Delay-ay-ay-ay-ay!

• Thread starter The Scenic View
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm in the market for a delay pedal. Currently I'm looking at the TC Electronic Flashback and Nova Repeater, MXR Carbon Copy, Way Huge Aqua Puss, EHX Memory Boy Deluxe, and the good old Line 6 DL4. What's everyone's experience with these pedals? How reliable are they, how does the delay sound? What's the quality of the delay? How are the features of each pedal? Which is the best?

I really haven't come across any other delay pedals that suit my needs yet or price range. I don't want to break the bank on a delay pedal. If I'm missing any info (style of music being played, rig etc) let me know. I'm not going to jump the gun on anything yet, I'll have roughly until the end of June/July before I decide.

All the help and info is greatly appreciated!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mike0

Reaction score
i can vouch for the carbon copy. only problem i have with it is that the repeats kinda get lost in your sound, you can still hear each one, they're just faint. for me it adds more warmth and this certain something that i can't put my finger on, it just makes my leads and solos sound so much more rich. i guess if you really wanted to you could turn the level up (i keep mine at a bout 1-2 oclock) if you want each repeat to cut more and be more pronounced, but at that point i think it intrudes a little too much on what you're actually playing. this wouldn't be a problem if i could find some middle ground, but the level knob just sorta takes it from warmth to overkill too fast. maybe i'm not doing it right? :scratch:
i guess it really depends on what type of delay sound you want. other than the fact hat its features are somewhat limited (not necessarily a bad thing), it is a great delay pedal. it's sturdy, sounds great, bright LEDs, and it's leaves space on your board!

i have *heard* that the dl4s are somewhat easy to break if you really stomp on it, never had any experience but i have heard that it can happen. just something to keep in mind. if you're considering the dl4 though, you should also look into the boss dd-20, my friend has one and it sounds absolutely great.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I use the Nova Delay, but had the Nova Repeater before that. If you're looking for a great all-around delay, from that list I would have to say the Nova is the best. Comparing delays is hard though depending on what you want. If you want an analog delay, get a Carbon Copy. If you want really good analog modulated delays, very vintage and funky, get the Memory Man. If you want something with lots of features and does everything from digital to analog (only analog sound, it doesn't do crazy self oscillations when you mess with the knobs) and a tap tempo, the Nova is perfect. That's the other thing to remember is if you use it a fair amount you probably want tap tempo, which TRUE ANALOG pedals don't have, only digital or analog/digital hybrids. All the pedals you listed sound great though.

j_m_s

Reaction score
Do you just want quarter note delays or do you also want dotted eights and all?

I usually use two delays..

Love the set up of a boss dm2 and a boss dd5.

The carbon copy is a pretty good unit. If you're willing to shell out the extra cash. the strymon timeline is a brilliant pedal! If not.. then the nova delay is pretty decent too

shanejohnson02

Hammer of the Gods
Reaction score
I have 2 nova delays and 2 boss DD-3's. (Overkill, I know.)

The Novas slay the DD-3's in every way; I just keep them around for an old-school rock pedalboard setup.

amarshism

Reaction score
i always like the dl4, have heard of reliability issues although i never had a problem with mine

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
The Carbon Copy is a really sweet delay, perfect for solo tones and such.
The Flashback is an excellent little pedal as well. Very versatile.
I personally own an RV-3 and I'm in love with it. It's perfect for ambient/post-metal stuff, but I find it a bit lacking when it comes to adding it on for leads. The Carbon Copy wins there. It has a smoothness to perfect for soloing it that Boss delays just don't seem to have.

noUser01

Still can't play.
Reaction score
I have 2 nova delays and 2 boss DD-3's. (Overkill, I know.)

The Novas slay the DD-3's in every way; I just keep them around for an old-school rock pedalboard setup.

As someone who loves delay and uses it for nearly everything he can get away with, I must ask, why the hell?!?!

fitterhappier

More Productive
Reaction score
I've used the Boss DD-3 for years. Pretty good pedal.

Just replaced it with a DD-7. So far, I'm thrilled. Plus it has a mini-looper built in.

Seanthesheep

Reaction score
I loved my Carbon copy when I had it. Only sold it to help fund my axe fx. But it doesnt do repeats like a digital delay.

Crash Dandicoot

» B E H O L D
Reaction score
I personally use the Empress Effects Vintage Superdelay, and it's unbelievably amazing and versatile.

That being said, it is RIDICULOUSLY expensive, so keep that in mind. Only other delays I've really messed with are the Boss DD-3, DD-7 and MXR Carbon Copy. Both Boss pedals are pretty standard, no real amazing points but no complaints either. The MXR was pretty nice, I really liked it for clean solo tones - just didn't do everything I wanted.

celticelk

Reaction score
There's quite a bit of difference in the feature sets of the pedals that you mentioned: the Nova and the DL-4 have lots of different delay types available, the EHX does super-tweakable analog delay, but *only* that flavor, and the Carbon Copy is a bare-bones analog delay that doesn't include tap tempo. What applications do you have for this pedal? Do you just need something to thicken and spatialize your sound a little, or are you going for full-on post-rock freakouts? How important is the tap-tempo feature? Do you envision a need for looping as an additional feature?

asilayamazing

Reaction score
The Carbon Copy is a really sweet delay, perfect for solo tones and such.
The Flashback is an excellent little pedal as well. Very versatile.
I personally own an RV-3 and I'm in love with it. It's perfect for ambient/post-metal stuff, but I find it a bit lacking when it comes to adding it on for leads. The Carbon Copy wins there. It has a smoothness to perfect for soloing it that Boss delays just don't seem to have.
i find it perfect for leads, the reverb+delay very subtle is awesome for any kind of lead sweeps especially IMO delay should be very subtle or very strong and the reverb is the best ive heard from any amp or pedal.

rv-3 reverb or delay or reverb+ delay awesome:hbang: dont get the rv-5 its crap digital and less features options. rv-3 partial analog:yesway:

The Scenic View

Reaction score
There's quite a bit of difference in the feature sets of the pedals that you mentioned: the Nova and the DL-4 have lots of different delay types available, the EHX does super-tweakable analog delay, but *only* that flavor, and the Carbon Copy is a bare-bones analog delay that doesn't include tap tempo. What applications do you have for this pedal? Do you just need something to thicken and spatialize your sound a little, or are you going for full-on post-rock freakouts? How important is the tap-tempo feature? Do you envision a need for looping as an additional feature?

Well I'd mainly be using it for the traditional style delays, no doubling effects really or reverb (My Mark V sounds like there's 2 guitarists and it has reverb built in lol). Tap tempo would be cool since I usually lock in with our drummer, I can just tap to the cymbal hits etc. I just don't wanna be like "Oh I wish I bought this delay because it does what mine doesn't do". I really don't wanna go for botique pedals. I guess at this point it doesn't matter if it's analog or digital. If there's a great digital delay that can sound like it's analog (from my original suggestions), please suggest! The more features the merrier! Thanks

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
The Flashback is one of the sweetest pedals ever. Unlimited versatility with the Toneprint option. Sold mine because I got a G Major II for all of my effects but I've found the delays on the G Major don't sound nearly as good as the Flashback I had. Plus there's a cool chorus Toneprint for it that basically turns the Flashback into a chorus pedal. As well as a few other modulation effects.

Dead Undead

New again
Reaction score
^Agreed. I really like the auto-tap feature on the Flashback (and I believe the Nova Delay has that as well). It's an infinitely useful pedal.

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
Eventide Timefactor is what I use, sounds great, very versatile, midi switchable, lots of presets... :yesway:

4Eyes

Reaction score
Eventide Timefactor is what I use, sounds great, very versatile, midi switchable, lots of presets... :yesway:

it's awesome and really great delay pedal, but I think it's out of a price range

7slinger

wake up dead
Contributor
Reaction score
it's awesome and really great delay pedal, but I think it's out of a price range

yes, it is pricey. The versatility of it makes up for some of that money though, as I use it for delay, chorus sounds, and some filter type effects too. It's the only effects box I've had for a long time.

')