack for that song (and some Filter and Korn songs, iirc).

Necky379

Reaction score
That Lennon cover is so good, one of my favorite cover songs.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
1) Don't use the "youtu.be" or "https://www.youtube.com" link. It needs to be "http://www.youtube.com"" or "www.youtube.com".
2) Use the code, without any spaces in the brackets "[ youtubevid ](code at the end of the URL after "watch?v=")[/MEDIA]"

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen this "documentary" on the band?? What a weird concept - let's do a documentary but not use any of their music in it - probably due to copyright refusal, makes for a really surreal video. Plus the people they interview are valid, but so distantly relevant. I guess they really, really wanted to do this - to hell with the obstacles and omissions! :lol:

There are some points of interest ... some good photos, insights...

')