Dell'Isola Guitars - Breathtaking 8 string

• Thread starter Metaloaf
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Metaloaf

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I got the chance to play this beauty; it's a Dell'Isola 8 string built by John Dell'Isola for Josh Martin from Little Tybee.... and, it's pretty amazing. I'm not an 8 string player myself but I sure as hell had great fun playing it.
I haven't seen this builder's work being mentioned here very much at all, less only a handful of threads, and so I though the SSO community would be interested in seeing this guitar.
So here's a video about this guitar from the luthier himself; not sure I want to post pictures without his permission but you can find them on the Dell'Isola facebook page.

There's another youtube video of John Dell'Isola playing it clean, but again not sure I should post it.

What did I think of it? seriously freaking nice! the top and wood combinations is ridiculous, gorgeous, elegant, etc.... but, not being an 8 string player myself and only having briefly played an Ibanez RGA8, I can't really make a serious comparison or provide a fairly knowledgeable review. However, earlier this year I also had the chance to play #16 that was built for Misha (periphery), and I can say that they were both very comfortable and sounded incredible, let alone they both look unreal.
I did feel some kind of improvement on the comfort and overall feel on the neck from this one in comparison to #16 (not that #16 was anything short of fascinating)... and that was when the neck was still not completely finished and the frets were not yet leveled; I can't imagine how it feels now that is done.
As for the sound, I'm not a tone freak so you'd have to ask someone more versed for details, but it was clear even to me that the tone is very well balanced (great for clarity on the lower notes), and it could go from a variety of beautifully resonant cleans to some damn good, vibrant and ballsy distortion.

Anyways, these are just my personal thoughts and, before anyone gets the wrong idea, I'd like to make it clear that I am in no way associated with Dell'Isola Instruments/Guitars or with John Dell'Isola... I've met him a few times, seems a very cool guy who definitely knows his craft,... and is always nice to see more amazing custom guitars like these so I just thought I'd share the experience and spread a little GAS among us.

Cheers!

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Hybrid138

Reaction score
Looks like a great guitar for a great player! I'm happy for Josh. The dude deserves it!

MouseBBX

New here
Reaction score
I saw this and love it. Interesting divide in the opinion whether or not to chamber it. but obviously all worked out satisfactory.

Do you guys know if the PAF pickup he was given by DiMarzio might become generally available in the future? I am in grave need...

Rook

Electrifying
Reaction score
Zimbloth says he has/can get them still?

Maybe ask him if you want one now, he probably still has some. Maybe they're what became the Ionizer?

MouseBBX

New here
Reaction score
Zimbloth says he has/can get them still?

Maybe ask him if you want one now, he probably still has some. Maybe they're what became the Ionizer?

Thanks Rook, I'll give that a try. I know you're a reliable source of all things DiMarzio Fred, you already helped me out on the RCF, but I thought someone might have some more 'through the grapevine' intell here.

')