Device thread (Disturbed/Filter side project)

• Thread starter linchpin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
Not everyone will jump for joy but it has been an interesting idea to hear and consider me impressed... :hbang:

David Draiman along with ex-Filter guitarist Geno Lenardo will have the self titled album released on April 9th.

"Device" track listing:

01. You Think You Know
02. Penance
03. Vilify
04. Close My Eyes Forever (Ozzy Osbourne & Lita Ford cover) (feat. Lzzy Hale)
05. Out Of Line (feat. Serj Tankian, Geezer Butler)
06. Hunted
07. Opinion (feat. Tom Morello)
08. War Of Lies
09. Haze (feat. M. Shadows)
10. Through It All (feat. Glenn Hughes)

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

TheFerryMan

Sauvage
Reaction score
honestly i don't hate this, actually it's pretty good.

sick of Lizzy hale though, she seems to be the go to for female rock and it's just...ug.

celticelk

Reaction score
Good to see that Draiman's keeping up the 80s-cover tradition with his new band. =)

Toxic Dover

Reaction score
I'm liking what I've heard so far... Interested to hear some of the collaborations on the album, too. Should be pretty good!

celticelk

Reaction score
Am I the only who hears that as Disturbed with shittier guitar work?

..and 87% more "fuck."

Seriously, didn't that brand of shitty pseudo-industrial metal go out of fashion in 2002 or thereabouts?

RevDrucifer

Reaction score
I was REALLY hoping this project would be cool. I'm not a big Disturbed fan, but Draiman is a great singer. He's done a few things I really dig and I was hoping this would explore a different aspect of him as a singer. Different phrasing/feel....but this track definitely does not show ANY evidence of that.

That could have been a vocal track from a Disturbed song.

And I LOVE Filter, but I always figured Richard Patrick was running that show, so I'm not too surprised by what I heard musically in this.

Kinda bummed though.

Draiman is producing Trivium's new disc....they're another band I keep waiting to hear something really killer from because they always seem right on the edge of it for me. He better not fuck it all up.

Korbain

Stay negative!
Reaction score
Seriously, didn't that brand of shitty pseudo-industrial metal go out of fashion in 2002 or thereabouts?

No? Was this genre even a big fashion in music?! They want to do this style of music, i think it rocks, if you don't that's cool.

Even if you were right, aslong as they're enjoying writing this style of music who cares if it's in fashion or not lol

Anyway, cool stuff! was pumped when he started mentioning this, keen as fuck to hear the song with tom morello! :hbang:

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
I was REALLY hoping this project would be cool. I'm not a big Disturbed fan, but Draiman is a great singer. He's done a few things I really dig and I was hoping this would explore a different aspect of him as a singer. Different phrasing/feel....but this track definitely does not show ANY evidence of that.

That could have been a vocal track from a Disturbed song.

And I LOVE Filter, but I always figured Richard Patrick was running that show, so I'm not too surprised by what I heard musically in this.

Kinda bummed though.

Draiman is producing Trivium's new disc....they're another band I keep waiting to hear something really killer from because they always seem right on the edge of it for me. He better not fuck it all up.

Same here. I love Filter, a lot. I guess I had hoped it'd sound like Filter with Draiman pulling off a more subdued vocal style, something more along the lines of the song he did with Jon Davis for the Queen of the Damned soundtrack.

But hey, at least it's not full of that goddamned barking shit.

Gnome7

Reaction score
Same here. I love Filter, a lot. I guess I had hoped it'd sound like Filter with Draiman pulling off a more subdued vocal style, something more along the lines of the song he did with Jon Davis for the Queen of the Damned soundtrack.

Barking shit? Is this a shot at death metal? If so you're a complete idiot, if that's not what you're talking about than I apologize in advance. Even the shittiest death metal is far superior than this.

GunpointMetal

Reaction score

I think he's referring to the dim-witted "ooh, ah-ah-ah" shit that guy sprinkles on everything.....I'm sorry, but with few exceptions David Draiman sounds like guy a tracking vox while pushing out a shit after eating nothing but peanuts for two weeks......not my thing, can't see this being a big deal after the first 15 minutes...

jwade

Doooooooooom
Reaction score
Barking shit? Is this a shot at death metal? If so you're a complete idiot, if that's not what you're talking about than I apologize in advance. Even the shittiest death metal is far superior than this.

Death metal? Wow, that's one hell of a fucked-up leap from talking about disturbed and Filter. No, oh confused denizen of the interwebs, I was referring to David Draiman's penchant for 'enhancing' Disturbed's songs with a vocal technique that is essentially a chimpanzee's mating call/battle cry.

Here you go, enjoy (or, more accurately, suffer):

celticelk

Reaction score
We care about fashion now?... since when? :scratch:

Well, in my case, it's because I actually think Draiman is one of the more interesting vocalists to come out of that late-90s/early-00s radio-friendly metal scene (barking aside), and I'd like to hear him doing a little more nuanced and progressive than retreading flash-in-the-pan industrial metal. I also freely admit to having a soft spot due to his penchant for covers of 80s radio hits.

linchpin

Specter
Reaction score
Well, in my case, it's because I actually think Draiman is one of the more interesting vocalists to come out of that late-90s/early-00s radio-friendly metal scene (barking aside), and I'd like to hear him doing a little more nuanced and progressive than retreading flash-in-the-pan industrial metal. I also freely admit to having a soft spot due to his penchant for covers of 80s radio hits.
When you say nuanced and progressive and I look at current "trends" out there, I shudder a little... I get really confused when the words fashion or relevance get mentioned regarding heavy music, I who happen play in an Industrial band feel no threat from what's happening out there, not being part of a rat race is a step forward for Draiman who in the past got accused playing it safe.

Latest posts

')