Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vrollin

Reaction score
I always knew who Deftones were - I can remember seeing the videos for My Own Summer and Mini Maggit on television - but I never really paid attention to them until I heard this cover:

Really enjoyed that, and so I decided I should check out the original. They're obviously quite different and so it really took me by surprise, absolutely floored me. Hearing Minerva for the first time completely changed the way I think about music, and it remains one of my favourite songs. The video is perfect too!

If you like that cover then you need to check out "Palms," "Crosses" or "+++" and "Team sleep"
All very chilled Chino Morino side projects. You will love them!

Palms - Future Warrior
Crosses - The epilogue (one of my fav songs these days)
Team Sleep - Ever

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chinnybob

Reaction score
For whatever reason I couldn't get into Crosses or Palms all that much, but that Team Sleep album is one of my all time favourites, can't wait for their next one!

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Indeed, it's always been one of my favorites - it was strange hearing it after White Pony, but it grew on me a lot faster than SNW.

Yeah white pony was very experimental and different then they released a pretty in your face raw heavier album right after it haha. Deftones are one of the few bands where i love all their albums

Anywho, crosses are pretty cool. If you want a chilled funky electro album, its really enjoyable :D

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I just found a physical copy of B-Sides and Rarities locally. Let's celebrate with another sloppy cover.

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Love this video - it's like a David Lynch production ala Lost Highway, so creepy but so cool. Not even sure if it's official. :shrug:

and here's a little gem from '97 ;)

Abaddon9112

Reaction score
So here's a weird one, wondering if it's true for anyone else on here. My earliest memory of Deftones was from the soundtrack to the Dragon Ball Z movie "Cooler's Revenge" :lol:

I was obsessed with that show when I was 9 or 10 and got the VHS tape of that movie. I remember thinking that transformation scene was epic as fvck, and mostly because of the song. Apparently on recent TV showings they've used the original Japanese soundtrack. Man...The younger generation will never know the glory of nu metal fight songs in anime and games :noplease:

I never got super into the band, but I do give them a listen occasionally. Diamond Eyes is probably my favorite album of theirs. To me that's like the quintessential Deftones album. Hope they get something new out soon.

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
:hbang: I'm from their home town of Sacramento, so its kind of odd. I first heard them because of "Change" being played on the radio....Of course I was too young to really know about them (Adrenaline came out the same year I was born) even though I knew about Korn...Then I eventually became super into them and last (My Own) Summer, I scored an LTD SC607b(featured in kinda old pic) I have a copy of Adrenaline and Around The Fur on CD from a local record store (Shout out Dimple Records) While a lot of other people on this forum may like Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan better (great albums) my favorite albums: Self-titled, and Saturday Night Wrist :hbang:

Attachments

• old stef pic.jpg
    old stef pic.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 26

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
So here's a weird one, wondering if it's true for anyone else on here. My earliest memory of Deftones was from the soundtrack to the Dragon Ball Z movie "Cooler's Revenge" :lol:

That's so cool and yet weird! I used to watch DBZ all the time but it never had Deftones! :noplease: Must be a Toonami thing. :shrug: Great story man! :)

While a lot of other people on this forum may like Diamond Eyes or Koi No Yokan better (great albums) my favorite albums: Self-titled, and Saturday Night Wrist :hbang:

They are all good, no doubt one of the more consistent quality discographies - but yeah there's going to be favorites. I think Diamond Eyes will always be mine. :yesway:

Vrollin

Reaction score
Dammit, every time this pops up in my subscribed threads I'm hoping for some news or a new track from the band...

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Dammit, every time this pops up in my subscribed threads I'm hoping for some news or a new track from the band...

Yeah, really shouldn't be too long now. They will have a 4 month break from the road - great time to hit the studio! :yesway:

TonyGD

The (other) Dude
Reaction score
That's so cool and yet weird! I used to watch DBZ all the time but it never had Deftones! :noplease: Must be a Toonami thing. :shrug: Great story man! :)

They are all good, no doubt one of the more consistent quality discographies - but yeah there's going to be favorites. I think Diamond Eyes will always be mine. :yesway:

Yeah I love them all and frequently listen to each frickin album anyways haha :yesway:

ThePhilosopher

Reason User
Reaction score
I hope they do eventually release that album, even in limited release I'd be all over it.

Latest posts

')