Delay-ay-ay-ay-ay!

• Thread starter The Scenic View
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Delays can vary quite a lot in character. Best to go to a store and try a bunch. Barring that, proguitarshop has tons of awesome demo vids on youtube.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

4Eyes

Reaction score
yes, it is pricey. The versatility of it makes up for some of that money though, as I use it for delay, chorus sounds, and some filter type effects too. It's the only effects box I've had for a long time.

it's the exact reason why I own one and in addition to that it can by used as midi controller for the whole rig + it can be extended with another three foot switches.

Eclipse

Reaction score
Boss DD-20. Its only 239.00. With Up to 23 seconds of delay they are great for 16 bar loops!

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Eventide Timefactor is what I use, sounds great, very versatile, midi switchable, lots of presets... :yesway:

Too bad I can't shell out the cash for one right now haha. Im leaning more and more towards the flashback, just because of how much it can do for the price. Im still thinking on the other suggestions. Sounding good, not breaking the bank, lots of features, durable etc is what im looking for. I dont care how big or small it is (my board is huge), it just has to do what i listed, and well!

thanks again!

gunshow86de

Beef Jerky Time
Reaction score

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Boss DD-20. Its only 239.00. With Up to 23 seconds of delay they are great for 16 bar loops!
You can use the Flashback as a looper as well. Up to 40 seconds on a mono source or 20 seconds in stereo.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
You can use the Flashback as a looper as well. Up to 40 seconds on a mono source or 20 seconds in stereo.

This definitely has me leaning more towards the flashback. The flashback seems like it does so much more than the others for it's price. Any other delays/ thoughts on the delays that have been listed?

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
It really does. Although the looper is extremely basic. You can record over the loop as many times as you want but once you stop it, it's gone.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
Although the flashback is digital, how does it sound compared to an analog delay such as the memory man, carbon copy? Can the flashback's presets (on the pedal and toneprint) sound as good as or better than an analog delay?

Orren

Industrial Metalhead
Reaction score
This definitely has me leaning more towards the flashback. The flashback seems like it does so much more than the others for it's price. Any other delays/ thoughts on the delays that have been listed?

I second what everyone has said about the Flashback, but I have a pedal called the "Alter Ego" which is a Flashback variant sold by Pro Guitar Shop:
TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay

Highly recommended because it has two custom models: the Binson Echorec and the Deluxe Memory Man that are excellent. Other than that it's like any other Flashback, can use all it's Toneprints etc. same price, too.

Orren

StratoJazz

Reaction score
The MXR Carbon Copy is an extremely good delay pedal. All Analog and about $150 new. I love mine and it's never failed on me. Considering what's out their and it's price point, i'd say you can't lose. The only problem is, alot of my friends I know have it, so if you want something different, you might try the WAY HUGE Aqua Puss. I've heard that that the circuit to both the Aqua puss and the Carbon Copy is similar.

Depending if you want features or not, I'd still recommend a Boss dd-3. Just buy them used, it's not worth spending $110 on a new one, especially if you can get a carbon copy for $40 more. I lucked out and got a cheap old beat up one for about $50-$60. If you just need some repeats or something that you wouldn't cry home about if someone steals it, then it's a pretty good standard pedal.

If you are posh, i'd recommend you get a real EHX Memory Man. I'd say those probably sound even better than the Carbon Copy and the Aqua Puss. I don't know about the other 2 pedals, but if i had to get another delay pedal, I would choose that. Just a suggestion.

danger5oh

I'm always... hungry
Reaction score
The TC Flashback is easily the most bang-for-the-buck delay pedal I've ever owned. It has a small footprint, has a ton of delay types + toneprint, built-in looper, strum-tap > foot-tap, can be bypassed or buffered, has delay spillover, etc. Every other delay pedal I've owned did one or two things great, but lacked in other areas. I can't say there's anything missing from the Flashback, which is exactly why I no longer own any other delay pedal.

Reaction score
If you're going to et a DL-4 you might as well save a couple extra bucks and get a M9. Same size and you get a better looper plus all the other effects. I have a Empress super delay and I love it. I'll always have a special place in my heart for a boss dd3. Tho it's lack of tap tempo puts me off it's funcionality is what I love. Just gets this spacey sound when the repeats are all the way up. I've heard the flashback is great. It all depends on what type of delay tone you're looking for.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
So I've done more reading and I heard that the signal of an analog delay can be distorted when ran in front of the amp? So people are telling me I should avoid it and go to a digital delay. Im still pretty persistent on the analog sound (I've also narrowed down my choices to the Deluxe Memory Boy from ehx, and the Flashback and Alter Ego from TC). Does the analog delay distort when it's in front of the amp? Does that depend on where it's placed in the signal chain? If so, is it avoidable?

Kwirk

The Wrong Advices
Reaction score
Any delay will distort on an overdriven channel if you run it in the front of the amp. Always run effects that have tails, like delays and reverbs, in the loop.

The Scenic View

Reaction score
So I recently tried the EHX Memory Boy Deluxe and the Line 6 DL4 in a local music store. I will say they are bother very impressive, have lots of features and they sound amazing. Although I'm in a stump... I don't know which one to buy! Will I use all of the DL4's presets, and will I actually have multiple delays that I need for my band? Will I be missing out on the "extras" that the DL4 has if I buy the Memory Boy DLX? I need everyone's opinion on these two pedals, since I'll be buying them in the very near future (this week coming up). Pros and cons, reliability, durability etc. Thanks!!!

Sdrizis89

Reaction score
Too bad I can't shell out the cash for one right now haha. Im leaning more and more towards the flashback, just because of how much it can do for the price. Im still thinking on the other suggestions. Sounding good, not breaking the bank, lots of features, durable etc is what im looking for. I dont care how big or small it is (my board is huge), it just has to do what i listed, and well!

thanks again!

I just bought the TC electronic Flashback delay this morning and after a couple of hours i am very happy. 9 different delay settings plus a looper and that tone print option to upload some settings from artist like petrucci and morse etc. Loving this pedal so far. I def recommend getting this thing! :hbang::yesway:

')