Desktop Customization

• Thread starter Severance
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Severance

The Cockhammer
Reaction score
Anyone else customize there desktop around here? I run windows seven and wanted something a little different.

Capture.jpg

Ignore my name and facebook feed they will haunt your dreams.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

x360rampagex

Reaction score
Yup, I'm with you, here is my desktop. I only have on my desktop/dock, what I use, so its not the most tech desktop, but here it is:

20752567.png

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
I have Win 7 and didnt know you could customize it like this! I need to play around with it.

x360rampagex

Reaction score
Ya, I did that pretty soon after building my computer. Be careful though, as you might mess up your registery and have to reinstall windows 7(Like me), lession learned, but luckily, I had only just installed windows anyway so not a big deal.

I use a Nexus - its a custom dock program, and also Rainmeter, which has hugh customization options.

Also if you would like I can give you the info/links I accumulated while customizing mine.

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
Ya, I did that pretty soon after building my computer. Be careful though, as you might mess up your registery and have to reinstall windows 7(Like me), lession learned, but luckily, I had only just installed windows anyway so not a big deal.

I use a Nexus - its a custom dock program, and also Rainmeter, which has hugh customization options.

Also if you would like I can give you the info/links I accumulated while customizing mine.

I would appreciate it! Ive had 7 since it came out, and just never thought to customize it any. Until now that is!

x360rampagex

Reaction score
OK, I will search my files:

So far I have found Log-on editer:

Just run the program, then click browse then navigate to the folder you just unzipped and go into the "Logons" folder, you can choose any of these for your startup/log-on background. You can also change a few other things.

Here is the link: logon editor.7z

I will upload more as I find them.

x360rampagex

Reaction score
Here is another one, this allows you to change the windows start orb/button, it also includes a few orbs/buttons I downloaded.

Just run the program, click the orb and browse to the folder you just unzipped then go to the folder "Orb" then select the one you want.

Here is the zip:W7SBC.zip

x360rampagex

Reaction score
If you wish to change your theme to a custom one, then it does get a bit complicated, but I can guide you through it and upload the programs needed and a collection of themes I have downloaded. Let me know.

nothingleft09

What... the... F@#k!
Reaction score
Rampage, that is an awesome background. Where did you get that? I'd like to set mine up similar to yours. Can ya help? :)

x360rampagex

Reaction score
nothingleft09 - Ya, I have a custom theme, start orb, rainmeter and dock with custom icons.

I have already posted a link to the start orb changer. To change the theme you need to patch windows 7, to do this download and run this program: UniversalThemePatcher_20090409.zip

Then run the UniversalThemePatcher-x64 or UniversalThemePatcher-x86 depending on what system your running(64bit or 32bit). Then follow the on-screen instructions, once the patch is complete, you will be asked to restart your system, do so.

THEN - Once this is done, you will be able to use custom themes, but you still need to download themes and place them in the correct folder.

I have downloaded a few themes and they are at this link: Themes.zip

Once downloaded simply unzip and move the contents of the folder to C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

Then simply right-click your desktop and select "personalize" then scroll down to "installed themes" and select the one you like.

ry_z

Ikebana Noise Club
Reaction score
This was a few years ago, on WinXP. Emerge Desktop, Samurize, etc.

desktop7_14_08.jpg

I don't use any of that stuff anymore, though I got used to not having any desktop icons, and I've stuck with it after the switch to Win7.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
My old computer had heaps of rainmeter stuff and all the mods and stuff to rocketdock.. When I changed computer I never bothered to re-do it all, but I've also stuck to the No Items on desktop and just mount everything I use to the Taskbar.

Ishan

Giant Fridge Magnet
Contributor
Reaction score
I use no icons on desktop too. I got a Rocket Dock and quite a few pinned items on the task bar. I'll take a screen shot tonight :D Nothing too fancy tho.

Lukifer

Need more gain
Reaction score
I've always liked the clean look. I might try pinning all my icons to my task bar and getting rid of all the bull shit icons I don't use. I'll take a before and after tonight.

Fiction

For Mod
Reaction score
I decided to download rainmeter and rocketdock again and have a play around, this is pretty close as I could get to my old setup, minus the wallpaper, and this ones much better anyways.

Background.jpg

')