Developed Habits

• Thread starter JStraitiff
  • Start date
  • Tags
    habits
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JStraitiff

Melodic Mamma Jamma
Reaction score
I notice things about my playing that i find are kind of abnormal or unique to me all the time. One of them is that i rarely ever bend up except for on my highest strings. I almost always pull the string to bend rather than push up.

What kinds of habits have you guys developed that you think are unique to your playing?

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Pulling down on the low strings makes sense because there's more room before you go off the fretboard :lol:

I just do the basic retard faces while soloing sometimes.

Dayn

Reaction score
Hmm... Well, I play in a classical position because I've always sat in my office chairs with arms. I often play with my guitar angled back along the neck axis as if I was laying on my back... because I love to lean back and recline in said office chairs. So I suppose that's what's really influenced my technique. It makes tapping easy, at least.

Grimbold

Reaction score
i do weird things with my tongue

also when playing REALLY fast (like upwards of 400 bpm) while sitting down my leg starts to twitch...

ISRAFEL

Reaction score
If someone is talking to me while I'm playing guitar, I sometimes whip out quick some blues licks as if their singing something and I'm backing them up...

Varcolac

Frets? What frets?
Reaction score
Apparently I flare my nostrils when I change position. This is true for every instrument: guitar, bass, cello, violin, ukulele. I even flare them when I change register on a tin whistle.

dNate

Reaction score
Well, a horrible habbit I have is that I will sometimes block myself from getting into a zone when writing. Sometimes I start writing and I start getting overwhelmed by how much time I am willing to put into writing something so I let my mind wander and I end up not playing anymore and it has, at times, cut a really good writing session short. It's a weird self sabotage thing that I really hope I can overcome.

Other than that I have in the past started drooling as I play. It used to happen more often than it does these days but it would happen if I was able to really concentrate on something I was playing.

celticelk

Reaction score
If I'm sitting down while playing, I'll rock back and forth if I'm really into it.

I do that standing up. If I ever played gigs, it might be somewhat embarassing. In my practice room, nobody notices. Or at least that Ganesh statue is keeping quiet about it.

K4RM4

ss.org Lurker
Reaction score
hmm, i think this qualifies as an odd practice habit;
I pretend i'm on stage rocking out to a sold out stadium....i do the head movents as though i'm looking out over the crowd and up to the nosebleeds. Sometimes i do it even if i'm just practicing maj/min scales, :p, i'm really into it when i'm playing covers and pretend as though i won a contest and got to jam on stage with whoever i'm covering.

But then my wife will come in and i get shy about my playing again and give her one of those "move along, nothing to see here" looks.

')