Detroit Metal City

• Thread starter Warpticon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Warpticon

Reaction score
hisis a currently-running anime series about a weak, sort of feminine guy who wants to be in a trendy pop band, but somehow ends up joining a death metal band called Detroit Metal City. Some of the funniest shit I have seen in a really long time.

crunchyroll - Detroit Metal City - Episode 1

There's ep 1..you can watch up to ep 8 there. Just....avoid the forums and comments unless you want to laugh. Strictly for viewing. :lol:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Demeyes

Reaction score
I didn't really like it. It just wasn't that funny to me.

+1
I saw this before and I was really not interested in it. It seemed really stupid to me, and I love stuff like Dethklok and some other childish anime stuff.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I haven't seen it (and I don't have time right now to click on the link), but I have read some of the comic. A live action movie version of it just came out (I think this month).

Even though they say "death metal," the band members look like they're from KISS and the music sounds like mid-tempo hard rock with Gackt-style vocals. That, however, is not limited to this comic. Most Japanese who hear the term "death metal" either have no idea what it is or imagine hard rock with KISS-style visuals. I have no idea why, because that image was around before this comic came out.

I've been wanting to take a look at this, but I haven't had a chance. The bass player in my band is really into the comic series. The humor is a kind that can be hard to understand if you don't understand Japanese popular culture (and overall culture), which pretty much no one understands who hasn't lived in Japan. :shrug: I do like the humor because it is just a really over-the-top tongue-in-cheek kind of thing. It has a lot of playing around with words which would make no sense or wouldn't be funny at all when translated into another language (lots of puns and uses of words that aren't funny what they mean but are funny how they sound).

SnowfaLL

Reaction score
isnt there a DMC movie, with Marty Friedman in it?? I wanted to check it out for that reason.. haha.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
How do you watch the videos? I can't find any actual videos on the site. All it does is take me to a screen with a screenshot from the video. I did everything in the help file, such as installing the latest version of Flash and trying it out in Firefox... :confused:

Warpticon

Reaction score
isnt there a DMC movie, with Marty Friedman in it?? I wanted to check it out for that reason.. haha.

I don't know about Marty Friedman, but I do know it has Gene Simmons. :lol:

As for the lack of display...i dunno. Maybe it's doing that "you need an account" thing. I don't know what the restrictions are there. It's weird.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
As for the lack of display...i dunno. Maybe it's doing that "you need an account" thing. I don't know what the restrictions are there. It's weird.

But I have an account. That was the first thing I did. :shrug:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
No, I was automatically logged in from the moment I "joined." Restarted browsers, tried on two different computers, and tried with 2 different web browsers.

I just gave up and downloaded the episodes (I live in Japan, but it's not illegal, I guess, because the show has only been on TV for a few months and no DVD has been released yet). The show is pretty hilarious, but not as funny as the comic series, which is even more extreme than the TV show (if you can believe it) and even a little more off the wall. The bass player for my band got tickets for the premier of live action version of the movie.

I do find it hard to believe that someone who listened to trendy French and Scandinavian pop and semi-alternative music could write metal riffs, super offensive metal lyrics, and sing them in that kind of style. But, then again, the entire show is a complete joke, making fun of pretty much everything (you'll notice that they make fun of his trendy side just as much as they make fun of metal).

Warpticon

Reaction score
No, I was automatically logged in from the moment I "joined." Restarted browsers, tried on two different computers, and tried with 2 different web browsers.

I just gave up and downloaded the episodes (I live in Japan, but it's not illegal, I guess, because the show has only been on TV for a few months and no DVD has been released yet). The show is pretty hilarious, but not as funny as the comic series, which is even more extreme than the TV show (if you can believe it) and even a little more off the wall. The bass player for my band got tickets for the premier of live action version of the movie.

I do find it hard to believe that someone who listened to trendy French and Scandinavian pop and semi-alternative music could write metal riffs, super offensive metal lyrics, and sing them in that kind of style. But, then again, the entire show is a complete joke, making fun of pretty much everything (you'll notice that they make fun of his trendy side just as much as they make fun of metal).

Weird on the technical difficulties. Oh, well. And it's really hard to imagine more extreme + off the wall, but I guess that means I'll need to check that out, too. :lol: I've probably watched the trailer for the movie 20 times now. Lyrics to the song at the end are too good. :lol:

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I like the songs, mainly because of how hilarious they are. On the animated TV show, the songs are basically metal mixed with hard rock. For the live action movie, the music is pretty much just hard rock with no real elements of metal at all.

I don't own any of the comics, but the other guitarist in my band has every volume that's been released so far (part of the reason why I've read about 2 volumes of it so far). He said, "Yeah, it's definitely not death metal, but it's the most hilarious comic series out right now." I've been meaning to pick some copies up myself at a used book store, but I've been forgetting.

I'll have to watch the live action movie before I give it any of my opinions, but I'm assuming that the comic series will still be the best, followed by the animated series, and last by the live action movie.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
Gene Simons plays Jack in the new movie (Jack is the retiring American Black Metal emperor that supposedly has this Satanic guitar owned by this dude who kinda resembled Chuck Schuldinger). Somehow all the guitars in the series look like Gibsons, though... SGs, Vs, Les Pauls...

I went to the rental shop and rented a few DVDs and I found out that actually some DMC DVDs just got released recently. They had volume 1, 2, and 3 in the "New DVDs" section, with 4 episodes per DVD, so I rented Volume 3.

Naren

OldschoolGhettostyle
Reaction score
I'm certain it'll eventually get a domestic release. I can't even imagine what it'll sound like dubbed. :lol:

I'm sure the level of humor would go wayyyyyy down, considering that at least half of the jokes are based off of puns or of how silly certain expressions sound. A lot of the jokes aren't even remotely funny meaning-wise, but are hilarious by how they're said. The trendy French music-loving cafe-going types that the comic series makes fun of so much probably will be lost on most Americans (and definitely on Europeans) because there is no culture for that in the States (and even less likelihood of one in Europe).

')