Despised Icon

• Thread starter Snoop
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Giamatti

Reaction score
My opinion is purley based on both of their most recent albums which i own ive not heard anything earlier by either of them and neither of them made a big enough impact on me to make me want to check out their earlier stuff.

Fair enough, can't argue with that I suppose... :p Their first album is massively samey, I don't find The Ills Of Modern Man at all similar in terms of lack of variety.

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nick

Reaction score
ahh well id say the ills of modern man is the most samey album ive ever heard in any genre of music.

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
Giamatti said:
Lol, of course yeah, the word hardcore has turned into a totally ambiguous one. Leaves plenty of space for people to argue while everybodies understanding of what Hardcore actually is, is different.

but it shouldnt be. i think the problem is that "hardcore" is misused as a dscription for the breakdown stuff of metalcore bands (this "core"-suffix is killing my nerves), and this has been taken over by all the big metal-magazines etc. --> fail-information has been spread around, and now the major part of the audience doesnt even know what hardcore is etc. - i mean its usually pretty clear if a band is "hardcore" or not, the original description "hardcore punk" speaks imho for itself -> black flag, minor threat, discharge: hardcore as its meant to be.

the genre then processed a lot of course, and many subgenres were growing, most of it new school hardcore or "metallic hardcore" - which already had only few to none hardcore elements in it, musicially seen but most of the bands came frrom the hardcore scene, had a hardcore background, and the "attitude". this sub-genre then went on and processed more and more into almost pure metal-sound, think hatebreed, merauder or earth crisis: both had still hardcore-influences in it on the later albums, but it were mostly the "metal" parts of it which have been overtaken by the back then upcoming metalcore-thing to which most referred to as their "hardcore"-influences, altough the bands were already playing full on 08/15-death metal, but put a "breakdown" in there and then...

and today, every band having a breakdown/moshpart or such thing in it gets a "core"-suffix (which shouldnt exist, i mean "core" - wtf should "core" be? :lol: )

i mean, i usually really dont give a shit about it, as my "hardcore" days are gone long time ago - i just got into this conversation due to lack of work at the moment :lol:

Triple-J

the Experimetalist
Reaction score
the rain soaked post industrial wasteland known as
but it shouldnt be. i think the problem is that "hardcore" is misused as a dscription for the breakdown stuff of metalcore bands (this "core"-suffix is killing my nerves), and this has been taken over by all the big metal-magazines etc. --> fail-information has been spread around, and now the major part of the audience doesnt even know what hardcore is etc. - i mean its usually pretty clear if a band is "hardcore" or not, the original description "hardcore punk" speaks imho for itself -> black flag, minor threat, discharge: hardcore as its meant to be.

the genre then processed a lot of course, and many subgenres were growing, most of it new school hardcore or "metallic hardcore" - which already had only few to none hardcore elements in it, musicially seen but most of the bands came frrom the hardcore scene, had a hardcore background, and the "attitude". this sub-genre then went on and processed more and more into almost pure metal-sound, think hatebreed, merauder or earth crisis: both had still hardcore-influences in it on the later albums, but it were mostly the "metal" parts of it which have been overtaken by the back then upcoming metalcore-thing to which most referred to as their "hardcore"-influences, altough the bands were already playing full on 08/15-death metal, but put a "breakdown" in there and then...

and today, every band having a breakdown/moshpart or such thing in it gets a "core"-suffix (which shouldnt exist, i mean "core" - wtf should "core" be? :lol: )

i mean, i usually really dont give a shit about it, as my "hardcore" days are gone long time ago - i just got into this conversation due to lack of work at the moment :lol:

FINALLY someone else who understands that "Hardcore" is an abbreviation of "Hardcore Punk" sir I tip my hat to you!

Nick

Reaction score
dont worry a lot of us are well aware of what it means i just use the term hardcore in genre deffineitions so people know what im talking about these days seeing as the old meaning for the word is all but forgotton.

Check out the rotteds recent album for examples of hardcore punk and metal combined

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
Thumbs of for Peter, thumbs up for Nick, thumbs up for Triple-J.

now, who wants to star a band playing Slayer and Bolt Thrower riffs using breeeee vox and the occasional "beat down" and start raking in the cash?!?!

p.s. what IS a beat down?
p.p.s. maybe we should add some "crab" stances too for maximum cash attraction?

Snoop

Custom User Title
Reaction score
eh, i didnt expect so bad comments about them :O
but ok, everybody listens to what he like :)

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
now, who wants to star a band playing Slayer and Bolt Thrower riffs using breeeee vox and the occasional "beat down" and start raking in the cash?!?!

count me in! :cool::lol:

you must difference between "breakdown" and "beatdown".

a breakdown, formerly known as "mosh-part", is a slow groovey part, mostly with stop/go deep palm mute riffing, and mostly played after a faster part, and its called breakdown because after the fast part the speed throttles/breaks etc....

beatdown = nowadays a genre for itself, taking the whole tough guy "hardcore" thing to the max, imagine overthetop-prole-hiphop-gangsta-style-image including golden necklets, brass knuckles, baseball hats not put on stright but a little slanted.... and the music beeing only a.m. breakdowns. 17 songs, 2 notes. imagine the worst deathcore band, without blastbeats or technique or anything else besides their slowest moshpart -> beatdown. lyrics either about beating and fucking bitches or beat down someone.

elrrek

Contributor
Reaction score
count me in! :cool::lol:

JA! Cool, now let's go to Lugner City and buy some NY baseball hats, some knee length white socks and 3/4 length trousers and a Krocha t-shirt that says "OIDA!" on it to keep it "local".

petereanima

Br00tal Bubbly Mofo
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :lol: Krocha-Beatdown!!!

*beating down in the Nachtschicht since 2008 oida!*

Snoop

Custom User Title
Reaction score
Finally, am I the only fan of them on this forum O_O

Nick

Reaction score
lol at anyone thinking despised icon are 'raking in the money'

seriously:lol:

Reaction score
hardcore was raped by media, duh, its a music people like the fsu give their life to, not wiggers who can sound mediocre with distortion.

And, no Nick Suicide Silence sucks and well, horrible live show, they too are no where near death metal. nor am i a fan of whitechapel. anything with a "core" at the end i give the mighty finger to
old hardcore was cool, but thats been so pillaged by these types of motherfucks :lol:
zees is why i listen to the kvlt metal shit i suppose???

simply put

YES. :agreed:

FINALLY someone else who understands that "Hardcore" is an abbreviation of "Hardcore Punk" sir I tip my hat to you!

absolutely. i feel your fucking pain dude
these dudes beat up nazis too :lol:

Nick

Reaction score
while whitechapel may be lumped into 'deathcore' they are actually a pretty good band.

So saying you dont like any band with core at the end probably isnt a great idea as its purley basing it on other peoples idea of what 'core' is which is ambigious at best.

youd also be missing out on bands like the faceless which get thrown on that pile as well.

Reaction score
/\

i think thats bullshit, the faceless is technical something or another. the skill of the faceless is astounding, throwing them in that pile is unfair. they're a genre nameless, not faceless
their roots are more traditional death than this crapshoot norm now though, at least thats what i hear
so, insert IMO lol

Nick

Reaction score
more like traditional death? ok listen to planetary duality then listen to deicide. sounds nothing like it whatsoever, apart from it involves guitars drums bass and vocals, the faceless use synths!!

the faceless could be likened to bands like all shall perish or necrophagist much easier.

saying they are more like traditional death is maybe just a way to justify liking them without being 'scene'.

Snoop

Custom User Title
Reaction score
btw, i think last album is bad, try listening to "Consumed by your poison".

failshredder

hammer every cock
Reaction score

Да, наверно. И может, единтсвенный русский? ;)

Your brutal-death cover is pretty impressive, by the way.

Reaction score
faceless use synth? i saw em live and i didn't see any of that going on. :lol:
apart from seeing them once and downloading one song i don't know much about the faceless. besides the drummer dude lord marco is a fucking beast
but yeah, they're nothing like deicide, no shit. deicide's better :lol:

yeah, no, seriously, i see your point absolutely. i don't own any faceless cd's (but i do have 7 deicide CD's)

the term death metal has been raped, just like hardcore, etc. what kids call death metal i don't (obviously)
like i said, they're in the realm of necrophagist and labeling them as deathcore or the like is completely unfair, since the type of bands we ranked in with that genre are nowhere near the level they are

Nick

Reaction score
yeah in your opinion, which in the scheme of things means absolutley nothing. Just like mine.

I like death metal like Nile and Cryptopsy and behemoth but i think deicide are completley awful does my liking the aforementioned bands make me an authority on what is and isnt death metal? deffinetly not.

there are 2 types of music, music you like and music you dont.

')