Deftones Megathread, All Things Deftones

• Thread starter Daf57
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
you're not alone :agreed: imo, many new songs would have been so much better if they were in C#, B, or in A, at least. You've seen the butcher for example. great tune but dat 8 string sound...

"...is so good." is, I'm certain, the rest of that sentence.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ambit

Beansack!
Reaction score
Their latest album, Diamond Eyes, and White Pony are by far my favorite. I'm not a huge fan of their other albums. To each his own.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Deftones in the studio 2015
11055579_1579986705552471_73255796_n.jpg

From EMG to Fishman

10598454_793136757431252_1829188642_n.jpg

Sergios' Fender VI

10387552_10153086701060056_1000569021636926137_n.jpg

10151785_10153086701070056_8633767375680766384_n.jpg

11018810_10153086701065056_6123660595118004762_n.jpg

https://instagram.com/p/z4LlmeLgPT/ (small snippet of chino and producer Matt Hyde listening to a playback)

Daf57

5 7s in 4ths
Reaction score
Saw this on their FB page recently - if it's a new pic then they may be laying down some tracks?? :yesway::bowdown:

11043032_10153192725452491_1701951335685053139_n.jpg

pushpull7

Banned
Reaction score
I was so stoked to have "Palladia" show the "soniphere" with Deftones! Man, that 8 with the EMGS looks tasty and out of all the acts it was the thickest/beefiest tone!

But alas, he says "tone is in the hands" which is cool but also says "it's just for looks" for that model.

Still, bitchen! Yeah, Deftones............. YEAH!

Poltergeist

Reaction score
They sure are Daf57. They are at Megawatts Recording Studio in Los Angeles, California. I'm anxious to hear what the new producer Matt Hyde will bring to the table for this band. Although, Terry Date is the f***ing man, and will always capture that essence of Deftones I know and love, and I hope one day they return to him for a future record.

Off topic from the new record
Here's an extended Eros session video I think some might appreciate. Its cool because Chi is playing guitar, Chino is on bass, and Stephen is actually playing leads lol

In case someone hasn't heard "smile" from Eros.

Finger of Death (Bob Ezrin Sessions) love Stephens riffs in this.. Unfortunate that it never made it on SNW.

wankerness

Reaction score
Man, those are like the most generic possible upcoming album comments. I swear 90% of interviews about upcoming new albums say the exact same thing.

"this album goes new places, it definitely moves forward, but it still sounds like our old stuff, i mean you can tell it's the same band, we're really happy about it"

Like, that essentially tells you NOTHING other than "it won't be in a completely different genre from our previous albums."

Oh well! That's music journalism for you.

Poltergeist

Reaction score
16 tracks... I'm assuming that they'll dump like 4 or five of them like they have with past records. The last two records kept me wanting more, so 16 tracks would be a refreshing change, but if anything they'll probably be bonus tracks. I'm kinda tired of Chino's vaguenesses and regurgitated explanations of the their studio and creative process too like wankerness mentioned.. That article reminded me of the exact same things that were said when they were working on Koi No Yokan. Hope to hear more updates soon.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
16 tracks... I'm assuming that they'll dump like 4 or five of them like they have with past records. The last two records kept me wanting more, so 16 tracks would be a refreshing change, but if anything they'll probably be bonus tracks. I'm kinda tired of Chino's vaguenesses and regurgitated explanations of the their studio and creative process too like wankerness mentioned.. That article reminded me of the exact same things that were said when they were working on Koi No Yokan. Hope to hear more updates soon.

Well, maybe someday he'll completely alter his artistic process and the way that he talks about it to suit your preferences. :rolleyes:

Poltergeist

Reaction score
Well, maybe someday he'll completely alter his artistic process and the way that he talks about it to suit your preferences. :rolleyes:

It's not their process in general I'm talking about its just seems like the same old worn out responses he's given in interviews on the last couple records if you ever read any of them during the time Diamond Eyes and KNY were being recorded. They're just vague and echo the same things he's already said before, which doesn't really give us any insight on how different this album will be. I guess thats just the way he is with the press these days.. Not expecting anything more from the dude just stating it since others have noticed it too.

PlumbTheDerps

Reaction score

This seems like an unnecessarily dickish response. The internet is for opinions. No need to go white-knighting everything. I understand exactly the point that was being made- lots of musicians are very transparent about their progress in the studio an evolution of their sound to give listeners a sense of a timeline and excitement. I prefer that to vagueness.

akinari

Reaction score
Pretty excited about this. They've definitely been on an upward swing since Diamond Eyes imo. The only thing I didn't like about KNY was the track order, and some of the guitar sounds were not exactly to my liking.. small gripes though.

Ben.Last

Formerly Lern2Swim
Reaction score
This seems like an unnecessarily dickish response. The internet is for opinions. No need to go white-knighting everything. I understand exactly the point that was being made- lots of musicians are very transparent about their progress in the studio an evolution of their sound to give listeners a sense of a timeline and excitement. I prefer that to vagueness.

I wasn't "white knighting," it just struck me as a silly thing to get peeved about (admittedly, it's not like he was full on ranting about it).

acrcmb

Reaction score
Yeah it's not the best reply but there's not much else he can say, we got more than previously with him saying they're making a point of making songs go in a different than expected which is a good bit of new info and also that they made a point of bringing nothing into the writing sessions, that whole "we get in a room and just play off each other" thing gets boring but that's their process and you can't really go into much detail of an audial thing before going "just wait until you hear it".

')