Delay pedals

• Thread starter Csm84123
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Csm84123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Not sure if this post should go under gear but. Im looking for a new delay pedal. Had indivdual pedals before but sold them and got an hx effects. Got tired of the HX and now im back to square one. Previously had a Nux duotime that i liked. Looking at TC flashback 2 but not sure. What do you guys use/ recommend?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
Do you have any must haves? Presets, midi, stereo, ms length, etc?

Personally I’m still all about my benson delay. It’s great, sounds awesome, and I love the fact that it is 5knobs with no need to menu dive. The tone is amazing and it has a really cool lfo that can be engaged or run without delay if you want. There are so many sounds. That being said it definitely has limitations. No ability to save presets, mono, no external exp or tap tempo available. The tone makes up for it imo.

I also really dig my Kma cirrus delay reverb combo. It has some very awesome modulated delays available. It does not have an option to turn off the modulation unfortunately so I believe it’s limited in the use cases. The features available on it are great for getting a variety of specific sounds.

I am currently looking at a Meris lvx delay or a Strymon due to stereo and presets as well as infinite options compared to the two I currently own. But I am not in a rush to go out and replace the benson. Its plug and play simplicity is really fun.

Last edited:

Csm84123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Something simple and straight forward. Looked at some of the styrmon stuff but it was overkill and dont want to spend time tweaking paremeters. Something simple that sounds good.

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
I’d check out the benson, unless budget is a factor. Then boss is definitely more accessible. Same with the flashback.
You can easily find something between 100-150 in either of those cases, if not less.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I have a Boss DD5 that will likely go to the grave with me. That with a Saturnworks tiny little tap tempo is kind of the perfect basic delay setup in my opinion. Honestly I'd recommend Boss DD anything.

The only other delay that has piqued my interest has been the Walrus Audio Mako D1. More features and higher cost, but they look/sound frickin sick in demos.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I'll also add I had a T Rex Tap Tone delay shortly. It had a built in tap that was nice but it just didn't have the sound I liked.

I guess that's another for the OP: are you mostly looking for digital delay or analog sounds? Or other options?

Jotun@

RooR
Reaction score
I guess I should also clarify two points.
The benson has a tap tempo that is crazy accurate, you just can’t do external tap tempo.
Secondly, it has two menu options, division and waveform, that are accessible through the foot switch activated menu. Each has three options inside that menu.
The benson is digital, but sounds incredibly analog.

Csm84123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
B
Post requirements and budget, or i will say
Post requirements and budget, or i will say boss dd3-dd8.
Both digital and analog work. No digital menus. Budget... low to midrange. Just simple with knobs and switches, tap tempo with like up to 10 different delays. Nothing fancy and expensive but still sounds good

Csm84123

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
My old nux duotime was a dual delay. Maybe another dual delay would be cool too

Big Dumb Bitch

Evil trans lady >:3
Reaction score
I've been using one of the old Seymour Duncan Vapor Trails forever. It does normal delay stuff and can make cool spacey noises if I want. Mine still works perfectly and I've gigged it a lot and dropped it and spilled beer on it once or twice. You can get them used for like $100.

TheWarAgainstTime

"TWAT" for short
Reaction score
The only other "simple" delays I can think of with a dual mode are the Walrus D1 and MXR Joshua. I had a V1 model of the D1 that held its own next to my Timeline and El Cap :metal: the TC Flashback has the quarter + dotted 8th mode, although they only run in parallel unless you run the output of one side back into the input of the other. Not a big deal if you only ever play in mono, though.

If you can give up the dual mode (or decide to go with two separate pedals!) you have no shortage of options for simple, affordable, and great-sounding delays. I'll also throw in my suggestion of the Walrus ARP-87 since I've been enjoying mine :D

Marked Man

Reaction score
I have a t.c. Nova delay, which is simple but more importantly, has great clarity and musicality. I don't care about having 800 sounds buried in menus, I just want several top shelf sounds.

I also have a Boss DD500 with far more options that is great and easy to use for what it is. It is a worthy upgrade from my old DD20. I still have lots of exploring left to do with the 500 since I am a creature of habit and only use 2-3 out of the many options.....I actually used more options on DD20, which had interesting Warped and Twist settings that didn't carry over to the 500.

Crungy

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I forgot about the Nova Delay... One of the guitarists I played with went from a DD20 to that. It has a readout for tempo right? I seem to recall he could easily dial in tempos because we played to a click and that simplified things for him.

Shask

Reaction score
The only other "simple" delays I can think of with a dual mode are the Walrus D1 and MXR Joshua. I had a V1 model of the D1 that held its own next to my Timeline and El Cap :metal: the TC Flashback has the quarter + dotted 8th mode, although they only run in parallel unless you run the output of one side back into the input of the other. Not a big deal if you only ever play in mono, though.

If you can give up the dual mode (or decide to go with two separate pedals!) you have no shortage of options for simple, affordable, and great-sounding delays. I'll also throw in my suggestion of the Walrus ARP-87 since I've been enjoying mine :D
i have been using rack stuff, but have been looking at pedals in case I wanted to switch to something simpler. I mostly use a stereo dual delay, 1/4 on one side and dotted 8th on the other side, with some mod. No presets, etc... it amazes me how there are hardly no pedals that can do this without having a hundred other features I dont use.

phillybhatesme

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
DOD Rubberneck for me.
Any of the Boss variants are fun. And in the past, I had an Ibanez DE7 which was fun.

BabUShka

Reaction score
I had a Boss DD500 once - it was great, but too much dialing for my taste.
Eventually bought a used Hardwire DL8 which is great, it offers a lot of options. I also like the Nux Atlantic if you just need a very simple delay and reverb.