Desicions Decisions, what pickup matches this set?

Divebombvt

Reaction score
Hey, still new to the forums, and new to 7 strings. I am currently working on a custom 7 as a personal build which will double as a 7 string proto-type for the custom shop I work for. What I was wondering was, what pickup works well with a dimarzio tone zone and air norton combo. I am looking for a middle or bridge pickup, I already know that I want air norton in the neck. I originally ordered an x2n (weird choice I know, but x2n's have a pretty wide range of tones if played right, despite being a payload of output power) but dimarzio screwed up and sent me an evo7. I am wondering if it is worth keeping or should I exchange it for my x2n, or a different pickup if someone has a better suggestion.

To give you an idea on the guitar it will go in it is a 1 piece cherry neck thru with mahogany wings and maple top. 500k master volume and tone with all 3 HB's coil tapped with a 6 way rotary switch. I was again going with the x2n because it coil taps very well.

But I have and evo7, should I keep it or exchange?

Air Norton 7 (neck)
??? (middle HB)
Tone Zone 7 (bridge)

or

Air Norton 7 (neck)
Tone Zone 7 (middle)
??????????? (Bridge)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

onefingersweep

Reaction score
I would keep the evo. I think that will give you a wider range of sounds in your guitar.

Divebombvt

Reaction score
Cool, glad to know that it can do anything, because I am really a clean or completely overdriven kind of player, not a whole lot going on in between, except for a little tube screamer for just some moderately crunchy stuff. So I need a pickup that can do both. The only thing I am wondering now is does it coil tap well. I know that on clean tones the 6 string evo's both really die out and don't have much voice if you coil tap them. Is this the case with the evo7 or???

Latest posts